Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to make Apple Menu Seperator?

How to make Apple Menu Seperator?
NopC
Sep 22, 2000, 02:48 PM

i have seen others' apple menu with seperators which made their items very organized.
after i checked their apple menu folder, i found they had folders with "------" kinda name....
but when i did it myself, they just not working....
how to make these folders behave like seperators?

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2000, 04:01 PM

I use Action Menus (http://www.poweronsoftware.com/site2/html/products/am.html), which allows you to organize your menus most anyway you want to.

I think BeHierarchic (http://www.octave.net/BeHierarchic/US/Download.html) will also allow you do do this.

MusicMan
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2000, 04:57 PM

I use FinderPop's Apple Menu feature. It's one of the slickest control panels I've seen in a while. It allows you to organize your apple menu and contextual menus. And best of all, it's free!
www.finderpop.com
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

Ed Gallaher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2000, 09:35 PM

You can do this nicely with no additional software.

1. In your Apple Menu Items folder, create a new empty folder with the name "-------".
2. Now you want to change the folder icon so it disappears. You do this by pasting a block of solid color, the same color as the background in your pull-down Apple Menu. Select the folder and then Get Info. Use any screen capture (e.g. Snapz Pro) to save a block of solid color to the clipboard. Then select the icon in the Get Info box and paste the new "icon" in its place. Voila! You now see only " - -------".

3. You can adjust its position in the Apple menu by adding blank spaces at the beginning. You will need to add spaces to the aliases of other items as well, thus separating the items into utilities, applications, whatever.

Enjoy.

zamboni
Sep 27, 2000, 10:17 PM

NopC-

What Ed Gallaher said is correct, however, when you add a space in front of an alias name or in front of a separator, the result is that all of the names appear to be tabbed over, and the whole Apple Menu starts to get out of whack with nothing properly aligned.

To prevent this, open up SimpleText (Surely you must have at least 10 copies of it on your Mac!), hit "Return" then select all and copy.

Next, paste in what you have just copied (blank space) in front of the separator or file and you will get the same result as you would if you had entered blank spaces, only everything will remain aligned and much nicer looking.

Be aware that when you paste the white space that you've copied from SimpleText, it will look like the file's name has disappeared, but not to worry, it's still there, which you'll see when you click off of the file.

One final note, you can paste more than one blank space in front of an item and actually control, to some extent at least, where the separators and/or items will end up.

Experiment with it and have fun!

Of course you could always just get Action Menus or one of the other shareware programs mentioned to make this whole process a bit easier, but that would take all the fun out of it!

[This message has been edited by zamboni (edited 09-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by zamboni (edited 09-27-2000).]

Cipher13
Sep 27, 2000, 11:16 PM

Just use BeHierarchic (link above). It rocks. Only 3rd party System add on I use (apart from Net Barrier).

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules