Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbooktech.com?

powerbooktech.com?
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2005, 06:15 PM

Has anyone done any business with this vendor for used laptop parts?

I found it from a link at powerbookcentral.com

I liked the fact that they recommend torx wrenches and have some nice install diagrams on their site.

But they do not have any contact info except an email, so I'm wondering whether anyone else has tried to purchase from them.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 10:58 PM

Update: other than poor customer service (they did not reply to my emails), I received my order with functional pieces today. Their online instructions were fine, very easy to do the install. Another repaired Pismo running Tiger!

JByro1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 11:17 AM

This post is a little old, so I was wondering if anyone has purchased from powerbooktech.com recently. Their site it still up there, and as far as I can find, they are the cheapest around.

Like SEkker, I am a bit concerned that they only have an email address on their site, and so far they have not responded to my inqueries.

Thanks!
( Last edited by JByro1; Jul 9, 2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Add Clickable Link)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 12:34 PM

what are you guys looking for? You can often find parts in the Marketplace forum. You can also check ifixit.com... they're usually really good, but I just had a bad experience with them.

JByro1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2006, 10:33 PM

Well I was just looking to see if they are credible. Like I said in my previous post, they are the cheapest vendor for powerbook parts I've seen on the web.

My only problem is that their site is a bit "shady" looking. Also, the only contact info on the entire website is an email address, which so far, I haven't gotten a response from.

JByro1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 09:38 AM

So powerbooktech.com responded to one of my emails, which boosts my level of confidence enough to buy.

And FYI, they have a return policy where you can return working parts for up to 6 months with a full refund!

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JByro1
So powerbooktech.com responded to one of my emails, which boosts my level of confidence enough to buy.

And FYI, they have a return policy where you can return working parts for up to 6 months with a full refund!
This is new. They DID eventually ship me the part I ordered, but they never responded to my email.

The replacement part was not 100% up to spec - but that might not have been their fault (being a used part and all).

JByro1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 10:51 PM

About how long did it take them to ship to you?

And by not 100% up to spec, do you mean damaged?

Lastly, would you recommend that anyone purchase from them / would you purchase from them again?

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 11:23 PM

The shipping time was not too bad, as I recall -- but it was more than 10 days, and I only received my order after I sent emails and posted here. Frankly, I had given up thinking I had been fooled, then the part arrived in a simple box with no clear documentation enclosed.

The part was a replacement AC board for my Pismo. The part, when installed, did initially correct the problem I had with this laptop (it was the third such board for the machine). However, after a few weeks, I realized the board was acting intermittantly -- and this was beyond whatever warranty that I recalled came with the part.

I would not order from them again because (1) I felt there was no support (I never received a response email to them) (2) I am concerned the only reason they sent me the part was because I complained on this and a second mac board and (3) I am not confident that the parts they sell are decent quality.

To be fair, this part breaks all the time on Pismo and Lombard model Macs. They may have sent me a board that passed all standard tests, but there was enough mileage on it that it was not fully 100%. But other vendors on the web will provide support -- I remember one vendor when the replacement part broke out of warranty offer a coupon if I wanted to reorder it, for example -- or even respond to email.

On the web (and elsewhere), let the buyer beware. If you have a successful experience with them, please post it here!

cargoplex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 02:43 PM

Well, unfortunately I found this thread too late and placed an order with Powerbooktech.com for a replacement Logic Board for my old PowerBook G4 titanium. It seemed like a good price, and would allow me to upgrade from 667MHz to 1GHz, so I was very much looking forward to it.

Having said that, I only placed my order on Aug. 9, but since then I have received only one email from them with UPS tracking information. This would be fine except for the fact that to this day, the UPS tracking number they provided simply displays that the billing information has been received - which suggests that the package was never shipped. I followed up this Monday, sending them an email to inquire about the UPS tracking info and to make sure that my package actually did ship on the 9th.

By yesterday I had not received a reply from them, so I sent them another email stating that if I don't either A. get my logic board by Friday or B. hear from them regarding the status of my order by Friday, I will file a claim with PayPal to retract my payment. The UPS Ground map on their website indicates that a shipment from Berkeley, CA to Maryland should take a maximum of 6 days, which would have placed it here today if actually shipped on the 9th.

I have never seen such a pathetic attempt at a company that can't even reply to a simple email. I will say this, even if I do by chance still get this logic board, they can rest assured that they're not going to get any recommendations from me!

By the way, thanks for your info on this thread everyone!

cargoplex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 03:42 PM

To anyone who cares, just thought I'd follow up to my previous rant...

I never did receive a single email from the lovely folks at PowerbookTech.com, but I did receive my replacement logic board on Friday. I installed the board Friday night and my powerbook is faster and better than ever! So, I guess I can't complain, but it sure would be a little reassuring for customers to get responses to their emails. Whatever

SPlink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 07:33 PM

I know the thread is a bit old but: It would not surprise me if Powerbooktech was no more than some guy operating a business from his bedroom. They say the do not currently do repairs, but when I mentioned a particular problem and asked for a few specific parts I actually got the reply that I could send my computer to them and they would repair and/or replace the parts. After waiting six or seven weeks for my computer to return, and countless emails with no reply, I got it back in working order, but when I did some poking around I noticed that some of the previoulsy working parts had been replaced (I know because I remember scratching a cover once and this was no longer scratched) I don't know why this happened I can only imagine that the parts of my computer were sold as single parts to someone else and then replaced with some other ones. Do not do business with these guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules