Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > More Multiuser Questions

More Multiuser Questions
shorton
Feb 2, 2000, 10:09 PM

1. In a limited user environment, I cannot get Claris emailer to make a connection to the AOL mail server. Works fine in a "normal" environment. All the appropriate files, prefs. etc. seem to be in the correct place. Any ideas?

2. Cannot launch the AOL application when in a limited environment. Dialog box says cannot open the main database even though it's located where it should be. Works fine in owner's environment. Any ideas?

3. Appletalk ehternet network. Even though all of my limited users have full network privleges, access to the chooser and Network Browser; if logged in as a limited user cannot access any servers on the network (even though they show up in both the chooser and network browser). Also any "server" that is logged in as a limited user cannot be accessed from another Mac on the network even though it appears too. Interestingly, network printers seem to print just fine.

4. I'm so sick of trying to make multi-users work that I wish PowerOn Software would update their OnGuard product for MacOS9. It worked GREAT for me in the past. I'm forever copying preference files to the users prefs files, re-registering software that can't be worked around in this manner, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks in Advance.

BobDalgleish
Feb 4, 2000, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by shorton:
2. Cannot launch the AOL application when in a limited environment. Dialog box says cannot open the main database even though it's located where it should be. Works fine in owner's environment. Any ideas?

(I have not test this, so your mileage may vary).
There are a couple of "hidden" applications that AOL makes use of. If they are not available, because they have to be enabled explicitly for limited users, the main AOL application may not be able to access the database.

shorton  (op)
Feb 4, 2000, 03:49 PM

Does anyone know the name of these "hidden" AOL applications so that I may try to enable them? Are they visible or invisible?
Thanks.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2000, 09:53 PM

Hi Scott,

In terms of the AOL issue, Apple has a possibly relevant TIL article; see Mac OS 9: Using America Online with Multiple Users.

In terms of the other issues, if you haven't already done so, try searching for related posts in this MacNN Forum or over on MacFixIt's Forums or Apple's Forums. I do wish you success in resolving the Emailer and networking issues for Limited users. Most of those problems are caused by a lack of sufficient access privileges... As you've discovered, the fun part is figuring out exactly which applications, control panels, extensions, background-only apps, and/or preference files are involved. (I too have had only "limited" success with Limited users, so only one of my users has been banished to that mode; all others are Normal users.)

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 02-06-2000).]

shorton  (op)
Feb 4, 2000, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the TIL tip. I'll give it a try. I had "searched" the TIL but had come up high and dry on this issue and appreciate the URL.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2000, 06:24 PM

Hi again Scott,

No problem... I do wish that Apple would provide better troubleshooting documentation about the Multiple Users feature. Even when we know some of the underlying technical issues, we are often still forced to figure out problems (and test workarounds) on our own.

Regards,

--Paul

shorton  (op)
Feb 6, 2000, 10:47 PM

A few more thoughts and workarounds. Even with the AOL folder resting in the application support folder the users can now launch AOL, but couldn't make a TCP connection and log onto the AOL network. Alas the problem here was the "kidsafe" extension. I had to go to the kidsafe website and allow users access to email and a few other things (duh!, I guess that's the way it's supposed to work) and then, voila, email via Claris Emailer 2.0v3 and the AOL application woes were history.

Now if I can only get file sharing on my Appletalk (ethernet) network to work in a limited user environment I'll be all set, for a while.

Thanks all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules