Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Support Doc on White MacBook Discoloration

Apple Support Doc on White MacBook Discoloration
Leonis
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 11:56 AM

Just in case if you don't know. It's official

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 12:31 PM

Wow, how.... enlightening.....
Talk about short and sweet.
All the page says (for those lazy mouse clickers out there) is:
"If your MacBook is exhibiting discoloration on the top case after some use, please contact AppleCare for service."

That's all... no background info... no, "We are aware of a issue with the..... and due to the...."

So, yes, they are officially accepting it as a supportable issue rather than saying "wash your hands". I'm just surprised that's all they say there.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 24, 2006, 12:58 PM

Apple can be so stupid sometimes.

"Hello, what have we here?

Leonis  (op)
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 01:41 PM

Reason I haven't used my MacBook that much is because of my fear on discoloration (mine doesn't have it yet but worried about Apple will do nothing for it)

Time to use my white MacBook a bit more (of course I will still be keeping my hands clean)
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

masugu
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 02:38 PM

Funny how Apple has suceeded in selling a notebook users are afraid to touch!!!!

Seriously...I am certain they remain wishy washy as it would cost htema MINT to replace all the white book skins. I also imagine the labor per notebook would cost you $200 to have skins swapped.

They must be secretly punding their supplier to re-formulate the white book plastic. So far my Blacbook is fine....save for a mouse that is somewhat mushy on the left
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

davidsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 02:45 PM

has anyone sent their computers back for this? and does the discoloration come back? id hate to be without my laptop for a week and only have hte problem fixed temporarily.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by davidsi
has anyone sent their computers back for this? and does the discoloration come back? id hate to be without my laptop for a week and only have hte problem fixed temporarily.
I sent mine back. Had a bit of a battle to make them replace it - they wanted to replace the top plastic, but theres no way the new plastic would go in as well as the factory fitted stuff... its just the nature of well built things...

So they agreed to replace it. I haven't got it yet... and I go on holiday on Wednesday, on a 12 hours plane journey, so I am praying it gets here Wednesday morning.. but I doubt it will.

I got the invoice for the new one, and the serial states its a week 29 build... which means its the latest build, so fingers crossed it will be OK....
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

azncreazion
Jul 24, 2006, 03:01 PM

Got mine through the apple store. When I got mine back, it was all scratched up and they said it was already was..... Now I learned my lesson, I use a extra keyboard and mouse, so I can keep it in "mint" condition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules