Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sound Skips

Sound Skips
Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 1999, 10:34 PM

Since upgrading to MacOS 9.0, my only true problem has been sound skips while playing sound files. Here are the details:

* Problem is definitely MacOS 9.0 related. The problem does not ocurr under MacOS 8.6

* PowerCenter Pro 210, 128MB of RAM, 9.1 GB Barracuda -- definitely fast enough to handle simple audio clips.

* AIFF and SND affected. MP3s and direct from CD audio are not affected.

* Playback in QuickTime (4.03), SoundApp, and SoundEdit 16 all demonstrate the problem.

* Problem occurs when rebooting with extensions off.

* PowerComputing machines based on the Catalyst motherboard (i.e. 7200) have been known to experience sound problems. This is fixed by installing "PCI Timing Update". Installing this file only makes the problem worse!

My conclusion is that it must have something to do with MacOS 9.0. Anyone?

petemel
Dec 11, 1999, 10:10 AM

This is only a guess: you probably require Sound Manager installed. When you turn off extensions, this is disabled.
Try running base OS 9 with extensions manager.

Herr Newton  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 1999, 02:03 AM

Doesn't work. Besides, I shouldn't have to run base extensions set just to play back a simple sound file without problems.

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 1999, 10:59 PM

Were you using virtual memory before OS9? I was using OS8.6 without VM enabled and my sounds are fine. I have a Wall Street PB with 128 megs and needed to enable VM in order for OS9 not to eat up almost 60MB of RAM. But with VM enabled, my sounds can be jumpy.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Herr Newton  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 1999, 07:40 PM

Actually, I'd been using RamDoubler with MacOS 8.x, mainly to avoid some of VM's nastier aspects like sucking down a good portion of my hard disk space. (This is one of the reasons why I am anticipating MacOS X: real virtual memory amongst other *nix nicities.)

Still, I'm getting the sound skips while running with VM off under MacOS 9.0. The problem has got to be with the OS itself or, perhaps, the updates to the Monitors and Sound control panels. When I get the time, I'll pull the old control panel from MacOS 8.6 and see if it runs under OS 9.0. That might help.

trusttom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 1999, 04:11 AM

Apple just posted the Mac OS 9 Audio Updata 1.1, today. You might give that a try.

asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11553

Herr Newton  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 1999, 11:48 PM

Tried it. It's only for USB Macs, but I pulled the files with TomeViewer and did a by-hand install. No dice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules