Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9: Finder out of memory?

MacOS 9: Finder out of memory?
jobim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2000, 06:05 PM

I keep getting this annoying problem on MacOS 9.0.4 on both my 400 MHz G3 and new Dual 500 MHz G4.

It seems the Finder is trying to be smart about the memory it allocates, and doesn't grow its heap zone much beyond what it can store. So I see that it typically has only about 100 KB free at any one time.

Sounds great. The only problem is the Finder keeps telling me it is "Running low on memory", closes all my Finder windows and then tells me it is out of memory, giving me an alert with the buttons "Try Again" and "Restart". The truly funny thing is my G3 has 256 MB of RAM and my G4 has 512 MB of RAM. When the Finder complains, there is more than enough free memory available.

Has anyone encountered this before? It is very annoying because it happens all the time. Any and all advice on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2000, 06:12 PM

ok, first... have you run any HD utils to check on things? Norton Disk Doctor, DiskWarrior, TechToolPro?

rebuilt your desktop lately? use TechTool 1.2.1 freeware

first things first, answer/do the above and we can proceed... i have other procedures to recommend

jobim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2000, 06:49 PM

The drive is fine and I've recently rebuilt the Desktop.

If you want to see ASP report of my box, you can find it here:
http://www.twofisted.com/report.txt

Thanks for the help.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2000, 07:19 PM

ok then, next is the old 'delete Finder prefs' routine... and then restart and reset the Finder prefs

there is an AppleScript app in the public folder of the iDisk of a member of the forum (slboett) that was cooked up by slboett and Victor Yee to delete a number of prefs files at one fell swoop... and if trashing the Finder prefs file was to no avail, then i'd use this AppleScript app available from the iDisk named 'thebeatles' and delete a bunch of prefs files...

and if that doesn't work then post again

Forum Links
Forum Rules