Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Superdrive Scratching Disks

Macbook Superdrive Scratching Disks
irreality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 04:00 PM

Hey,

I am the sorta proud owner of a 2.0Ghz Macbook White. However my discontent stems from a problem with the DVD/CD drive. I bet anyone of you can replicate this problem on your own Macbook (Just make sure that you dont use a good CD/DVD).

Step 1: Put in a DVD or CD into the drive.
Step 2: Wait for the Drive to get up some speed so you can hear the thing humming along.
Step 3: Pick Up Macbook and Tilt left and Right several times.... Until you hear the drive making noises. Kinda Like scratchy noises.
Step 4: Eject The disk
Step 5: Notice all the pretty Lines on your DVD/CD on the readable side.

Now...I must state.... This should be a problem with EVERYONES Macbook. Because I just returned one because of this problem, and got a new one which does the exact same thing. Is there anything I can do as a consumer to make apple aware and possibly fix this issue. Let Me know if you can do the same with your macbook. Or any appropriate steps I can take with apple to have this issue resolved.

I never had this issue with any of my older laptops such as the Ibook g4. I feel that this is a major issue with this drive inside the new macbook as I have RUINED Several DVDs now because of this. ( I didnt notice it right away). Let me know your thoughts and comments on this subject.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2006, 04:11 PM

Well generally, you shouldn't tip your notebook anyway.

I'm sure my iBook would do it if I tried.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 12, 2006, 04:16 PM

My iBook did NOT do this.
My MacBook DOES do this.

I the idea of thin has been taken too far. Not only do we have this issue, we also don't get dual-layer drives either.

irreality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 04:36 PM

See I told you... and its not just like severe tilts.... its any tilt if your MB is on your lap and spinnin a disk at High Speed. Any Comments as what to do about it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2006, 04:39 PM

Ok, i'm sorry.

irreality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 05:33 PM

Just thought I would add a lil note.... The second MB that i recieved doesnt get nearly as spicy hot as the old one.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 05:41 PM

Ya both my MacBooks do this.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 09:09 PM

What if I want to watch a movie while on a car trip? That's partially why I got a laptop so it could do stuff like this.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 10:04 PM

Hmm.. The Sudden Motion Sensor is trying to park the DVD drive heads?

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
What if I want to watch a movie while on a car trip? That's partially why I got a laptop so it could do stuff like this.
It seems more to do with flexing the case.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

craigb6
Jun 13, 2006, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=irreality]Hey,
Step 2: Wait for the Drive to get up some speed so you can hear the thing humming along.
Step 3: Pick Up Macbook and Tilt left and Right several times.... Until you hear the drive making noises. Kinda Like scratchy noises.
QUOTE]

This is similar to what people who have Xbox 360s.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/X...-Scratched.htm

It seems to be something to do with the fact that the cd/dvd is spinning, and when tilting the drive the disc hits something inside and scratches.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2006, 09:57 AM

Macbook != maracas
even though they both start with M!
weird

irreality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 10:46 AM

I could understand it with something like the 360. The 360 is supposed to remain stationary, considering it is not a portable Item. So it would be easy to say DONT MOVE YOUR 360. But come on, this is a laptop. And should not be doing things like this.

I understand that something is hitting it. Duuuh. Those scratches arent coming from nowhere. I also think the idea of thin may have been taken too far, however I also feel that this problem could be easily fixed by simply adding some thin fabric to the parts that are scratching.

This Design flaw is going to make alot of people very unhappy with their purchases, and I feel that apple should do something to resolve this issue, sooner rather than later. Is there anything more that I can do other than calling up apple and voicing my discontent, to initiate changes on this item.

kman43
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 11:13 AM

Hi there--With the release of the MacBook, I felt that Apple had finally created a portable that would get me to "switch." I've visited the Apple Store several times to check them out and have been doing some research here and at other forums to see if there are any initial issues with the MB.

I was originally planning on getting the entry WhiteBook. With the discoloration issue noted in another thread and scratch-prone "iPod" finish on the outside, I was thinking the BlackBook would be the better choice. However, the CD/DVD scratching issue might be the kiss of death for me. With this and the noise issues that some have been reporting, I would find it very hard to justify spending $1500--almost twice as much as a fairly decent Windows laptop. I would appreciate hearing other thoughts.

-Kavik

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kavik
Hi there--With the release of the MacBook, I felt that Apple had finally created a portable that would get me to "switch." I've visited the Apple Store several times to check them out and have been doing some research here and at other forums to see if there are any initial issues with the MB.

I was originally planning on getting the entry WhiteBook. With the discoloration issue noted in another thread and scratch-prone "iPod" finish on the outside, I was thinking the BlackBook would be the better choice. However, the CD/DVD scratching issue might be the kiss of death for me. With this and the noise issues that some have been reporting, I would find it very hard to justify spending $1500--almost twice as much as a fairly decent Windows laptop. I would appreciate hearing other thoughts.

-Kavik

The noise reports and discoloration are every minimal. I mean how many white MacBooks do you think they have sold by now? 30,000? and we have one report of yellowing.

Can you show us a link to a PC with the same specs for the same cost?
Keep in mind that if you get a MacBook you are getting 2 PC's in one.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Can you show us a link to a PC with the same specs for the same cost?
I think he's talking about the price after using one of those Dell 35% off coupons that they run every other week.

Kavik -- I've had zero problems with my 2-week old white 1.83 MB. No scratches (and I don't go out of my way to baby it), no discoloration, and no odd noises. My only wish was that the bottom-left didn't get as hot as it does, but for $999 (after a $100 Amazon electronic rebate), I'm more than satisifed.

irreality  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 02:04 PM

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM WITH YOUR MACBOOK. PLEASE CALL APPLECARE AND REPORT YOUR ISSUE. APPLE NEEDS MORE CASE REPORTS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

I have just gotten off the phone with applecare and reported my issue. They suggested bringing it to a service center to have it fixed. However, after recieving 2 MB's with the same problem I feel that this Is a problem with all macbooks.

My Case number is: 64314964

If you would like to refer to this case number to refer to the issue. Please do so.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get the word out as to get everyone experiencing this problem to report it to apple.

Thanks

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 10:14 AM

I'll try it on mine later. I just gotta find a junk disc to use.

Have you tried playing the scratched disc? Does it skip or still completely functional?

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 10:40 AM

Take it to the Genius Bar if you have one nearby. This is not normal behavior of the drive and it can be fixed.

You might also have Apple replace all the discs that were damaged while they are at it.

It is NOT due to tilting the laptop. I have seen it happen with MacBooks that are left alone on a flat surface.

Good luck.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mrliammm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:30 AM

I havent yet experienced any scratching issues yet, although my player won't play any slightly marked cds, even ones that will play in a notoriously bad hifi i have at home, my model is a refurbished version, is this something anyone else has experienced or is it only my machine?

beaster725
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrliammm
I havent yet experienced any scratching issues yet, although my player won't play any slightly marked cds, even ones that will play in a notoriously bad hifi i have at home, my model is a refurbished version, is this something anyone else has experienced or is it only my machine?
My MB has played every DVD I've tried. Even some with scratches.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:22 PM

That sounds kind of normal to me... try a personal CD player and tilt it back and forth. The same thing will happen. I was always under the impression that when a CD is spinning in a device you keep the device as steady as possible... but that could just be me
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

SLiMeX
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Arju
That sounds kind of normal to me... try a personal CD player and tilt it back and forth. The same thing will happen. I was always under the impression that when a CD is spinning in a device you keep the device as steady as possible... but that could just be me
You took the words right out of my mouth...er..typing hands...
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

collinong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 12:32 AM

I have a macbook and noticed this scratching problem when i was installing apps on the new machine...unfortunately, it was with my Adobe Creative Suite Premium disc. yes, worth $800. it still reads but it has some trouble.

I previously had a iBook G3, iBook G4, PowerBook G4 12" and none of them ever did this, In fact, I was always amazed that you could move them around when reading a disc with not ill effects.

celica5thgengt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 06:57 PM

I have had my new black macbook scratch 4 game cd's now as well and a DVD too. this is very upsetting also my cd's will sometimes take 15+ attempts to eject. GRRRR! I have applecare and am currently waiting 15 plus minutes on hold with them! I know this is a little off the current subject but is anyone else experienced the network adapter having issues as well (I have to prop up the ethernet cable to get it to read or it doesnt stay connected just wondering I will reference to this as well and post back when I hear -- thanks for everyone speaking up maybe if more people call we can get something done!

celica5thgengt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 07:16 PM

Called apple care after waiting about 20min I got to speak to someone regarding the disc scratching/not ejecting error and network port problem he readily gave me a case# and a dispatch number and said they would send a box and have it back to me in 4 days time. I will keep you posted main note is anyone with this problem please contact apple to get it resolved plus it seems pretty hassle free at the moment.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 07:33 PM

I have a problem with the DVD/CD drive in my MacBook too. I bet anyone of you can replicate this problem on your own Macbook (Just make sure that you dont use a good CD/DVD).

Step 3: Drive over your MacBook with a car.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by irreality
Hey,

I am the sorta proud owner of a 2.0Ghz Macbook White. However my discontent stems from a problem with the DVD/CD drive. I bet anyone of you can replicate this problem on your own Macbook (Just make sure that you dont use a good CD/DVD).

Now...I must state.... This should be a problem with EVERYONES Macbook. Because I just returned one because of this problem, and got a new one which does the exact same thing. Is there anything I can do as a consumer to make apple aware and possibly fix this issue. Let Me know if you can do the same with your macbook. Or any appropriate steps I can take with apple to have this issue resolved.

I never had this issue with any of my older laptops such as the Ibook g4. I feel that this is a major issue with this drive inside the new macbook as I have RUINED Several DVDs now because of this. ( I didnt notice it right away). Let me know your thoughts and comments on this subject.
I've watched several movies with the laptop in my lap and none of them have been scratched. And yes I have moved around, and the computer has been tilted. Obviously if you're gonna pick it up and tilt it again and again, the disc is gonna touch against parts in the drive. It's spinning inside, and if you tilt it, it's gonna become unstable. Watching a movie in a car is not gonna cause this.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 03:33 AM

My MB and my MBP both do it (they both have the Matshita UJ-857 drive). You get nice concentric scratches. I haven't managed to damage a disk so bad that it wouldn't work anymore though.

Lesson to learn: Don't tilt your Book when there's a disk inserted. And yes, it sucks.

Natespence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 10:03 AM

NO NO NO NO NO!

I love my MacBook, however, i did not spend $1700 to have a machine that i have to worry about every cd I put in it is going to get scratched! Its like playing russian roulette with expensive cd's (Adobe Creative Suite) I installed Creative suite on my laptop this morning, it was fine, didnt scratch! I then, put my final cut cd in and now it destroyed it. When I first got it i put Boot Camp on it and it destroyed my Win XP Pro CD. So my new $1700 computer has destroyed almost its value in CD's. This is inacceptable, I urge everyone that is having this issue to call apple care and complain. I am doing it after work.

Let me add---- I commute 2 hours on a train to go to work, I do not tilt or move my computer eratically where it should scratch a CD. The train is pretty steady but when you hit a switch it causes your lap to jiggle a lil bit. A jiggle should not destroy a cd. I have had 4 other laptops (PC's) and this is my first MAC, like I said, its great, BUT DONT SCRATCH MY CD'S!

Everyone who is trying to stick up for apple -- It is 2006 not 1996, cd technology has come very far and tilting, moving, bumping and especially playing a cd on a stationary surface while the cd is moving in a laptop should not yield these results. NO EXCUSES, I work too hard for my money!
( Last edited by Natespence; Sep 22, 2006 at 10:09 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 10:51 AM

Do MBPs exhibit this behavior?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Natespence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac

Yes any MacBook with the superdrive :-(

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:17 PM

Actually pretty much everyone I know with a mac laptop with a slot loading drive has this problem.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Natespence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Actually pretty much everyone I know with a mac laptop with a slot loading drive has this problem.
LOL, I know apple does not make the maSHITa drives, but its not really reassuring when I have to go to my PC and copy a CD to my jump drive. This is a HUGE problem, its a shame, I love this computer so much, but I cant have a disk destroyer. I mean its like I have to copy the cd's and use the copies in the MacBook

HUGE DIASPPOINTMENT!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
That's what I was thinking - it sounds like a slot load drive issue. The minimal gain in elegance doesn't sound like a good tradeoff.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Natespence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 01:52 PM

That's what I was thinking - it sounds like a slot load drive issue. The minimal gain in elegance doesn't sound like a good tradeoff.
No def. not!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 04:06 AM

I answered your question already weeks ago. You just have to read the thread.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 09:15 PM

I cannot believe someone is complaining about their MacBook scratching disks when you shake it. Every Mac that I have owned does this... it's not Apple dadgum fault, it's your own if you shake it around with a disk in.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 01:23 PM

Just thought id stick up for my macbook and say that its never scrached any discs ive put in it (touch wood). Even after an agressive "shake".

Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:21 PM

I had this same exact problem. I would get the scratches from just moving the laptop from my lap to the table with very minimal movement. My wifes iBook wouldn't scratch disks when I moved it from my lap to the coffee table.

I took it to and Apple store and had them replicate the problem. They repaired it and now it doesn't scratch discs. They also changed the plastic while they were at it. Although the keyboard seems to buldge alittle where the superdrive is, I'm guessing they added a thicker one or something.

pilotopirx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 04:48 PM

I bought a macbook recently. It wouldn't read the cd's, so I took it to the apple store, where they solved the problem. Now, I understand that nobody should be "adviced not to use the cdrom while you are moving", but I would not buy a expensive computer just to watch dvd's in my commute, or try to install final cut pro while driving in the highways. It may be a design flaw, but if it is what it takes to have such a light, laptop, I take the toll.

rhenretta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 09:35 PM

I just bought a MB today, first Apple I have ever bought. My WoW DVD was destroyed moving my laptop from the table to the couch. Not any serious moving, and the laptop was kept fairly flat in the move of 10 feet.

I don't know if I want to take it back and get another (as it appears this is a problem with all of them), call apple support, or go back to PC.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2007, 12:57 PM

I love Apple & their kit but I really can't comprehend people saying a defective drive is a price they are willing to pay.

Apple isn't going to thank any of you for "standing up for them". That's not how things work. If enough people complain, Apple will provide a solution & make a better product. The reason we all love Apple is precisely becuase they make better products - so why settle for less!?

Bug / defect reporting helps companies - it doesn't hinder them or create unnecessary work. That's why we have beta testing etc. So fan boys please, you loyalty is misplaced - if you want Appple to remain on top they need to be aware of any & all issues, so if your discs get sctratched in any way, it's not acceptable, so contact Apple as the OP has said.

[ / End rant]

Sorry, I'm not trying to flamebait, but really, come on guys...
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

UltraPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 01:48 AM

Hey there all.

I found this forum hoping for a fix to the problem and, coincidentally, found a possible solution myself as I read the posts!

I had a cheap-o stack of CD-R's I wanted to use to burn some music from iTunes on my 2GHz Core2Duo White MacBook. I came here once I heard my laptop start making sweet sweet designs on the surfaces of the read side of these CD-R's. After the 3 disk in a row started to experience this same problem, I decided to look the discs over instead of assuming it was the MacBook, since it seemed to be rather selective when choosing it's new artistically-deprived prey.

Note: The laptop was on a flat surface when this occurred and remained undisturbed during it.

Sure enough, the CD-R's had the SLIGHTEST curvature downward. Example: an open-parenthese-> NOT READ SIDE ( READ SIDE ( = Disk.

Since these were cheap CD-R's, I decided to bend them a little, flexing them with the non-read part on the "inside" of the bend, of course. After I scrutinized the disc and rebended until it seemed straight, I popped it back into the MacBook. I was slightly amazed to no longer hear any scratching. The laptop had done this to a disc I still had nearby, I gave it the same procedure, and the disc it used to scratch in now read!

However... Because the CD's are plastic and durable means that unless you bend them or hold them bent or straighten them for long periods of time, they will just revert to the scratch-inducing curvature. This happened with the "fixed" CD-R. 60-80 seconds of reading and then sss-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st.

I hope this helps some of you out! In most cases the discs can be copied to a clean surfaced disc or still be read without problem!!! It is an unfortunate problem, however, because no one wants to have to scrutinize any unfamiliar disc before they put it into their laptop =/.

gutterflowerjc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 12:47 AM

All my laptops have always done this. Made the noise, that is, but i don't think that they have ever scratched it. But my Powerbook, ibook, and dells always did that. But after that, they would spin down, and then begin to pick up speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules