Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Conceived, Shot, and Edited in 48 Hours...

Conceived, Shot, and Edited in 48 Hours...
surfwax95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2006, 03:24 PM

This past weekend I participated in the 48 Hour Film Project, a festival in which teams are given a genre, character name, prop, a specific line of dialogue, and 48 hours. I participated last year and it was so fun I just had to do it again this year.

Character name/job: Bob Maloney, Lawyer
Prop: Cell phone
Genre: Fantasy

Friday, we went to the meeting where teams drew their genre from a hat. We were hoping for an overly-broad genre like, drama or action/adventure, but we ended up getting Fantasy. I wasn't too happy with that, but we worked with what we got. It was 7:00pm and it was due 7:30 Sunday night.

My team spent all Friday night coming up with a short script and I drew up a shot-list and storyboard, we went to sleep around 1. Saturday, we woke up at 7am and went to a local park (which we had to get permission to shoot) and started blocking/rehearsing. We finished shooting at around 7pm, right before sunset. When we got home we watched every ounce of video marking time codes for good/bad shots/takes to make editing easier. I started ingesting video at around 10pm and stayed up until maybe 3am. Everyone slept in on Sunday except me, I woke up around 6am and started editing. Didn't hit export until 5:45pm. We had it rendered, encoded, and burning at 6:50. Luckily I live rather close to the drop off spot. We got it in on time.

We shot this entire video in HDV with two Sony HDR-FX1s, which I purchased for shooting weddings. We also shot using Sony's "film look" settings, called Cinematone and Cineframe (which is 24P) Audio was captured with two Azden wireless mics and a Sony shotgun mic. I'm not incredibly happy with the audio (a lot of hiss), and the wireless mics record in Mono, which kind of sucks.

Here's the movie..

We edited on my dual 1.8Ghz Powermac G5 using Final Cut Pro. The songs were scored by one of my friends (I'm not too happy with it, but it worked).
________
mac life

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2006, 04:26 PM

eek myspace!
we don't have time to stop for gas

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2006, 06:17 PM

Not bad. I enjoyed it. I'm not gonna say it was a masterpiece plot, but I can see the talent beneath.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2006, 06:19 PM

Nice work! Good editing and acting and such.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2006, 06:33 PM

Myspace is too horrible to click on. I'll take a raincheck on that video, in the hope that you find a proper host..

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 12:21 AM

i would but myspace is evil and my work blocks it. EVIL.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2006, 02:12 AM

Ashley loved it and she thinks y'all are wonderful....does she need to hit y'all upside the head with a monkeywrench ?

Seriously, it was good. Why not work on something that you can really put some time into. I'm not a big fan of the -hurry up and do it -type events.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules