Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > After Effects 7 on a Mac Pro?

After Effects 7 on a Mac Pro?
Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 11:10 AM

Alright... I need a powerful machine soon as I am quiting my job and going freelance as a broadcast and graphic designer. I use After effects the most, then Photoshop and Illustrator, then FCP and then everything else. I know AE is not Universal yet but I'm wondering how it will behave on such a beast. I was thinking of getting a Quad 2.66 with at least 2 GB of ram, a second 500Gb HD... I'm still not decided on what GPU to get.

So, anyone tried AE on a Intel Mac?

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 11:44 AM

I am in the EXACT (lol) same boat and was wondering the same thing. Since adobe will probably wait a while before updating ae to be universal (like they always do, any way they can get more $ out of us), I was wondering if I should order the quad G5 instead.

I would really love to know how ae performs through rosetta especially since I would love to be able to get rid of my pc (I need 3ds max)

Benchmarks anyone? Soon maybe?

k2director
Senior User
Aug 8, 2006, 09:29 PM

Go to www.baraefeats.com and check out their rosetta benchmarks using a AE and Photoshop on a 2.0 Ghz MacBook Pro. You might be able to judge what kind of performance you might expect from a Mac Pro, versus a G5 Quad. Although I hear that the Xeon's 4 meg cache helps considerably with Rosetta apps, so that might be something else to factor in...

Jerome  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 11:29 AM

Looks like it will still outperform my old Dual-1GHz G4 tower and as a bonus, I'll get an extra power bump once the universal versions are released... Let the ordering begin!

Forum Links
Forum Rules