Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Enet, or appleshare hang on finder launch

Enet, or appleshare hang on finder launch
cujo
Jan 22, 2000, 07:22 PM

I have a G4/450 256MB, and a G3 400 192MB that are both running OS9, and have second hard disks. On a clean install, they both run great. After a while, they start pausing during the finder launch (usuall right between the time it displays the start-up drive icon and my slave drive icon) . This pause is up to 2.5 minutes, then it continues just fine until the next time I restart. I have found that most of the time if I just drag an unmolested enet extension into the extensions folder, and it usually works fine on the next reboot. But recently that did not work, and I had it narrowed down to the Apple Share extension. Replacing it worked once, but then it went back to the pausing. So now I don't know what is going on.

Does anyone have any ideas, or the same problem?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2000, 09:10 PM

i have a hunch... see if you have an invisble file named 'AppleShare PDS' on your HD's and if so delete it.

also, there have been some issues with 'temporary files' and you might want to check this out: http://www.macnn.com/contributions/tempitemsfold.shtml

at the bottom of the above site you will find a link to a useful freeware item to deal with temp files.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2000, 09:43 PM

You might also look at the AppleShare Prep file in the extensions folder. I work with several different kinds of Macs on networks and tossing that file and resetting volumes that mount on startup fixes problems many times. Even if you don't mount to shared volumes on startup, there might still be a corrupt file of that type.

Hope this helps.

cujo
Jan 25, 2000, 05:01 AM

Thank you both for your responses, they were things that I had not thought of but, Iunfortunatly they did not work. I went as far as to also install a lean system folter, and start replacing items one by one from the system. The most response I got out of it, is it would not launch apple share after I took a system file out, so I am just going to hope that apple releases 9.1 in boston next month, or maybe even sooner.

Thanks again

Cujo

Kerry Brys
Jan 31, 2000, 06:37 PM

I have also experienced this slow down but it happens on all Mac Clients running OS 8.X - 9.0. The problem occured when I installed OS 9 and AppleShare 6.3 on my servers. I have not had time to trouble shoot this but i have tried everything that has been posted and have had no luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules