Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Unistalling Aplications

Unistalling Aplications
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2000, 11:00 PM

Hello everybody, I need to know, wich is the best way to unsistall aplications on Mac OS 9.0.4
Thanx
Think Diferente!

Cipher13
Sep 27, 2000, 11:11 PM

Run the installer again. See if you can, from the pop-up menu, select 'uninstall', or hold down option, and see if the 'install' button turns to 'uninstall'.
If not, find the install log for the app (if it has one), and trace down all components for it.
Usually its as easy as deleting the applications folder, but it depends on whether it installed extensions and control panels and aliases all over the place and so on...

Cipher13

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2000, 11:17 PM

Some applications have their own Uninstall on the Install CD.

However, these do not always uninstall everything!

For uninstalls, I look up everything under the app name with Sherlock and trash all the items I find - then I search again with Sherlock to see of it reads "No items found". Even then, you should go thru your control panels, extensions and preferences to pick up on any parts of the program that do not have the name of the app in their title - additionally, look for any aliases that may still be present in Apple Menu, Startup Items etc.

WDL

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2000, 11:38 AM

"Spring Cleaning" from Aladdin has this feature, called MacUninstaller. I'd read the book that comes with it carefully before using it. I used "PerfsCleaner" yesterday, and I thought somebody had swapped Mac's with me when I restarted. This part of the program seemed to clean off quite a few preference files I was still using. And the iMac still gets arthritis sometimes. I have never used MacUninstaller, but it's worth a try. Spring Cleaning is pretty inexpensive.

Val

Gregg
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2000, 01:45 PM

There's another utility out there (still, I think) that does much the same job as Spring Cleaning. It's called Yanks Pro. You might want to do a cost/performance comparison to decide which one is best for you.

Good Luck
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

elzinat
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2000, 07:05 AM

another technique is to check the creation date of the installed program (assuming you ran an installer- this does not work if files were copied/unstuffed, as then they do not get new creation dates) and then run a search for all files created within say 1 hour of that time. this will turn up all installed files.

rodrigo_la
Oct 5, 2000, 04:28 PM

As far as throwing away control panels and extensions, go to extensions manager and under the View menu view as packages. 90% of installs will tell you all the assosiated pieces of an App. It's easier to track them down this way.

Of course, the best thing about the Mac is that if I don't want to use an App anymore, I can just throw away the folder without damaging anything. Try doing that on Windows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules