Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > How to mod a PS2 Controller to Plug in Via USB

How to mod a PS2 Controller to Plug in Via USB
Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 11:50 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew how to, or could direct me towards a guide of how to, convert a PS2 controller to USB so i could plug it into my iBook, I have the PS2 controller I'm welling to sacrifice, as well as a USB cable, I think i have to cut off the PS2 controller end and the USB end and splice them together somehow... however that is my problem... I don't know how.

kick52
Baninated
Aug 17, 2006, 03:46 AM

you can get an adaptor, but i forget the address. google it.

Flip500  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 10:43 AM

yeah I know, i'm not really that interested in saving the PS2 part of the controller so I thought i could save my self the $20.... I think i've seen a guide for Xbox controllers, but none for PS2.... hmmmmmm...

Kissargi
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 01:25 PM

the xbox controllers use usb to connect to the xbox, they have a different shape, but its basically a usb port so its easy to just replace it. I think the ps2 uses its own proprietary system so you probably wont be able to do it.

Could always pick up a small xbox controller on ebay they are meant to be very good.

Flip500  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 01:32 PM

yeah, i saw a xbox guide online, but it's a little late... i already ruined one ps2 dance pad, i'll try to put it back together later i guess. thanks though

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 01:32 PM

You can't just splice wires. USB is a lot more than just that. It's an intelligent interface and there are controller chips you need, etc.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules