Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > TCP/IP Preferences

TCP/IP Preferences
Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2000, 11:50 PM

Little background. I've got a cable modem hooked up and am running OS9. After starting the computer, it seems as the the modem and computer are not talking at all. When I talk with modem tech support and adjust and save settings in TCP/IP ctrl panel, connection starts working (99% of the time). It wasn't changed settings that correct the problem, but the fact that I update the pref file. Now, if it doesn't work, I change a setting in the control panel, save it, change it back to the way it was, and save it again. Voila, it works.

Why does my pref file become either corrupted or not being read?

John

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2000, 11:59 PM

you might try deleting the TCP/IP pref's rather than just modifying and saving... you are not ridding yourself of any corruption that may still be in the file when you modify and save.

think of the reason why TechTool deletes the Desktop DB and DF files before a desktop rebuild... there's little/no chance of updating a corrupted DB or DF file... if you do an 'Apple method' desktop rebuild you could be updating a corrupted file... similarly you should delete the TCP/IP pref's then reset them after restart.

Junebug172  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2000, 02:45 AM

Both the prefs file and the MacTCP DNR file were deleted and everything reentered. Desktop has been rebuilt with no luck.

cloud8
Jan 30, 2000, 11:46 PM

be sure to have cable modem on at least 1 minute before turning mac on. Also check to see if you have file sharing on, or websharing, sometimes these take a long time. Also check your prefs to be sure you are running "advanced mode" and under options- that "load only when needed" is not checked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules