Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Wireless and wired from one connection? HELP PLZ!

Airport Wireless and wired from one connection? HELP PLZ!
StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 10:47 PM

ok i will keep this as simple as possible.. please please help me..

I have a cable modem hooked to an airport express base station.. my powerbook runs perfectly as of now.

In 2 weeks, i will have a windows PC coming in for gaming use.

I would like to use a "wired" connection for the PC, AND keep the wireless basestation for my laptops and friends..

So how do i do this??

Can I just plug the cable modem into a switch/router thingy and then connect my airport into one jack and the ethernet cable into another( and run the ethernet cable into the PC)?

this is really confusing to type, yet so simple.. can someone please help me?
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by StevenWRX
Can I just plug the cable modem into a switch/router thingy and then connect my airport into one jack and the ethernet cable into another( and run the ethernet cable into the PC)?
That is exactly right. But you will want all of the devices on your network to use the same range of IP addresses. So you'll want the cable modem to assign the IP addresses for everything. This means that you need to use Airport Admin Utility to tell the Express NOT to assign addresses. This is done by unchecking the box titled "Distribute IP Addresses" in the Network pane.

Chris

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 11:22 PM

thank you so much.. so it must be a combo switch/router? or just a plain router?

security/sharing printers or files/ does not matter to me. i just need it to work easily lol.

thank you again.
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 12:14 AM

Actually you just need switch. You do not need or want a router. Now, most routers have switches built-in and you might get a router for less money than a switch. So if you get a router, make sure to leave the WAN port empty and just plug your cables into the LAN ports. That will ensure you don't get router functions--switch only.

Chris

RJGill842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 04:38 AM

drop the AirPort Equipment and buy a LinkSys WRT54G Wireless Router, which has 4 ethernet ports on the back of it. You can have wireless internet and wired all on one device, and its only $69.99 @ Best Buy! -RJGill

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by RJGill842
drop the AirPort Equipment and buy a LinkSys WRT54G Wireless Router, which has 4 ethernet ports on the back of it. You can have wireless internet and wired all on one device, and its only $69.99 @ Best Buy! -RJGill
well i wanted to keep the airport express for the airtunes function. i love being able to stream music into my home theater setup.

i went and bought a linksys router/switch, plugged my airport express in and it worked.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2006, 10:26 AM

Why should he drop a device that he already has for one he'd have to buy? If you need more wired ports, get a cheap wired router and use its 4 wired ports as a switch-this is often less expensive than just buying a switch. Plug one port into the AEBS and the other three are now switched and in the same network and subnet. No problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules