Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this Photoshopped?

Is this Photoshopped?
Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 11:52 AM

Certainly seems so, but I actually think it's real. Cool picture nonetheless.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 12:00 PM

real
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 12:05 PM

Looks real to me. You can see river water through the nose fan which isn't easy to do in photoshop unless you recreate most of the area.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jun 17, 2006, 12:08 PM

It's real.
Over at my pilots forum, one fella posted pics of the whole airshow.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2006, 01:33 PM

That is a very cool shot though....Links on more or the name of the air show I can check out?
Who reads this???

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2006, 01:40 PM

Warthog seems kinda out of place in the company of the fighters

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 01:56 PM

If it weren't for the Warthog those fighters would all get shot down by surface-to-air ballistics

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
Looks real to me. You can see river water through the nose fan which isn't easy to do in photoshop unless you recreate most of the area.
Maybe the Mustang is real. I have a friend that is nuts about aircrafts and he showed me a web page where all modern US airfighters are arranged as a collage in a manner that they all seem to fly in parallel towards the observer. And these three machines remind me strongly of that (high res) pic.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

hart
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 03:57 PM

that's NYC isn't it? I saw those go over head. It was a wierd grouping tho. It was actually a bit ... offputting? disconcerting? to have jets overhead. NPR made an announcement that it was just an airshow after receiving a number of worried calls.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 04:18 PM

People, you see this all the bloody time at airshows all over the country.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
If it weren't for the Warthog those fighters would all get shot down by surface-to-air ballistics
Surface to air munitions are not usually ballistic.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 06:09 PM

Wow those are all pretty close aren't they? I didn't realize planes could fly that close, I would have thought they'd be worried about hitting one another.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 09:33 PM

I'm perfectly willing to believe the photo is real.

Two things to consider anyway:
While the P-51 was a fast plane for its time and still is by prop-drivin standards (I would assume) but its not nearly as fast as the F-15 or the F-16. This means in-order to fly in formation like that the jet fighters have to fly slower than normal. We've learned quite a bit about aerodynamics as well as propulsion since the Mustang and the result is aircraft that are not as forgiving at low speeds as your uncle's Cessna. This is made up for with computerized systems (fly-by-wire) that do a lot of the thinking as well as interpret input give by the pilot via the controls.
The A-10 is an older design and serves a different purpose, it needs to have good handling characteristics at low speeds so this is less applicable to it.

The second is that I'd expect to see some distortion/turbulence from heat in the areas behind the jet engines, and I don't see anything obvious.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 10:21 PM

The picture has been shot with a long lens, creating the impression that the planes are closer than they actually are. Cool pic.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2006, 10:28 PM

Fair enough. Still, it looks a bit funny in that company (Warthog is one of my favorite planes). Never much cared for the Falcon or Eagle.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Wow those are all pretty close aren't they? I didn't realize planes could fly that close, I would have thought they'd be worried about hitting one another.
Have you ever seen a military flight demo team preform? Blue Angels, Thunderbirds or your own Snowbirds? The maneuvers and formations they fly are taught to all fighter pilots. As Mas said, it seems that they aren't likely as close as the appear in that picture, but it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that they can fly in that tight of a formation, or even tighter.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Fair enough. Still, it looks a bit funny in that company (Warthog is one of my favorite planes). Never much cared for the Falcon or Eagle.
Warthog is my favorite plane as well, always has been. In the early 90's they replaced the A-10's at the local airbase with F-16's, and I really miss seeing them in the sky.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jun 17, 2006 at 10:42 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by hart
that's NYC isn't it? I saw those go over head. It was a wierd grouping tho. It was actually a bit ... offputting? disconcerting? to have jets overhead. NPR made an announcement that it was just an airshow after receiving a number of worried calls.
That's a picture looking South along the East River at the 59th Street bridge, I think.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 11:16 PM

I saw a documentary on the blue angels on either Discovery or INHD... I think they fly as close as 6' from each other (wing tip to wing tip) in formation.

Those military demo teams are pretty much the best pilots among their peers. Although the Thunderbirds seems to have had an unusually high number of incidents throughout their history (I think).

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann

Certainly seems so, but I actually think it's real. Cool picture nonetheless.

Wow, I guess it is real

1:14 pm - 1:24 pm F-15, F-16, A-10, P-51 Heritage Flight

I'll bet that P-51 was pushing it to the max, and the F-15 and F-16 were almost ready for fall out of the sky.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 11:33 PM

While searching for the P-51 specs, I stumbled across a web site dedicated to the P-51 can opener.

A whole web site for a little metal can opener.

I am sure there is nothing unusual, but I thought it was worth posting.

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml#e

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 18, 2006, 12:05 AM

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go
Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone
Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the track
And shovin' into overdrive
I'll take you
Right into the Danger Zone
You'll never say hello to you
Until you get it on the red line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go
Out along the edges
Always where I burn to be
The further on the edge
The hotter the intensity
Gonna take you
Right into the Danger Zone

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by christ
Surface to air munitions are not usually ballistic.
Thanks. I bet you're great at parties too.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
correction--this type of scene could be done in 3D and composited in photoshop, as the 3D app would output an alpha channel which would recognize motion blur as well. And I really can't imagine how or why anyone would make such a fabrication but with 3D.

Looks real to me.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 06:08 AM

Thanks. I bet you're great at parties too.
Nope. Na-ah. Not me.

What's a party?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 06:44 AM

incredible photo.
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2006, 04:44 PM

Buckaroo, you're wrong about these planes not being compatible in formation. The F-16 and F-15 can fly quite slowly-figure around 230-250kts is comfortable for them (if a bit mushy). The P-51's stall speed is around 100MPH, so 230-250kts is comfortable for that too. The A-10 can go very slowly, and I believe (but can't find hard facts on it) that it won't stall at 100MPH. These aircraft were flying in a nice, tight formation, so nobody was having problems.

And the P-51 can opener is a larger, more robust version of the simple P-38 can opener. A classic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Jun 18, 2006, 04:48 PM

Great pictures!

Now, what was the fifth plane?
( Last edited by FeLiZeCaT; Jun 18, 2006 at 06:26 PM. )
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The A-10 can go very slowly
78 kts

The P-51 can go 400+ (270 cruise)
Chris. T.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by christ
78 kts

The P-51 can go 400+ (270 cruise)
Where do you find stuff like that? Most modern military jets don't have a "stall speed" per se, but they have a landing envelope speed that describes how slowly they can fly and still be manuverable-but I haven't found anything like that for the F-15, F-16, F-4, or A-10... And that's very frustrating.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 07:55 PM

I didn't mention the A-10 since it can almost just hang in the air. The A-10 with it's Tank killing 30mm gatling gun can make a mess of most tanks, if not all.

As far as the P-51 can fly at 400+ at 25,000 feet altitude. I couldn't find what it's max speed was at 4,000 feet.

I'm not sure what the stall speed of the F-15 and F16, but I'm sure it will do fine at 250 knots. I've seen them fly by slower at air shows (with flaps and gear down).

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I didn't mention the A-10 since it can almost just hang in the air. The A-10 with it's Tank killing 30mm gatling gun can make a mess of most tanks, if not all.
Yeah, that's something you won't find on the other three.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 03:02 AM

The P-51 Mustang is a thing of beauty. My god, what a gorgeous plane.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2006, 08:56 AM

THAT is a GAU-8. It's longer than an original VW bug. It has two rates fo fire-3000 and 6000 rounds per minute. It can fly slowly enough to make pass after pass after pass on an armored column or mass of armor and utterly destroy it. And it can turn on the proverbial dime. Back in the mid-80s, I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin TX, and that's where these planes were delivered from the factory. I set up the audio system for a demonstration flight by an A-10 for a bunch of TAC generals. That thing can turn completely around at battle speed in less than 100 yards. It can fly inverted flat and level, unlike the F-15 and F-16 which have to pitch up to fly inverted. And it's QUIET. A great plane!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by macroy
Those military demo teams are pretty much the best pilots among their peers. Although the Thunderbirds seems to have had an unusually high number of incidents throughout their history (I think).
I have to disagree. The military demo pilots are not the best pilots among their peers, just the most famous. All fighter pilots can fly formation as well. It's a basic skill that has to be mastered by everyone. The demo pilots are not hired for their flying skills, but rather their ability to look good in public and schmooze at cocktail parties and receptions. Their job is 99 percent public relations and 1% flying.

Chris

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jun 19, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
The picture has been shot with a long lens, creating the impression that the planes are closer than they actually are. Cool pic.
Actually you can tell from the perspective that it was shot with a medium wide angle lens...like a 28mm or a 35 mm.

But yeah, pretty spiffy picture. I wonder what the photographer was flying in.

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Jun 19, 2006, 05:33 PM

As far as the P-51 can fly at 400+ at 25,000 feet altitude. I couldn't find what it's max speed was at 4,000 feet.

I'm not sure what the stall speed of the F-15 and F16, but I'm sure it will do fine at 250 knots. I've seen them fly by slower at air shows (with flaps and gear down).
The difficult love for the marvels of engineering and their evil effects...

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Buckaroo, you're wrong about these planes not being compatible in formation. The F-16 and F-15 can fly quite slowly-figure around 230-250kts is comfortable for them (if a bit mushy).
Indeed. I've seen these planes practically hover on their tails at airshows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules