Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook On fire!

MacBook On fire!
cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 02:32 PM

This is crazy, my mom is a top exec for HP, lol, and she finally bought herself a Mac after letting her use mine, and her macbook arrived today, the 13 inch white with all the extra features you could add. Well, she turned it on, and before it even got to the first setup screen, a bright orange flash burst up from the vents at the bottom of the screen, and then grey smoked shot out. She called apple and they are sending her a brand new one once they recieve verification of this one being shipped back via FedEx. The macbook was from build week 26. Here are some pictures.
[removed two oversize inline images --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 7, 2006 at 11:49 AM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 02:43 PM

Yikes!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 02:44 PM

Dude, send this story to TUAW!
Mac mini | 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
iPod (5.5G - white) | 30GB

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 03:03 PM

whats TUAW if you dont mind?

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 03:04 PM

Before sending it in, check if your version of MacLighter was up to date.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 03:07 PM

it really sucks because she had it no longer than 5 minutes! shes been tracking the shipping ever since she placed the order and it came today and now this. Is apple really having so many problems with the MacBooks?

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
Before sending it in, check if your version of MacLighter was up to date.
lol, it might not have, i didnt have a chance to check for updates, lol.
I wonder if it had caught fire more then it did, and wound up burning something or hurting my mom, how apple would handle it?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 6, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic
it really sucks because she had it no longer than 5 minutes! shes been tracking the shipping ever since she placed the order and it came today and now this. Is apple really having so many problems with the MacBooks?

Well that is hardly a fire. It is prob just some capacitor or PMU blowing out. This can happen easily with every electronic product

"Hello, what have we here?

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Well that is hardly a fire. It is prob just some capacitor or PMU blowing out. This can happen easily with every electronic product
It can, but electronic devices emitting small explosions are actually rather rare.

Blubby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
How many electronic products have expoded on you? You must be seriously unlucky!

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blubby
How many electronic products have expoded on you? You must be seriously unlucky!
He's right, it wasn't a fire nor an explosion. It was a capacitor blowing. Happens all the time in electronics actually. You just may or may not see the flash

j0nkatz
Jul 6, 2006, 04:50 PM

I had a cap blow on my Central Air compressor outside a few days back and I thought someone was shooting off fireworks a few days early. Thank goodness for homeowners warranty.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 05:16 PM

Before we blame the MacBook, let's not forget that a power surge could've caused the explosion as well.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
Before we blame the MacBook, let's not forget that a power surge could've caused the explosion as well.
it was running off the battery, and there was a small flame for like 2 seconds...

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 09:52 PM

The more I read the more I confirm revision 2 and after is the only choice for these
iMac G4 / Macbook

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
The more I read the more I confirm revision 2 and after is the only choice for these
same here, i have a powerbook g4 that im going to keep just incase the macbookpro goes bad...
( Last edited by cbrfanatic; Jul 7, 2006 at 12:10 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by anamexis
It can, but electronic devices emitting small explosions are actually rather rare.
Unfortunately...

Every notebook session could be an adventure

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2006, 08:09 AM

Not to worry; I think Apple is comming out with a fire Mac-stinguisher accessory to accompany their next revision. See link:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3036

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2006, 08:16 AM

De-ja-vu, there's an iBook G3 fire video floating around somewhere, that was because of the screen cable though and the fact that the mark is near the hinge could put the screen cable as the culprit, but i'm purely speculating.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by buddy1065
Not to worry; I think Apple is comming out with a fire Mac-stinguisher accessory to accompany their next revision. See link:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3036
I hate this woman in the article. I can't stand people who try to get more than the deserve... $15,000 carpet in your hallway? I doubt it. Emotional damages to your son? Hardly. I hope they call Home Depot out to her house replace her $400 carpet and tell her to have a nice day. All my feelings for remorse are taken away by people who do bogus law suits.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 7, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Blubby
Ask powermac G5 owners. There is a HUGE thread on Macintouch about how current gen G5's power supplies are sparking out blowing out of the box.

It is never happened to me but when it does I would hardly call it a fire.

"Hello, what have we here?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I hate this woman in the article. I can't stand people who try to get more than the deserve... $15,000 carpet in your hallway? I doubt it. Emotional damages to your son? Hardly. I hope they call Home Depot out to her house replace her $400 carpet and tell her to have a nice day. All my feelings for remorse are taken away by people who do bogus law suits.
If I read it correctly, the family was thinking of suing Apple for the carpet, and it was the poster who suggested emotional damage. But they have enough money to buy their son a MacBook for Christmas, and he left it on the living room floor unattended...so apparently he doesn't appreciate it that much, he was downstairs playing his XBox at the time.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 7, 2006, 11:51 AM

No, Apple isn't having "so many" problems. Most buyers have no problems -- you have to remember that people who have problems complain loudly, while the people who have none just go about their business.

tooki

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2006, 10:34 AM

Hard to say. Forums like this really distort the perception of how reliable a computer is. Nobody starts a thread to say that their computer works and people with working computers are less likely to come to a forum like this in the first place. So everytime I buy a new Apple i'm paranoid after reading the forums. And everything i've bought in the last decade has worked like a charm, including my MacBook.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2006, 05:54 PM

I had a pmu go bad in my powerbook G4 within 6 months of owning it, and i bought it in august of 05.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2006, 05:57 PM

Update*
Apple promised to expedite the process and get her a new one asap, CS told her since she got a bad one that they will authorize an imediate build. she shipped it out the same day, 7-7, it is now the 12th and still no confirmation of shipment. how imediate is that?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2006, 06:02 PM

I blame Intel.™

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 07:22 PM

Call back and raise hell with them. Demand to get a discount as well!

24klogos
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2006, 09:43 PM

big mac, i agree.

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I blame Intel.™
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I blame Intel.™
I blame the fatty burger in your sig.

Give it a rest already.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 13, 2006, 02:16 AM

Haven't I already told you to knock it off, Big Mac?

Edit: yes, I have. Twice already, in fact, in May alone. You seriously are now given warning to stop polluting every thread you can find with anti-Intel propaganda, or you will be banned. Got it?

tooki
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 13, 2006 at 02:22 AM. )

Ronainsworth68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 12:34 PM

I have a MBP 15.4 and have not had any of the issues I have read about. It gets hot but thats it. I guess I just got lucky.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2006, 05:39 AM

The first Macbook I got (now been replaced with another which has also died recently..) supposedly died due to the overheating power adapter, which fried the machine. Was using it..suddenly my macbook turned off. The power adaptor was too hot to touch. v.v If anyone asks now, I'm not sure if I can recommend the macbook, the quality issues (for me) are below standard.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Forum Links
Forum Rules