Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Unable Firewire Partition

Unable Firewire Partition
ligux
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2002, 02:21 PM

Hi , I am trying
to make a partition in my Archos Firewire Hd , but my system doesn�t seem to recognize it.
Well it recognize it but not when I get to the partitions part , where it recognize the DVD drive and the IDE hd.
Any clue?
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2002, 07:10 PM

In your Extensions folder, what version are your FireWire Enabler and FireWire Support extensions? I believe that they should be at least 2.7. What version of MacOS are you running? I believe that it should be at least 9.1. Finally, is your firmware up to date for your system? (Caution, some firmware updates can cause your system to not recognize certain RAM sticks!) Hope this helps.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 08:30 AM

My maxtor firewire drive isn't recognized by apple's drive set-up utilities. I had to partition it using the formating software that came on the CD with my drive. did your drive come with any third party formatting software?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 01:29 PM

Sorry for the delay.
FW enabler and support stand for version 2.2 and I am working with OS 9.2.
By the other hand my External FW hd unit didn�t came with any software to work with .
I hope this may help.
-iPod 10 Gb

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 04:22 PM

Ligux,
This may not help, but I'll lay it on you anyway.
I recently got an external FW HD and could not initialize or partition it when booted from OS 9.2...it mounted okay but I couldn't do anything to it with Drive Setup.

However, when I booted from an OSX partition I was able to use Disk Utility to initialize and partition the FW HD...everything has been okay since then.

Maybe you have this option also,

Matt

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 08:54 PM

My OS 9.2.2 installation has version 2.8.5 of the FireWire extensions! Sounds like something overwrote your FireWire extensions with older versions, and I suspect that's your problem. I haven't fired up the OS 9 installer in a while - is it possible to get it to install just the FireWire support? I'd hate to recommend doing a complete reinstall, but you need to get the current extensions (or at least version 2.7) from somewhere... Apple's FireWire web page says that the version 2.7 extensions have "a new built-in disk driver that supports many common disk drives and storage products on FireWire, even when the vendor's driver software has not been installed."

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 01:17 PM

I will try both , I will try to work with it through OSX , and I will also try to find the latest extension file for Firewire, and yes I have found the guilty for deleting my 9.2 Firewire extension. It was done installing Final Cut.
TX
-iPod 10 Gb

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 03:39 PM

Well I have done it.
I have got two partitions on my FW HD, and it has worked using the OSX method, but now there is no way I can install OS 9.2 in it.
Any one has a clue why?
-iPod 10 Gb

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 09:00 PM

Does the FireWire drive mount when you're booted from your old 9.2 disk? Have you been able to find and install the latest FireWire drivers on your 9.2 disk?

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by ligux:
<STRONG>Well I have done it.
I have got two partitions on my FW HD, and it has worked using the OSX method, but now there is no way I can install OS 9.2 in it.
Any one has a clue why?</STRONG>
ligux,
You're right...I can't install OS9 from an install CD to a FW partition either. But, OSX can be installed from an install CD with no problem.

However, you can COPY OS9 System Folders and applications from another HD and the FW HD partition will be bootable...something on the OS9 Install CD keeps it from installing to the FW HD. Since I use th FW HD just for backup, I just use Disk Copy 6.4 and copy my internal HD OS9 Classic partition and OSX partition to separate FW HD partitions...both FW partitions are then bootable.

Actually, I think you can select what you want from an OS9 volume and drag and drop it to a FW partition and it will work. (Just make sure any aliases then point to where you want them to.)

Hope this helps,
Matt

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 12:01 PM

TX
I have tried to copy the folders with the OS9.2 into a Firewire partition, but as they can be read in the FW disk, the system don�t let them be bootable.
I have tried with OSX, and it works, BUUTT, my Norton utilities application doesn�t run with OSX neither with the Classic. And for me this is very important because all this is to defragment the ATA Hard drive.
So still don�t know how I am going to work it out, anyway tx for your help.
-iPod 10 Gb

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 12:03 PM

By the way,
Ihave found the latest extensions for Firewire.
-iPod 10 Gb

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 01:27 PM

So, do the current extensions help?

When I put a new hard drive in my Cube, I moved the old one into an external FireWire enclosure, and it works just like it did when it was on the internal ATA bus. I have 4 (can you believe that?) bootable partitions on that disk (9.0.4, 9.1, 10.0.4, 10.1.2), and I can boot off of all of them just fine. However, these partitions were all installed and working when the drive was on the internal bus - I haven't tried to install any new system software on the disk since it's been in the FireWire enclosure... Maybe I'll nuke one of the partitions on my old hard drive, and see if I can install 9.x onto it...

I don't believe you mentioned what level your firmware was at. Is it up-to-date for your system?

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 09:42 PM

ligux,
One more suggestion for you...
I found on my Mac(G4/466), I could not use either of my install CD's (9.1 or 9.2.1) to install to a Firewire HD Partition.

My Mac came with an OS 9.1 CD Software installer and also a Software Restore CD. Even though the software installer would not work, I found I could install all the original software to a FW partition using the Software Restore CD...this is OS 9.1 system...then, I installed DiskWarrior 2.1 (includes PlusOptimizer) and Norton Utilities 6.0 from their CD's, plus TechTool Lite 3.0.2.

Then I tested them all out on both OS 9.2.2 and OSX.1.3 partitions on my internal HD and all worked okay...just what you wanted.

Most Macs used to come with two CD's...How about yours?

If this doesn't work, email me and I will send you something that should work.

Matt

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2002, 06:08 PM

My G4 (867) came with 6 CD�s:
-Apple Hardware test
-Software Install 10.0.4
-Set of 4 Cd�s for restore 9.2/X.0.4
About the firmware, shouldn�t I have one of the latest versions (though I still do not know what is it for?) just in case this would be the problem.
-iPod 10 Gb

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by ligux:
<STRONG>My G4 (867) came with 6 CD�s:
-Apple Hardware test
-Software Install 10.0.4
-Set of 4 Cd�s for restore 9.2/X.0.4

About the firmware, shouldn�t I have one of the latest versions (though I still do not know what is it for?) just in case this would be the problem.</STRONG>
Select the OS 9.2 Software Restore CD that has the System Folder, mount the CD and launch the OS9.2 Installer. I think your G4 is similar to mine...and you may be able install to the FW HD then. I think the installer will let you know if you need to update the Firmware...you can get it at the Apple Software site and installation instructions come with it.

Never give up...there's always a way with a Mac.

Matt

ligux  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2002, 10:32 AM

Finally it has worked , doing it the easy way (it hadn�t the first time)
I copied the main System folders to one of the partitions, and NOW it works, making bootable one of tthe partitions of my FW Hd.
Though this way doesn�t convince me very much, because it has things that I may not need, I am going to try your way.
Thanks to all of you for your cooperation.
-iPod 10 Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules