Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > macnn music discovery -- list your favorites

macnn music discovery -- list your favorites
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2006, 02:14 PM

This post was inspired by a thread I found on another forum where a member requested names for underground rock bands specifically. I'd like to start the same, but open the thread to all musical genres.

So, if you've got a musical group, underground or not, let's hear about it. How about posting the group's name, the genre or style, and optionally a specific album or song. I've found some of my favorite groups through random recommendations and how this thread will bring about a few more.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 04:08 PM

Harvey Danger
B.R.M.C. flat out rules. Howl is a sick album
Built To Spill
The Lawrence Arms
Muse

Those are prolly my 5 favorites, enjoy.

BTW, I like the idea of this thread alot.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 04:10 PM

Anberlin
Apparently the lead singer was talking to a older guy at a show who said that he'd started listening to them and really enjoyed them and that his son had turned him on to them. He later found out the man was the father of the lead singer of Taking Back Sunday.
Family Force 5
Strange strange band, they're "Crunk Rock" they're probably the best thing that's happened to my heart rate on the elliptical on a long time.
The Wedding
Small indie band from down south. Sooooo freaking good. iTunes says I've played Morning Air 130 times, everyone who I've ever shown this band to has loved them.
Waking Ashland
Small indie piano rock band. They're insanely good and I love em to death.
Mat Kearney
Probably one of the best artists I've ever heard. check out his stuff on Sessions@AOL too, he really can play that good live! Well I haven't seen him play live but I hear he's amazing. He's going to be opening for John Mayer and Sheryl Crow or something soon. He just got signed to John Mayer's label too. If you buy on iTunes take note that he has two albums, get Nothing Left to Lose, half of the album Bullet is on it, and then just pick up the few tracks off bullet that aren't no Nothing Left to Lose, essentially he had half a new album when he got signed to the bigger label and they wanted to put out a new album ASAP so they kinda rebranded his old one and shifted things around since distribution was going to be on a much bigger scale.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 04:19 PM

Seconded on Anberlin...I LOVE them! The Wedding is good too!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 04:30 PM

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 04:39 PM

Oh! I also found a great band, The Wedding actually made a bulletin about them on myspace (sigh yes I use myspace) but I know all the people that aren't bands on my friends list!
myspace.com/mikekelly check out the song Ain't About Dreams Anymore
Goss I'm pretty sure you'd like em. They/He is a bit country but also a bit pop and a bit rock he's hard to pin down to one genre.

OH also check out Paul Wright! http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ist?id=5785176
He's Folk Hop, soooo catchy, so peaceful... love him to death. Sunrise to Sunset is such a good album. Though he's very Christian (most of the other artists I posted are all Christian artists but they're not the kind that sings about it every song.)

I also just got the new Plumb album a friend kept going on about her and I'm really enjoying her. http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...455&i=14812333

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
seconded

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by badidea
seconded
Thirded

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 18, 2006, 05:49 PM

Here's some bands that I've been listening to for a long time. At home or in the car, I'm probably listening to one of these:
Arab Strap - Scottish, love sucks poetry with awesome guitar
Camera Obscura - Scottish-nerd-pop
Belle and Sebastian - Scottish, again. You have heard of them, you just don't know it
Trembling Blue Stars - The saddest bloke I've ever met. Girl of his dreams dumped him years ago and he can't get over it
Coil - Electronic, trip your head off. NOT dance music!
Cat Power - Used to be "punk", now jazzy and sultry
Azure Ray - Acoustic, mellow chicks
Blonde Redhead - Spanish guys rocking with a high-pitched Chinese female singer who sounds like a cat got ran over
The Cranes - Kinda goth-y
The Decemberists - These were the guys you made fun of in high school
Emiliana Torrini - Voice kinda sounds like Bjork but more pop, jazz infused.
The Sundays - Think they split up years ago. English pop from the late 80's
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jul 18, 2006 at 05:56 PM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 05:53 PM

who?

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 18, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Camera Obscura - Scottish-nerd-pop
I just discovered Camera Obscura on Pandora. I really like them. Also checkout Acid House Kings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules