Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why do people collect DVDs?

Why do people collect DVDs? (Page 2)
Ham Sandwich
Aug 15, 2006, 06:21 AM

I "own" about 900 movies - about 100 of those I actually purchased. Yeah, the rest were "stolen". And, yeah, I'll probably go to hell for it.

The ones I do purchase are ones that I will watch over and over again. Great movies, Adult Swim and Pixar stuff, etc. The ones that are copied are ones I'll watch once but need to hang on to as I have a collecting disorder.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Yet perfectly consistent with his single-minded, inflexible and Doofycentric world-view. I've decided that these forums are more readable if I work under the assumption that the personality "Doofy" is nothing more than a parody of something and move on.
Oh, but there is a much easier way.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 07:44 AM

Right then... ...have any of you muppets actually attempted to answer Besson3c's question instead of just telling him what your preference is? No, thought not.

Here it is again, for those who missed it:

Originally Posted by Besson3c
I have a few DVDs myself, stuff that I've gotten for gifts and stuff, downloads I've archived, etc. I can understand owning a few, but what I don't get are these massive collections.
It's a fact that the preference between ownership and rental is rooted in the same decision making processes which determine political preference.

Heck, Marx even built a whole philosophy around rental.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Yet perfectly consistent with his single-minded, inflexible and Doofycentric world-view.
I must have missed a memo or something. Whose world-view am I supposed to have? Yours? Analogika's? Send your girlfriends over and we'll see if I can't start to make headway into that.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 07:59 AM

Oddly, most of the truly left-wing people I know (those with a real, avid interest in politics) have HUGE libraries.

Book-collecting, apparently, is not something that enters the right-wing sphere of perception, eh, Doofy? Just book-burning on the extreme right fringe, eh?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Oddly, most of the truly left-wing people I know (those with a real, avid interest in politics) have HUGE libraries.
Well, they need to get their opinions from somewhere, don't they?

Book-collecting, apparently, is not something that enters the right-wing sphere of perception, eh, Doofy? Just book-burning on the extreme right fringe, eh?
Yes, the books thing is perhaps an exception to the theory. Maybe it's different because books are not about themselves - they're about the contents. Thus, a large library doesn't represent a large collection of items, but rather a large collection of knowledge.

See where you get when you actually engage in conversation instead of simply saying "that's dumb"?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 08:15 AM

So, since I have a couple of hundred cassette tapes, several dozen DVDs, and a couple of THOUSAND vinyl albums, as well as a vintage keyboard collection, I must be right wing - especially since I at one point gave away several hundred of my books.

I really don't see how your post helped any beyond the "you're an idiot" stage, Doofy.

At least it'll keep me amused through the day.

Counter-theory:

I do believe that people who are wealthy tend to vote conservative, since conservative politicians tend to come from wealthy backgrounds themselves and tend to have conservation (read: betterment) of personal wealth (at the expense of all others) as a primary political interest.
It would seem that keeping a large collection of *anything* would have more to do with being able to ****ing AFFORD it than it would with any sort of political leaning.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 08:24 AM

Hey wow, I have to admit that I kind of agree with Doofy here!

Except that I think the "own-rent" rule applies to DVDs (and/or VHS) more than other collectable media if you want to see it the political way.

People with a few hundred videos in the shelf are usually people that I dislike pretty much when it comes to politics.
People with a few hundred LPs (or CDs) are usually very sympathetic (politically more the LP people).
People with a huge library of books are usually politically left in my opinion (except the ones with mainly books about cars, football, weapons and WWII or war in general).

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 08:27 AM

It would seem that keeping a large collection of *anything* would have more to do with being able to ****ing AFFORD it than it would with any sort of political leaning.
Pretty much. It's making a connection where none need be made.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 08:28 AM

I only buy DVDs of movies I expect to watch several times. Even the expensive ones ($20) wind up being paid for by (at most) four viewings. I can't tell you how many times I've watched some of them-The Wizard of Oz, for example, is probably sitting there at 25 or so viewings, 2001 a Space Odyssy at around 20, and the various installments of The Lord of The Rings at around 10 (due to length). I've seen tons of films that I might rent to see one more time, but maybe not...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 08:28 AM

So, since I have a couple of hundred cassette tapes, several dozen DVDs, and a couple of THOUSAND vinyl albums, as well as a vintage keyboard collection, I must be right wing
Go sell those tapes, DVDs, vinyls and keyboards and send the proceeds to starving folks in your area. No? Hmmm... ...maybe you're more right-wing than you think you are.

I really don't see how your post helped any beyond the "you're an idiot" stage, Doofy.
It got you thinking about, and typing, this:

Counter-theory:

I do believe that people who are wealthy tend to vote conservative, since conservative politicians tend to come from wealthy backgrounds themselves and tend to have conservation (read: betterment) of personal wealth (at the expense of all others) as a primary political interest.
Which is a good thing, no? That's what a forum is about, yes? Talking about stuff, postulating theories and counter-theories? Otherwise we could all just list our possessions (say, all the Macs we own), flop our willies out and reach for the tape measure.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 08:30 AM

Cost of a movie in the theater for two: $19.50

Cost of a DVD: $13.

So in a way you're beating the sysytem.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Even the expensive ones ($20) wind up being paid for by (at most) four viewings.
Bingo. And if you factor in not having to return it and being able to view it without going to get it at any time, its even cheaper.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Pretty much. It's making a connection where none need be made.
So answer Besson3c's question then.

Is size of DVD collection purely related to availability of (1) money to buy and (2) space to keep?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy

Is size of DVD collection purely related to availability of (1) money to buy and (2) space to keep?
I'd think liking movies factors in there somewhere.

And I did answer the OP on the past page.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 08:41 AM

In my case it's limited by time to sit and watch a movie. I don't buy what I won't watch, so I think about when I'll watch something before I buy it. I could probably afford a much larger library, but only monetarily-I can't afford the time to make buying many mored DVDs worth my while.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Anyway, besson3c, are you telling me that there is not a single movie you watch repeatedly and never tire of?

Some movies can be played over and over again, like a piece of music. I've got a bunch of Hitchcock and old Bogart movies that I own on DVD and have watched dozens of times. Every time I watch them they yield something new. Maybe that's the definition of a really good movie.

I've seen Star Wars several times, but the vast majority of movies I only watch once. When I have the time to watch a movie and when I'm in the mood to do so, I generally watch something that I haven't seen before. I find that there is no shortage of movies I want to watch.

Perhaps our viewing habits are just different, that is cool

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 09:46 AM

Yeah, because those damn liberal professors in all those damn liberal schools don't own no books!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 09:51 AM

Doofy, there are just too many variables to account for in making hard and fast rules about this, that was what was wrong with your theory.

I was just looking for some perspective as to how people justify these collections, which I'm getting plenty of. I wasn't looking at analyzing these people, because I think it takes more to slap a label on something than just looking at something like their DVD collection.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 09:53 AM

In my case it's limited by time to sit and watch a movie. I don't buy what I won't watch, so I think about when I'll watch something before I buy it. I could probably afford a much larger library, but only monetarily-I can't afford the time to make buying many mored DVDs worth my while.

There are also people that are more pack-rat-like than others. Some people have a really hard time disposing of things, and some like to accumulate a lot of stuff - either by buying crap or acquiring through other means. Others enjoy collecting to round out a complete set of some sort.

(I don't understand why people buy all sorts of crap they don't really need, but that's a topic for another thread

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Why do people track DVD releases, and wait patently until they can buy them the moment they come out on DVD?
DVD's are limited in production. Some, more limited than others. Snooze and loose.

What percentage of movies do you find yourself taking the time to watch more than once?
I guarentee that watching a movie more than once will get you a more thorough understanding of it. Are you saying that you understood 5th Element, or Matrix FULLY the first time you saw it?

Why would you run out to buy a DVD when you can borrow it from the library, rent it, borrow it from a friend, etc.?
Who HAS a copy of the Widescreen editors cut of Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms?

what I don't get are these massive collections. I just don't get how this sort of thing is a smart investment - or do people collect movies like they collect baseball cards?
You buy them for the times you want to see THAT movie instead of whatevers on TV at the time. Say instead of political conventions, the olympics, Bowling etc.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 12:17 PM

I've bought tons of movies and TV shows (and unfortunately, so have the girls). All told, we have around 1500 movies and 100 TV box sets, and that's after thinning out quite few. It's just something I like to do. If I want to see something, I just walk to the shelf and get it. Driving to the rental place or waiting on Netflix is tedious.

Plus, the shelves of movies look nice in the HT room (though, I keep most in paper sleeves in a special filing cabinet).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 12:21 PM

Why do people track DVD releases, and wait patently until they can buy them the moment they come out on DVD? What percentage of movies do you find yourself taking the time to watch more than once?

Why would you run out to buy a DVD when you can borrow it from the library, rent it, borrow it from a friend, etc.?

I have a few DVDs myself, stuff that I've gotten for gifts and stuff, downloads I've archived, etc. I can understand owning a few, but what I don't get are these massive collections. I just don't get how this sort of thing is a smart investment - or do people collect movies like they collect baseball cards?
Almost every DVD I own, I have watched at least 5 times. I usally wait until I can get them in the 10-12.00 range.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

I probably have about 800 movies, some aquired through Blockbuster online (used to have Netflix) and others through work (I get everything from Fox and affiliated studios, and lots of new releases from AMPAS membership.) I like rotating the best 200 or so ripped DVDs on a media server, but many I just end up tossing. I probably haven't watched even half of what I own.

I find the real reason I personally have a lot of DVDs, is that actual *watchable* films are so few and far between that one needs hundreds of them to stand a chance of coming across a really good one- kind of a variation on the 'buckshot' theory.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
I probably have stolen about 800 movies, some stolen through Blockbuster online (used to have Netflix) and others through work (I get everything from Fox and affiliated studios, and lots of new releases from AMPAS membership.) I like rotating the best 200 or so stolen DVDs on a media server, but many I just end up tossing. I probably haven't watched even half of what I have stolen.

I find the real reason I personally have a lot of DVDs, is that actual *watchable* films are so few and far between that one needs hundreds of them to stand a chance of coming across a really good one- kind of a variation on the 'buckshot' theory.
*Fixed*

I think you are missing the point... he is asking why people would buy a collection of movies I think, not why they would steal a collection.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
No idea. With a Netflix account, I can have any DVD I want in my hands in 2 days.

I buy maybe 2 DVDs a year. 3-at-a-time Netflix is great.

EDIT: I have well over a thousand CDs and 5 full bookshelves, but I find that I've started using the library a lot more recently (I only read most books once). Music is different; I listen to it over and over.
( Last edited by ink; Aug 15, 2006 at 05:54 PM. )

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
*Fixed*
I think you are missing the point... he is asking why people would buy a collection of movies I think, not why they would steal a collection.
Ah, well the thread title is "Why do people collect DVDs?" So that was my answer to that. As for why some "invest" in buying huge collections of DVDs, I have no idea, but I'm glad people do. Keeps the industry going.

Also, much of what I have was given to me because I work for a major studio and that's just one of the perks.

And really now, I prefer the term "transfered" to "stolen"! Much of the crap out there isn't worth "stealing", but some is perhaps worth a "transfer" from one storage device to another.*

*Yes, I'm justifying theft. So be it.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 04:01 PM

I think something like netflix would really work for me. I have the attention span of a goldfish, and I never watch movies more than once or twice (The Emperor's New Groove being the only exception to that rule). I own maybe 20 or 30 movies on VHS and DVD combined, and I never watch any of them.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 05:13 PM

I really like to own some because I watch them over and over again. When there is nothing on television I just put on one of my movies and I am happy like the sun, with a goofy smile on my face.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 05:29 PM

i buy dvds because:

-i like to watch the film again and again (including special content)
-i can lend the film to friends
-there's just something about ownership that appeals to me
-a group of artists who can create something i enjoy deserve to be supported (so they can go on to create more things i will enjoy)

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 06:53 PM

I own 2 DVDs.

Deliverance

and

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Somewhere around here there's also a copy of 'Finding Nemo' - but it's not mine. It belongs to some really hot chick named Sarah I met at a bar. She wanted to eat some mushrooms and trip out on the animation.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 07:06 PM

I buy some DVDs because I am really attracted to them.

Hunt for Red October, I own, and viewed more than 30 times. I love the organic mood of the movie. There is something quite fine about the acting.

AKIRA, the special edition in a metallic case. That is pure fetishism.

Gandhi: I read the auto-biography, and the movie is an awesome interpretation.

The Battle of Angiers, and The Fog of War are also very interesting to watch.

The Seven Samurai and many movies from Kurosawa.

The Red, White and Blue trilogy of Kieslowski (including The Double Life of Veronica).

Solaris, the original, a classic.

I Dream of Jenna: another (albeit somewhat different) classic for which I have an unexplainable attachment.

andi*pandi
Aug 15, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
i buy dvds because:

-i like to watch the film again and again (including special content)
-i can lend the film to friends
-there's just something about ownership that appeals to me
-a group of artists who can create something i enjoy deserve to be supported (so they can go on to create more things i will enjoy)
agreed for me too. Sometimes the price is a factor--let's say I like a movie, but don't like it enough to own at $30... at $12 it starts looking more ownable.

The same rules apply with books and music, although I'm much more likely to buy a book on a "hey, this looks interesting, let's give it a shot" basis.

we've only got a small collection though. <100 movies and tv shows.

generationfourt
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 08:36 PM

I felt the same way about CD's a year or so ago. I just really wasn't into music and couldn't see how anyone could put so much into a CD collection. Especially now a days where you could find pretty much anything in the "free basket".

But since then I've discovered a genre of music that I really love, and is pretty rare and hard to find for the most part. I bought a couple, discovered a few more artists, bought some more, and it just avalanched. I have bought like 70+ imported cds from amazon that take a couple of weeks to come in- in the past 8 months.

Basically it's just a hobbie. Some people like Cd's. Some like to watch movies. Some just like using their Home theater or car stereo. Some just have kids who like to watch some movies 2985730497853094578394578 times...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 08:46 PM

Can't get enough of those Bollywood soundtracks?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 08:51 PM

I thought it was to encourage people to come over and watch them with you (or to spread the gospel of Firefly, eg). And also so people who were already over could look up at your wall and say "hey, you like Cabin Boy? I like Cabin Boy too!" They're like decorations, except DVDs are often cheaper than the movie posters (per movie, not per sq. ft.). Then there are people who have movies on in the background of their lives all the time...

I don't subscribe.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 09:12 PM

I will only buy if the replay value is good enough. Lately I've been skipping movie and buying TV shows on DVD. Arrested Development, The Office and Futurama have a huge replay value for me, and while I still think the sets are overpriced I buy anyway.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
$15 per DVD sounds pretty low, but nonetheless, I'd rather pay a $1000 for a collection and own the DVDs indefinitely than pay $250 a year and have nothing to show for it afterward. I really hate subscription services and wish I didn't have to put up with one for cell phone service.
It's not "nothing" to show for it:

$1000 / 15 = 67 movies with unlimited views in a year
$250 / 53 / 3 = $1.57 per view of 159 different movies or TV shows in a year

This is assuming ~$18/month for 3 movies per week on Netflix. We sometimes go through 5 or 6 movies a week, and sometimes only 1 or 2. Also note that TV shows cost $$$ to buy on DVD, but they are exactly the same as any other disc on Netflix.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
I buy some DVDs because I am really attracted to them.

Hunt for Red October, I own, and viewed more than 30 times. I love the organic mood of the movie. There is something quite fine about the acting.
That's the only movie I tolerate Alec Baldwin in. He even does a credible impression of Connery's Scot/Russian accent.

Solaris, the original, a classic.
Where can I get a copy of that one?!?!? I've been looking for it for a LONG time!

I Dream of Jenna: another (albeit somewhat different) classic for which I have an unexplainable attachment.

Say no more...

memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 10:16 PM

It's a fact that the preference between ownership and rental is rooted in the same decision making processes which determine political preference.
I don't buy books because I have a library card. If I want to re-read something (rarely), I go check it out again. It's right next to the grocery store so it's very convenient to stop by. I can even reserve online and walk in and have the book waiting for me. My tax dollars bought those books anyway.

I don't buy DVDs because I have a Netflix account. If I want to see something more than once (rarely), I re-rent it. If I have a hankering for something right now, Blockbuster will do or more recently we have "Redbox" which is a DVD rental vending machine. $1 per night, 1 night minimum. It's located IN the grocery store. I own exactly 5 DVDs that I feel I watch often enough to warrant owning them.

I do buy music simply because it's something I listen to over and over again. Since the iTunes Music Store opened, however, I haven't purchased a single CD. True story.

I also purchase software, again, because it's something I use over and over again.

I'm a lefty. Did I just prove your point?

I just don't believe in purchasing crap that will sit on a shelf after being used once (books and DVDs). Music and software are digital so the clutter factor is near nil.

To the person who whined about after 2 years you have nothing to show for a Netflix account: Wrong. You have 2 years worth of being entertained to show for it. Oh, and $7000 in your pocket.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Very seldom do I think to myself, "You know, I'd really like to watch Saved in two days."
That's why I keep a copy on my PowerBook

Actually a friend recently bought me a copy.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
That's why I keep a copy on my PowerBook

Actually a friend recently bought me a copy.

What is your friend's name?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2006, 02:56 PM

I have about 250 DVDs. I like to own my DVDs, I love all the extras and inserts and stuff. Could be the Graphic Designer in me. I like DVDs that do fancy stuff with the packaging like the original ALIENS and the Nightmare on Elm Street box set. The Thing is cool, too.

I buy all my DVDs so I don't have to rent them. As I found out with NetFlix, if the movie is a 3 DVD set with extras and stuff, they count as 3 different DVDs to rent. Bah. So I just Netflix to rent movies I normally wouldn't 've rented at the Blockbuster, or movies I didn't want to spend $12.50 at the theatre to see.

If there's a movie and I like it, I buy it so I can watch it whenever I want.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
DVD's are limited in production. Some, more limited than others. Snooze and loose.
Red Sonja and Prince of Darkness are all you need to know about "limited edition" DVDs. Red Sonja was released on DVD at one point for a few months, then due to a Copyright issue, they had to stop printing it. So the DVD only made it onto the shelves at a few places. No one could find it. Soon, copies crept onto eBay and were going for $300 to $400 a DVD. It was insane.

Same thing happened with Prince of Darkness. I think there was a licensing issue with John Carpenter and the DVD had been canceled after a few prints. So, again, that one only a few people had and it ended up on eBay for crap load of money.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2006, 03:10 PM

What is your friend's name?
Is it me or is this a really weird question?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 03:25 PM

I've been waiting for HD for 10 years now.

I decided I'll one day buy my favorite movies for my library, but at a decent quality that does justice to film. For me, DVD was never good enough and collecting 35mm would have been too weird.

If HD-DVD or BluRay disks are well produced, I think I'll start a small collection.

DVDs are nice for rentals, though.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 04:59 PM

Some people like to own, rather than rent.

You'll probably find that this preference is one of the things which determines their political allegiances.
I prefer to own

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 05:14 PM

Heck, Marx even built a whole philosophy around rental.
I have about 250dvds, about half are legit and the other half are blackmarket. I also have a few hundred divx. I also rent. What does that make me? I feel so confused.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 06:44 PM

(About Solaris)

Where can I get a copy of that one?!?!? I've been looking for it for a LONG time!
Look through Criterion.

Happy viewing!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 07:11 PM

Look through Criterion.

Happy viewing!

Thanks! This is going to be as dangerous to my wallet as [uyrl=http://www.kino.com/]Kino[/url] is!

Forum Links
Forum Rules