Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What the world needs now is Hypercard!

What the world needs now is Hypercard!
rodrigo_la
Feb 20, 2002, 06:05 PM

Seriously, I fondly remember the days when the Mac OS was so user friendly that it even included an application so deceptionally simple that anyone could create multimedia interactivety quite literally in seconds. Sure, RealBasic is great and so is Flash. But these are expensive software packages and slightly out of reach of beginners. What Mac users need is an app so ingrained to the OS that it becomes simply an open door into a closer relationship with the computer. OK, thats it.

velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 07:58 PM

Word! I remember back in the day doing simple black and white snimations with Hypercard on a Mac 512e. eventually going on to doing programming in Hypercard for a college professor and creating tons of multimedia stacks along the way. All this, for free with every Mac (if I remember correctly) and incredibly easy to use. Y'know, it's funny, several months ago I took a MS Visual Basic course and the instructor was going on an on about how MS has finally made VB truly user-friendly and powerful blah blah blah. All I could think was "Man, this is Hypercard with Basic thrown in only much uglier. Oh yeah, and 15 years later. "
I wanna see movies of my dreams.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2002, 08:27 PM

Hear here!

HyperCard got me into making software... and even though I really haven't released a whole lot, it's a hobby that has let me learn a lot about computer science and programming. I moved from HyperCard to MetaCard a couple years ago, and I really like it - I only wish drawing was faster.

To those who say Quartz really doesn't slow things down so much, I'd like them to try MetaCard on OS 9 and compare it to OS X. OS 9's graphics fly in comparison - though the speed of script execution is still the same.

MacAgent
Senior User
Feb 20, 2002, 08:31 PM

Use AppleScript Studio.

rodrigo_la  (op)
Feb 20, 2002, 09:28 PM

Well, Applescript is a great set of tools to make your OS speed throught tasks, so still more in the realm of power users.

Applescript is for when you want or need something useful. You didnt make useful things with Hypercard! You made fun things! You made adventure games and recipie indexes and desktops that functioned just like the fnder. Did you need to re-create the finder? No! It was just fun to sit at your computer and needle with a project. To push yourself and be amazed that you actually made a button change icons by what you typed in a text field.

Hypercard was transparent. You opened it up, you had a card. You drew something on it and created another card. You created a button that linked them both and you had an interactive piece. No compiling. No debugging. It just ran. Later you could learn a simple lenguage and 'code'. It started you off easy and just let you create. And it's what eased me into playing with my computer. Slowly without me knowing it. Thats what the Mac was all about.

Cipher13
Feb 21, 2002, 04:46 AM

HyperCard friggin' rules.

So powerful, and yet so capable of simple things at the same time...

Forum Links
Forum Rules