Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > open firmware

open firmware
lichtens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2001, 10:06 PM

My imac freezes loading the finder. Ive tried zapping the pram, disabling extensions on startup....nothing. There is an extension conflict keeping my cd-rom from working, so I cant boot from disk. Ive read that you can open the extension manager prior to boot by holding the space bar, but that does nothing. Is there any way I could delete the offending extension from open firmware? Ill take any suggestions, and Im not opposed to wiping out my harddrive...I have everything I need on disk.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2001, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by lichtens:
<STRONG>My imac freezes loading the finder. Ive tried zapping the pram, disabling extensions on startup....nothing. There is an extension conflict keeping my cd-rom from working, so I cant boot from disk. Ive read that you can open the extension manager prior to boot by holding the space bar, but that does nothing. Is there any way I could delete the offending extension from open firmware? Ill take any suggestions, and Im not opposed to wiping out my harddrive...I have everything I need on disk. </STRONG>
Since booting from the CD-ROM drive has nothing to do with any pre-existing system software installed, I suggest you try booting from the CD-ROM drive again. Remember to hold down the letter 'C' on your keyboard to tell it to boot from the CD. I highly doubt Apple's sending out System CDs with extension conflicts on them.

Also, the Extensions Manager extension ( EM Extension) loads before anything else, so there's not reasons why it's not opening up for you. Are you holding down the space bar early enough? Try turning on your iMac and immediately holding down the space bar until the Extensions Manager shows up. Do not let go until it shows up!

Worst case, you'll probably have to do a clean install of the system software. There's certainly no need to do something as drastic as wiping out your hard drive!

lichtens  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2001, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by lichtens:
<STRONG>My imac freezes loading the finder. Ive tried zapping the pram, disabling extensions on startup....nothing. There is an extension conflict keeping my cd-rom from working, so I cant boot from disk. Ive read that you can open the extension manager prior to boot by holding the space bar, but that does nothing. Is there any way I could delete the offending extension from open firmware? Ill take any suggestions, and Im not opposed to wiping out my harddrive...I have everything I need on disk. </STRONG>
Well, I absolutely cannot boot from disk. The drive is not reading anything. Possibly a hardware issue. And I still cant open the extension manager by holding space on boot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules