Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > changing startup partition in OS 9.0.4

changing startup partition in OS 9.0.4
Dick Rucker
Sep 22, 2000, 11:03 AM

Holding down the Option key when starting up my G4 running under OS 9.0.4 brings up a row of icons indicating those partitions that contain System Folders. Choosing one and then clicking on the right arrow is supposed cause my Mac to boot up from the selected System Folder. Instead, the response is to dump me into a command line in Open Firmware. I'm invited to then type in "Mac-boot" and enter that. When I do, the response is "DEFAULT CATCH! code = 3000..."

So why isn't it doing what it is supposed to do?

Dick

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2000, 12:52 PM

have you tried the more conventional method of selecting the startup volume in the Startup Disk control panel?

Dick Rucker
Sep 23, 2000, 05:21 PM

I have four different boot partitions that I can boot from, three on the 20G drive that came with the G4, and one on a Seagate Barracuda SCSI drive. Using the Startup Control Panel works for all of them.,

However, the situation I wish to deal with is when my regularly used boot partition goes south and its Startup control panel no longer works. Then I just want to press the Restart button , hold the Option key down to select one of the other boot volumes, and go on to repair the broken one.

Dick

Cipher13
Sep 23, 2000, 08:48 PM

There is stuff floating around about bootable partitions having to reside within the first 8 gigs of a drive or whatever...
Do your bootable volumes abide by that?

Cipher13

Dick Rucker
Sep 23, 2000, 10:21 PM

Yes. At least they all boot just fine using the Startup CP to switch between them.

Dick

Forum Links
Forum Rules