Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaah !!!! Driving me NUTS !

HUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaah !!!! Driving me NUTS !
micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2000, 04:26 PM

Can anyone tell me what that the indexing of my harddisk is good for? HOW DO I SHUT IT OFF?

because about every time i am in a program that doesn't use the finder (like starcraft) this O SO USEFUL gadget kicks in, knocking me out of the game !

Apple : get organised yourself!
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2000, 06:02 PM

Got to your Sherlock Menu and turn off FBC Indexing Scheduler.

The purpose of the Indexing is so that you can find a file by simply entering a word or phrase within a document for example.

Mine's turned off too - if you file with some order, who needs it - and the unexpected interuptions bother me when I'm doing something.

WDL

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2000, 08:15 PM

I didn't think Indexing was automatically set by default to run, let alone more than once a day.

I do it once a month manually, and then just by label to do the Documents folder.

It helps to double the setting for Preferred partition size (Extension Folder => Find => Find By... and it also runs faster. (Same with Extension Manager - loads/updates when launched if you double IT'S Preferred also.... seems to be a chronic problem with way too many programs and vendors - having to go through all of that after every install.)

Gregory

Misha
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2000, 10:24 PM

You can also just disabled the Find By Content and FBC Indexing Scheduler extensions (which I'd do anyway if you don't plan on using that feature -- I never do).

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2000, 11:30 PM

Like Misha, I've disabled my extensions too. Indexing is probably a useful idea for some people with messy filing, but I agree with WDL that with some order in filing you don't need to index.

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 08-13-2000).]
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Phaedrus
Aug 14, 2000, 12:36 AM

I believe you can set it to run on a schedule, also. So if you do want to use it, just set it to index during times that you wont be using the computer.

It's a very nice feature--you can find files quickly and precisely. Using Windows to find something takes forever while it searches the C:/ drive, and even then it may not find it. Sherlock is an example of Apple at their best..

------------------

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2000, 11:26 AM

Find by Content and FBC Indexing can be enabled when you want to use and disabled at other times. Same with Software Update - no reboot necessary. - Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules