Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > G8 Summit

G8 Summit
Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 12:13 PM

Few things in Canada pleases me. But this one does, when an English or French person makes an effort and speaks in the other person's language. For example I saw over the weekend Mr. Strahl speak to a French person in French even though he is English speaking. He had an accent but no matter he made an effort and he spoke French very well.

Ok for the G8 summit, I am so happy that Russia is now a full partner in the G8 but I do not know who advised Mr. Harper about Mr. Putin, but Mr. Putin was not born in St. Petersburg, he was the mayor of that city. It made Mr. Harper look stupid when he said to Mr. Putin, so this is your hometown, this is not a honky tonk meeting, you do not speak like that. He could have said you were the mayor and made St. Petersburg a success. Flattery is the best policy especially when it comes to foreign politics. Especially when someone like Mr. Putin actually speaks English.

Too early to tell how the talks went, but at least Mr. Harper is more opened than Chretien was.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Ok for the G8 summit, I am so happy that Russia is now a full partner in the G8 but I do not know who advised Mr. Harper about Mr. Putin, but Mr. Putin was not born in St. Petersburg, he was the mayor of that city.
Uh...Putin was born in St. Petersburg, although it was called Leningrad at the time.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hey, check me out! I'm honky tonk too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules