Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiuser issues x 3

Multiuser issues x 3
shorton
Jan 18, 2000, 11:04 PM

Hi, I just upgraded to MacOS9 and have 3 questions regarding Multiuser.

1. Even though I have all users configured to use the network browser, when in any limited account I can't seem to get appletalk to ever mount a remote volume, even though it appears in the network brower. Works fine in a normal user account, but not a restricted user though I would like to give them access.

2. When I use the keyboard to command-Q an application (rather than the Quit command in the file menu of the application) not only does the application quit, but the multiuser dialog appears asking me if I want to quit the user environemt the way it would if I issued the Quit command when in the finder. Happens about 90% of the time.

3. I added a few GIF images to the multiuser control panel but they seem to disappear and I can't get them back. (I added 256 color only).When I open the user pictures file (startup volume:system references:mulituser items ictures:user pictures) in resedit or Graphics converter, the picture resources are still there, however. Rebuilding the Desktop files didn't help. Any ideas? Memory issue? (though I don't get any dialogs regarding memory)

Any help appreciated. Thanks. Scott

[This message has been edited by shorton (edited 01-18-2000).]

gMan
Jan 19, 2000, 03:26 AM

You can remove the command-Q shortcut with a ResEdit hack.

1. Open the "Multi-User Startup" extension in ResEdit
2. Open STR# resource 15100
3. String number 7 should say "Logout/Q"
4. Delete the "/Q" to remove the shortcut, or change it to a key you would rather use.

As for the pictures disappearing, all I know is that if you don't assign the picture to a user, it will disappear.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2000, 04:20 AM

Hi all:

Scott, regarding item 1 (AppleShare issues for Limited Users), are the limited users choosing to automatically connect to the mounted volume at startup? If so, the mount may fail since limited users don't have access privileges for the Owner's System Folder (aliases of auto-connect volumes are usually placed into the Owner's System Folder). Hmmm, then again, it could have something to do with the Keychain Access...

Regarding item 2 (Command-Q problems), you can also try disabling the 'OSA Menu' extension if you have it installed/enabled. For example, see some of my posts in the related Command-Q in app = Logout? topic.

Regarding item 3 (disappearing user pictures), if you're running with a non-Base extensions set, try temporarily removing the existing 'User Pictures' file, restarting with only the Base extensions enabled, then adding the pictures again. (I know it's a pain, but it might help to rule out a third-party conflict.)

Good luck,

--Paul

shorton  (op)
Jan 25, 2000, 09:42 AM

Thanks so far, everyone. Here's an update:

1. Still having problems with mounting remote volumes in a limited user's account. Mount at startup is not enabled. Also if a limited user is logged in on a machine, I can't access this machine remotely via the chooser or network browser.

2. It seems that the OSA menu extension is likely the culprit here. I have 2 machines with OS9 and only the one with OSA seems to exhibit this behavior.

3. I increased the memory from 750K to 2500K for the MultiUser control panel and the pictures now seem to be OK. At least for a day.

NOW for a new MultiUser issue. Is there any way to create a normal user account (not the owner) and have the Mac desktop appear as it normally does and not in a "user environment?"

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules