Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Firewire 3.5" HDD Enclosures to avoid

Firewire 3.5" HDD Enclosures to avoid
Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 09:40 AM

I'm looking for a FW400 & USB2.0 3.5" HDD enclosure and want to know which models to avoid. Been looking through OCW and I like the "Mercury Elite AL Pro" enclosure's design.

1. Can handle more than 300GB HDDs
2. Can be set as a bootable drive

Passive cooling?

Dr.Michael
Jul 25, 2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pao|o
I'm looking for a FW400 & USB2.0 3.5" HDD enclosure and want to know which models to avoid. Been looking through OCW and I like the "Mercury Elite AL Pro" enclosure's design.

1. Can handle more than 300GB HDDs
2. Can be set as a bootable drive

Passive cooling?
I use a Sarotech Hardbox. It has an internal power adpater and an integrated fan. Runs since years without problems. The only thing I did was to reduce the fans speed with a resistor because I did not like the noise. Otherwise perfect (but not the cheapest I guess).

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 12:43 PM

They aren't just cases but you should probably be aware that the Seagate externals automatically power down every so often and the setting can't be changed. They kind of irritate me even though they're pretty good looking.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 01:53 PM

im glad my seagate powers down everytime its not being used for a while, one, it saves it from over heating two, i actually like the sound it makes when doing so, 3, i like the know how that if i do need to access my pictures or music that it will just go back to full power and i dont have to do anything

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2006, 02:46 PM

I have a FW800 case from rosewill that has nevergiven me an problems. Matches the powerbook too.

Pao|o  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2006, 09:02 AM

Though I've done my research and it appears that you'd be better off using a OXFW911plus-based (aka Oxford 911 Plus or Oxford 911+) enclosure if you want better speeds, bootability, no problems using it with Macs & the ability to handle more than 137GB or 300GB drives.

I searched on macsales.com and found the "Oxford 911+" or "Oxford 911 Plus" chipsets are found in the following drives

"OWC Mercury Elite"

"OWC Neptune" = Has no USB ports

"OWC Mercury Elite -AL FW400+USB2"

"NewerTech miniStack V2"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 07:12 PM

What is 911 plus? A cutesy name for 912 or 922, or a slight tweak of 911?

Forum Links
Forum Rules