Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.2.1 on G4 AGP = good, 9.2.1 on Cube = bad

9.2.1 on G4 AGP = good, 9.2.1 on Cube = bad
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2001, 10:41 PM

Just some observations.

Over about a ten day span, my Cube has gotten slower and slower, with random delays launching apps, SUPER slow startup times, (at first it started up faster under 9.2, but has gotten incrementally slower) and poor performance for RC5. Norton, TechTool, and Disk Warrior (bought DW just for the occasion) were of no particular use, nor was all the related info at MacFixit. Fortunately, I've got a good backup of 9.1, and switched back to it this evening, much to my relief. Things are nice and snappy again, and I think I'll lay off the update on the Cube. Maybe OS X and 9.2 on another partition, but 9.1 stays where it is.

The Tower at work, however, likes 9.2.1 None of the slowdowns, or weirdness, in fact it's more stable. I copied the update file from my Cube to a Zip disk, and took it to work, so they were both updated from the exact same download. If anything, RC5 runs faster, now on the tower.

Go figger.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Cipher13
Sep 10, 2001, 05:40 AM

I'm back on 9.04 on my tower.
G4 400 AGP.

9.21 showed NO improvement, was a bit slower, and chewed the hard drive; and it handles drive corruption in-Finder (very bad).

Awful.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2001, 10:28 AM

Drive corruption in-finder? As opposed to? Explain? I'm not sure what that means.

I saw about a 25% speed reduction on the cube with 9.2.1. RC5 benchmarked t 3.4 Mkeys/sec. After going back to 9.1, it benchmarked at 3.95.

The G4 450 Tower benchmarks at 4.02 Mkeys/sec under 9.2.1 up from 3.96 or so. Mainly, Illustrator has ceased it's maddening buggieness under 9.2, and we actually ran the Tower for 2 days between restarts, a new record. Under 9.1, Illustrator went down 3 or 4 times a day (under pretty heave use) and took the machine with it once or twice a day.

I DO still have 9.1 on the second drive on the tower, just in case. 9.04 was a little weird on it, don't recall why.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Cipher13
Sep 11, 2001, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>Drive corruption in-finder? As opposed to? Explain? I'm not sure what that means.</STRONG>
The Finder looks out for it.

I got an error saying the drive was corrupted... in an old-style error dialog window (not a floating palette one). Dismissed it. It came back forever. At the SAME TIME I got a palette warning. So I had these TWO errors in the Finder which would reappear whenever dismissed.

I force restarted and booted off my 9.04 partition, deleted 9.21, and went back to good ole 9.04. Gotta love it.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2001, 05:16 AM

9.2.1 works flawlessly on my Cube (upgraded from 9.1). I don't notice any speed differences. 9.2 alpha was unstable on the Cube, but 9.2.1 I've used for everyday work since it was released, without any problems so far.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 11, 2001, 07:40 AM

i get this:

i'd rather not...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Eugene Fields
Sep 11, 2001, 09:36 AM

9.2.1 is Flawless on My 450/i.2gb Cube. Zippier than ever and Better than ever.
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2001, 01:23 PM

I think 9.2.1 is snappier but for some reason my gear doesn't like something in it.

B&W G3 rev 2 with G4/500 XLR8
ATTO UL3S (was fine with 2940U2B)
SoftRAID 2.2.2 (RAID0, RAID1, plain hfs+)

Seems like extension conflict, or that 9.2.1 corrupts a preference file itself, or that Microsoft libraries used by IE 5.01.

I've done everything, clean low level reformat, clean install, only install what I need, used 9.2.1 base set and turned off everything but what is essential to getting online.

I don't think 9.2.1 was tested enough and if I HAVE to use it when 10.1 comes out, I don't think I can.

I've spent 10 days doing nothing but try to find the cause. Changes in Drive Setup 2.07 perhaps. It seems to work very well on my 10k and 15k disk drive.

Cipher13
Sep 12, 2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
<STRONG>i get this:

i'd rather not...</STRONG>
I got that (would reappear whenever dismissed), as well as a normal error dialog. What a pain.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2001, 12:33 PM

I have (I think) identified a possible culprit for some of the sluggishness.

After I upgraded to 9.2.1, I noticed, using Peek-A-Boo, that the control strip was tasking the processor, something like 10-20%. When I went back to 9.1, this stopped, and the control strip was idle, unless I was actually using it.

HOWEVER, I decided yesterday to upgrade to QuickTime 5.0, since I could, and for no other good reason. After doing so, the drain on the processor from the control strip was back! I disabled all the QT 3D related extensions (I don't play games, or do video, or 3D rendering, so I figure I don't need them--correct me if I'm wrong) and it stopped again.

Now the control strip is idle again.

Why? Why would QT 3D extensions make the control strip continuously tax the processor? This seems lame.

CV

Forum Links
Forum Rules