Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 and Software Update

OS 9 and Software Update
CharlieB
Jan 23, 2000, 04:52 PM

OS 9 works well in all respects for me except for Software update. When I try to use Software update, I get a freeze and have to restart. Any thoughts?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2000, 06:28 PM

first, have you updated the Software Update control panel? Apple has released a newer version than that which came on the MacOS9 CD... Software Update 1.1 is current...

CharlieB
Jan 23, 2000, 08:23 PM

OK. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

mmartz
Jan 24, 2000, 03:19 PM

Software update just has problems. I've tried the 1.1 version on 3 different machines. Sometimes it works- about 25% of the time. Other times it fails to quit the other open applications and just sits there in the background - I have to force quit it and start over. It seems that quiting every appl except the finder helps it activate itself. But it still will languish while downloading, often never finishing. I have a T1 connection and have let it go for 30 minutes. My experience so far has been that it is faster to download and install manually.

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2000, 05:02 PM

Charlie, the best way to make Software update work is by restarting your machine with the os9 BASE extension set running before you go into the software update control panel. I had problems with this before I decided to try turning extensions off, and now that they're off, I have used it 2 times without a problem.

CharlieB
Jan 24, 2000, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I finally gave up and did a clean install of OS 9. Software update still does not work. Even with OS 9 Base. Apple says they will call back within 24 hrs-could not explain the problem. I agree it is MUCH easier to do a manual download. However,it is supposed to work!

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2000, 03:34 PM

I reformatted my HD and did a clean install of MacOS9 and have had NO problems with Software Update. The only thing I have noticed is that software update will not update everything available. After you run it, run it again, and see if any updates were queued up waiting for you to install the one that you just did.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2000, 08:18 PM

I haven't had any problems with software update myself... os9 on an imac dvse. One time it did just sit there waiting for other apps to quit, and after like 3 minutes they finally did. Other than that, though, it's worked great. Kinda sucks people are having problems cuz it's a cool idea and since I've had no problems with it, I really like it.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Forum Links
Forum Rules