Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > If Hezbullah strikes America or Europe, will this justify a war against Iran?

If Hezbullah strikes America or Europe, will this justify a war against Iran?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 04:07 PM

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's Hizbollah, which claims links to the Lebanese group of the same name, said on Tuesday it stood ready to attack Israeli and U.S. interests worldwide.

"We have 2,000 volunteers who have registered since last year," said Iranian Hizbollah's spokesman Mojtaba Bigdeli, speaking by telephone from the central seminary city of Qom.

"They have been trained and they can become fully armed. We are ready to dispatch them to every corner of the world to jeopardise Israel and America's interests. We are only waiting for the Supreme Leader's green light to take action. If America wants to ignite World War Three ... we welcome it," he said.

If Hezbollah attacks the US, this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and the supposed WWIII will finally begin.

A lot of Westerners don't want to attack Iran at this point, for a whole variety of reasons. But I think everyone recognizes that Iran is being rather manipulative in its instigation of violence, and an attack by Hezbullah on America is tantamount to declaring war.

After all, Iran's head of state, the Supreme Leader, will be responsible for this action, not some shady, stateless terrorist organization like Al Qaeda. The enemy will be plain as day.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 04:24 PM

I'm sure (at least hope) that if Iran does decide to attack the US that we reply with everything short of Nuclear weapons.

Of course Anti-war folks would rationalize why we got attacked and try to understand why they attacked us.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 04:27 PM

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's Hizbollah, which claims links to the Lebanese group of the same name, said on Tuesday it stood ready to attack Israeli and U.S. interests worldwide.

"We have 2,000 volunteers who have registered since last year," said Iranian Hizbollah's spokesman Mojtaba Bigdeli, speaking by telephone from the central seminary city of Qom.

"They have been trained and they can become fully armed. We are ready to dispatch them to every corner of the world to jeopardise Israel and America's interests. We are only waiting for the Supreme Leader's green light to take action. If America wants to ignite World War Three ... we welcome it," he said.
If they did that There is nothing that would stop our bombers from levelling the country.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 04:42 PM

More on the issue of Iran plotting attacks:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...278008,00.html

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Tuesday, “The day of happiness for the region is near… The world is on the verge of great changes,” according to the Iranian news agency.

Ahmadinejad added that he considered Israel’s operation in Lebanon “a type of playing with fire.” (Dudi Cohen)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
I'm sure (at least hope) that if Iran does decide to attack the US that we reply with everything short of Nuclear weapons.
Narh. Let one of those nukes go* - remind people why we (the sane countries in the World) don't want loonies developing them.

(* at one of their out-of-town nuke development areas, not a major city)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 09:59 AM

Everyone itchy for WW3 eh? >shakes head<

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Narh. Let one of those nukes go* - remind people why we (the sane countries in the World) don't want loonies developing them.

(* at one of their out-of-town nuke development areas, not a major city)
Great idea! Should have been done a while ago.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wowway1
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 10:06 AM

WW3 = baaad, mmmmmkaaay?

I like how the US is being referenced even though we're keeping our distance on this conflict.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan

If Hezbollah attacks the US, this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and the supposed WWIII will finally begin.

A lot of Westerners don't want to attack Iran at this point, for a whole variety of reasons. But I think everyone recognizes that Iran is being rather manipulative in its instigation of violence, and an attack by Hezbullah on America is tantamount to declaring war.

After all, Iran's head of state, the Supreme Leader, will be responsible for this action, not some shady, stateless terrorist organization like Al Qaeda. The enemy will be plain as day.
So Hezbollah attacks Israel, which is a US interest. I don't see how WWIII is going to start.

Dream on guys.

KSE7696
Jul 19, 2006, 10:19 AM

They want a WW III and they are and will do whatever it takes to get it. Somebody needs to finally set them in their place before it is too late. They could care less about talks with other countries/nations. They want a war and will do whatever they have to do to get one. Right now Iran and a few other mid east countries have some very wacked out and crazy leadership.
C-ya,
Kevin

evfish84
Jul 19, 2006, 10:36 AM

If an Iranian-based terror organization attacked America proper, then there would be a repeat of 9-11. Americans would experience a short burst of patriotism, the current president would demand swift action, and his ratings would shoot through the roof. Then, the US would attack Iran and perhaps Syria as well, displacing the current government with one that they agree with. The exact same thing happened five years ago - I cannot believe it happening again would meet with any other consequences.

OreoCookie
Jul 19, 2006, 10:43 AM

Well, it's not a question of war, it's a question of what you should do with Iran after the direct military conflict ends. The US' preparation of the occupation of Iraq leaves much to be desired to say the least. Unless the US and the world come to terms on the time afterwards, I believe there will be no all-out war.

Even if Iran's Hezbollah is found to have their hands in an attack, I strongly doubt the US will invade Iran. I think it will rather opt for an Israeli/Clintonian Iraq approach, i. e. bomb specific targets instead of a full-scale invasion.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2006, 10:59 PM

of course america will attack whoever attacks them - but please remember - there are so many people in iran and everywhere else - that are decent people - that do not hate everyone. i wish reason, logic and compassion would prevail against hatred - but if it doesn't then we must use whatever means necessary to kill the killers.

i was told once if someone tries to beat you up you must use such overwhelming force as to not be beat up again and I see the logic behind that. so sad but true.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 11:17 PM

would we the usa have enough troops to handle it?

DRAFT! oh baby!

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Jul 19, 2006, 11:56 PM

Kerrigan wants war...hell yeah!!! Must be bored.

Forum Links
Forum Rules