Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VMWare is coming to Mac OS X

VMWare is coming to Mac OS X
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 22, 2006, 08:20 AM

http://www.virtualization.info/2006/...ationinfo.html

VI: Parallels Inc., the last company entered in the virtualization market, just released a desktop virtualization product for new Apple Mac OS X for Intel architectures, beating any competitor on time.
Customers are a bit surprised the market leader, founding its success on a high quality desktop product like VMware Workstation, is still mum about a possible presence in the Apple operating system. Isn't VMware interested in Apple market?

RR: With Apple switching to x86-based processors, robust and proven virtualization capabilities for Apple users is an interesting opportunity. We have stated that we do have VMware running on Mac OS X in our labs - stay tuned for future announcements in this area.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
http://www.virtualization.info/2006/...ationinfo.html

VI: Parallels Inc., the last company entered in the virtualization market, just released a desktop virtualization product for new Apple Mac OS X for Intel architectures, beating any competitor on time.
Customers are a bit surprised the market leader, founding its success on a high quality desktop product like VMware Workstation, is still mum about a possible presence in the Apple operating system. Isn't VMware interested in Apple market?

RR: With Apple switching to x86-based processors, robust and proven virtualization capabilities for Apple users is an interesting opportunity. We have stated that we do have VMware running on Mac OS X in our labs - stay tuned for future announcements in this area.

That would be nice, as the VMWare Player is free.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 08:47 AM

Woot!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 06:41 PM

I suspect they're waiting for August 7th to see what Apple will be doing with Leopard.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jun 23, 2006, 01:31 PM

I for one don't care what Apple does in Leopard, I still want vmware on OS X. I work with a lot of VM's images and it would be awesome not have to reboot into windows to use those on my Macbook.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

craigb6
Jun 23, 2006, 04:43 PM

Is VMWare on Mac OS X just like Parallels, allowing you to run other OSs, or am I talking rubbish? If so, then it will be sweet if it's free like besson3c says.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by craigb6
Is VMWare on Mac OS X just like Parallels, allowing you to run other OSs, or am I talking rubbish? If so, then it will be sweet if it's free like besson3c says.
Yes, but at present, VMWare does not exist for mac...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by craigb6

It's not completely free.

VMWare Player is free, but it does not allow you to create new VMWare images - it only allows you to run images created in other VMWare products, such as VMWare Workstation.

VMWare Workstation has a free 60 day trial. You can create your image in Workstation, and continue to use it in Player beyond your 60 day trial.

VMWare is actually very easy to use, so you can easily setup your Windows image within your trial period.

We will need both Workstation and Player for the Mac to give you this sort of setup, although I imagine you could transfer your VMWare images created on another machine to your Mac to run in Player (or any other VMware product). Really, the big thing will be for the free Player to be available. Player basically seems like a sort of stripped down VMWare Workstation, so I don't think it would be incredibly difficult for the company to make both available, but I have no idea what their official plans are.. do you, Eug Wanker?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I have no idea what their official plans are.. do you, Eug Wanker?
I do not.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2006, 08:13 PM

I do not.

Where did you read this announcement from, if you don't mind me asking?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Where did you read this announcement from, if you don't mind me asking?
The link is in the first post.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2006, 08:34 PM

The link is in the first post.

Sorry, sometimes I'm dumb.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2006, 10:19 PM

Server is free (used to be GSX), its still in Beta but works fine. You can also get premade images for Player that you can configure for whatever OS you want to load on it. I don't see "virtualization" coming to Leapord, just BootCamp. Apple has made no indication it will virtualize anything.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Forum Links
Forum Rules