Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 7th Day without my MB

7th Day without my MB
quiklee
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 09:06 PM

Seems the TopCase is on backorder at the Pasadena Store. I hope they replaced my logic board and don't claim the 3rd Party Ram is causing the random shutdowns!

the mac mini is cool, but it's annoying to carry around!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
Seems the TopCase is on backorder at the Pasadena Store. I hope they replaced my logic board and don't claim the 3rd Party Ram is causing the random shutdowns!

the mac mini is cool, but it's annoying to carry around!
Always remove any non-Apple hardware before returning your Mac to Apple for repair.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 12:17 AM

Hmm. Thats good advice super... SHould keep around the 512M of RAM that came with it should I ever need to use my Apple care.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 01:43 PM

i left my ram in there, since i didn't know about this . . . . what happens if you leave it in there?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 02:23 PM

Nothing 'happens' if you leave it in there, its just Apple could easily blame all the problems on the 3rd party RAM, and say its your fault you broke your machine... pay to fix it blah blah blah.

Also, if they ended up giving you a new machine... I have no idea what would happen to your 3rd party RAM
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 03:21 PM

hmm, good point, harrisjamieh.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

JasonBourne
Jul 15, 2006, 02:04 PM

I send my mac book white 80gb with 2gb third party ram. I also have logic board problem and it takes them forever to repair it so on the 3rd week I requested to replace my macbook and they did and I also told them I have 2gb ram on my macbook and they said they will replace them. On July 5th I received my brand new macbook with 120GB and 1GB ram. Few days later I received my other mac book and I also received a letter I need to send old one back and they will pay for shipping. So I took my 2gb ram and replaced it 512 original ram. Now I ended up with 120gb HD 2gb ram and extra 1gb ram. Thanks apple.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 07:55 PM

well . . i just called and they said that my macbook is being shipped back now with a brand new logic board and topcase . . . i really don't care about getting replacement that much, since getting a new logic board is basically the same thing . . . plus all the apps and codecs i would have to reinstall would be a pain in the arse

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 12:16 AM

Apple stands by your AppleCare if you have 3rd party RAM installed.

The most they will do is try to isolate your RAM by installing test RAM and re-installing the OS on the system with good RAM to determine if your RAM was the cause of system problems.

They don't "void" your warranty if you have 3rd party RAM.

The fact is that cheap RAM is the cause of many system troubles.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules