Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Finder and background clicks

OS 9 Finder and background clicks
Jolin
Jan 10, 2000, 04:17 PM

Hello,

Does anyone else have this same, extremely frustrating behaviour in Mac OS 9? In the Finder:

If you have two windows open, one in the foreground, one in the background. You try and drag something from the background window into the foreground window -- click, hold, drag. But on the click, the background window comes to the foreground. If it is bigger than the original foreground window, it might cover it up, leaving you nowhere to drag.

In all previous OS releases (at least from 6.x up), a click and drag from a background window left that window in the background. It was one of the nice touches that made the Mac finder easier to use than Windows. I just spoke to Apple Tech Support and they tried to tell me it was a feature -- she didn't really seem to know what was going on though.

I don't think it's a feature, because in Apple's Mac Help, one of the keyboard shortcuts is "Comman+Drag Window: Moves a window without making it active". Doing this on my machine simply makes the window active, and moves it. In other words, the Finder no longer distinguishes between background and foreground clicks. Does anyone else have (or not have) this problem? I find it _really_ annoying, so if it's some sort of software conflict, I'd like to know.

Cheers,
Jolin

Jolin
Jan 11, 2000, 03:50 PM

Well,

If anyone reads this, I've actually solved the problem. It turned out to be an extension problem caused by Aladdin's True Finder Integration control panel -- and I thought they'd fixed it for OS 9! So if anyone else is experiencing the same problem (and has StuffIt Deluxe installed), there's the solution.

On another note, I was playing around with System 6.0.8 last night (long story...) and found that it doesn't let you drag a file from a background window without bringing the window to the front. I guess System 7 was where this feature was introduced.

Cheers,
Jolin

Forum Links
Forum Rules