Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > fastest way to transfer gigabytes

fastest way to transfer gigabytes
golden_zap
Aug 5, 2006, 12:58 PM

hello, I just bought a mbp and would like to transfer a folder of mine when it comes.

the folder is about 6 GB's in size so what would be the fastest way to go about doing this?

I currently own a Sony desktop that has firewire (it is labeled S400) and I noticed that the mpb has this as well. so if i connected the 2 computers using these 2, will the mpb show up as an external hard drive?

or the other option would be uploading to my ipod and transferring it, but i hope there is a faster way.

thanks in advance

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2006, 01:25 PM

Install something like MacDrive (the demo will work) on the Sony, plug the MBP into the Sony with a Firewire cable, boot the MBP while holding down T, and copy your files over.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 5, 2006, 01:27 PM

ok. so a firewire cable is needed...? will I be able to get that at a local apple store?

thanks

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2006, 02:09 PM

You are insane... Transfer the data over ethernet, 6GBs will take just few minutes.
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 02:12 PM

Any major electronics store will have one - the Apple store tends to be a tad bit *too expensive* for cables such as these. Make sure that you aren't stuck with a 4-pin firewire port (smaller) on one and a 6-pin on the MacBook.

I really don't think shelling out $20 for a cable is worth the transfer of a 6GB folder - if you have an iPod with firewire capability you could use that, or if your Sony has a built-in ethernet port just buy a $6 crossover cable and use that. Cheaper and 6GB isn't all that too big so it should take under 5-6 minutes.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 5, 2006, 02:12 PM

sorry, but im a really big beginner.

does transferring over ethernet mean using the ethernet port like for the internet?

i dont see how it will work...

will the mbp be detected somehow

thanks

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 02:15 PM

Yes - using a CROSSOVER cable, not a regular ethernet cable (although cosmetically they appear identical), creates a small closed mini-network between your two computers. You might need to fiddle with the settings in your "sharing" system pref to enable Windows sharing, but otherwise it works the same as in Windows.

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mad cow disease
Yes - using a CROSSOVER cable, not a regular ethernet cable (although cosmetically they appear identical), creates a small closed mini-network between your two computers. You might need to fiddle with the settings in your "sharing" system pref to enable Windows sharing, but otherwise it works the same as in Windows.
Not even a crossover cable is needed; a regular one will work fine. The Mac will autosense the connection and configure itself appropriately.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2006, 02:27 PM

He doesn't even need a crossover cable; any ethernet cable will do. Auto MDI-X has been standard on most network cards for years.

Reading the original post again, I agree with the other repliers. 6GB is peanuts; pop it on the iPod.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 5, 2006, 08:37 PM

sorry, I forgot to mention that my sony only has usb 1.0

Thraxes
Aug 7, 2006, 04:16 PM

Use an ethernet connection. By far the most sensible thing to do for just 6GB. Even if it were much much more, a Gigabit PCI card for the sony would take care of that very cheaply.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 04:23 PM

hi golden_zap, read this web link, i think it may help you.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/network.html

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 04:36 PM

All Macs from the last 5 years auto-crossover. A special cable is not necessary.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 8, 2006, 06:16 PM

hmm, I'm having a problem. when I connect my cable (which is not a crossover cable btw) to my windows machine, a light will not show up that it's on and windows is unable to detect my cable. it says that the media is disconnected.

does this mean i need a crossover cable

ibook_steve
Aug 8, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by golden_zap
hmm, I'm having a problem. when I connect my cable (which is not a crossover cable btw) to my windows machine, a light will not show up that it's on and windows is unable to detect my cable. it says that the media is disconnected.

does this mean i need a crossover cable

Did you follow all the instructions in the link above? You're setting up a direct connection, not connecting Windows to a network. Go through the steps in that link.

Steve

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 8, 2006, 06:38 PM

yeah im following the steps. but the light on the back of my windows computer that's suppose to light up doesn't even light up.

ibook_steve
Aug 8, 2006, 07:12 PM

It won't until you set up the connection. Just enable file sharing on the PC and connect to it from the Mac. Make sure you turn on file sharing and then enable the sharing of a folder or disk on your PC.

Steve

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 09:27 PM

I think that ethernet is the way to go.

jocker
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 06:29 AM

The light isn't going to light up because (if reading your post I am correct) you haven't even got your MBP yet and so you you've plugged your ethernet cable into nothing. Am I right?

Wait until your MBP arrives.
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

mudman2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 07:35 AM

Also dont expect the transfer to be as fast as you are being told, even over ethernet peer to peer it will take a while to transfer 6GB over. Its bytes not bits remember.

golden_zap  (op)
Aug 10, 2006, 11:45 AM

sorry, I should clarify myself, it came a few days ago.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 PM

All this talk about 'the quickest way' has taken too long. Would have been better off zipping stuff to CD-Rs...

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 08:22 AM

Ethernet crossover cable. The end

gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 11:18 AM

This is really interesting.

I have 3 external hard drives all of them decent sizes (two 320gb and one 80g).

I occasionally move 50GB worth of data around the external hard drive via usb 2.0 AND let me tell you something it takes forever!!!

So what kind of equipment (Hardware and software) do I need to utilize this ethernet crossover??

I would love to use such thing over the slow ass usb 2.0.

BTW have a MBP 2.0ghz 15inch

ibook_steve
Aug 11, 2006, 11:30 AM

Wow. OK, first of all, ethernet crossover is a type of ethernet cable that's typically been used to connect two computers directly without going through a hub or router. The transmit and receive signals are simply crossed over each other to do this. This is no longer needed because the ethernet hardware on modern machines can detect the signals over the network and cross or un-cross themselves as appropriate, as has already been stated here.

Second, ethernet is ethernet. Unless you have a faster version of ethernet, like gigabit, the fastest currently available on a Mac and probably not on your PC, it's not going to reduce the amount of time it takes to transfer stuff. "Ethernet crossover" does not refer to some new super fast technology.

Steve

gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 11:49 AM

Ok that explains why I have never seen or heard of such thing for faster data transfer between hard drives...

Forum Links
Forum Rules