Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Stupid new user question

Stupid new user question
gl1tchy0ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 01:38 AM

Hey sorry to bother you guys with this I know that it is trival but I am buying my first mac tomorrow and need this answered ASAP.

So here is the question: I am getting an iMac G3 350MHZ that uses the PC100 3.3v ram. I want to upgrade but I have seen ram that is made for MAC and some that it for PC. So do I have to buy Mac specific memory for my little addition to the family or can I get any Ram that has the correct specs?

The other question: Does the hard drive had to be anything special. I have read some articles and it says that its just a plain old IDE drive and someone said it can handle upto 120GB.

Please Please answer these questions for me... I know I could dig and find the information but if someone could give me two minutes to type an answer I would be greatful.

Thanks,

gl1tchy0ne

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 01:42 AM

You can get any RAM that has the correct specs. It can be convenient, though, to use something like this to search multiple vendors for RAM listed under your iMac model: dealram: 32MB Apple iMac G3 (350-700) Computer Memory (PC100 SDRAM)

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

gl1tchy0ne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 02:34 AM

Hey thanks for that great answer... anyone have anything about the hard drive? I was came up with just one more question.

Once I upgrade the ram and stuff I was wondering if I can do a fresh install of OSX? I would prefer not to upgrade 9 or what not and just to a clean install of OSX. Oh and if I do that can I put OS 9 somewhere for compatible mode?

Thank you all so much for the information.

cms
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 10:41 AM

If you are buying an old G3 slot-loading iMac running OS 9 and want to run OSX on it, you MUST ensure you upgrade the firmware prior to installing the new software. If you don't you'll stuff your machine and render it unusable.

Go here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130

download the software and install by following the instructions exactly. Once the firmware has been upgraded, you can safely do a clean install of OSX. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't (or didn't -- maybe that has been remedied more recently?) make it clear anywhere that a firmware upgrade is ESSENTIAL for the older (tray and slot loaders) G3 iMacs prior to installing any version of OS X.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 11:24 AM

You can wipe the hard drive and clean install OS X but this will erase your current OS 9 install. If it comes with the installer disk for OS 9 (or the System Restore disks), I would update the firmware if it needs doing as recommended above. Wipe the hard drive and use the System Restore to install OS 9, and then install OS X.

However, I would ask why it is you think you'll need OS 9? Unless you already know that you have some software that you will definitely need OS 9 for, I simply wouldn't bother with it (you can always install it at a later date if you do find you need it). In which case, make sure the firmware is up to date, then wipe the drive and install OS X afresh.

gl1tchy0ne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 03:07 AM

Ok awesome I went and picked up the iMac today and am messaging from it currently. I cannot figure out how much ram it will take though. The apple website said that the first slot loader only took 512 but then in sep of 2000 they took 1 gig.

Problem is they don't tell you how to tell which one you have!

Here are the specs on my iMac:

G3 - 350Mhz
Had 128MB Ram I upgraded to 512 but would like 1 gig
had six gig hdd drive but now has 80GB
Slot loading CD-ROM @ 24X

Thanks for any information you could provide!

~gl1tchy0ne

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by gl1tchy0ne
Ok awesome I went and picked up the iMac today and am messaging from it currently. I cannot figure out how much ram it will take though. The apple website said that the first slot loader only took 512 but then in sep of 2000 they took 1 gig.

Problem is they don't tell you how to tell which one you have!

Here are the specs on my iMac:

G3 - 350Mhz
Had 128MB Ram I upgraded to 512 but would like 1 gig
had six gig hdd drive but now has 80GB
Slot loading CD-ROM @ 24X

Thanks for any information you could provide!

~gl1tchy0ne
You can tell which model you have by checking here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58669

You can check your model from the list of specs. Looking at the info. you have provided on the original specs, I'd say you have a 1999 model. What colour is your iMac?

gl1tchy0ne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 03:34 AM

The iMac is Blueberry

~glitchy0ne

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 03:54 AM

It's definitely a 1999 (October) iMac. AFAIK, You can upgrade to 1 GB, no problem.

gl1tchy0ne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 04:06 AM

Hey C thanks for the information. I just wish there was something concreate as I am going to have to order online and would prefer to know for sure. I cannot believe that Apple did not do a serial number or model number that you could find exact specs/upgrades with.

Really sucks...

~gl1tchy0ne

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by gl1tchy0ne
Hey C thanks for the information. I just wish there was something concreate as I am going to have to order online and would prefer to know for sure. I cannot believe that Apple did not do a serial number or model number that you could find exact specs/upgrades with.

Really sucks...

~gl1tchy0ne
Check out Crucial's wesbite if you are looking for additional peace of mind. It states that your iMac supports up to 1024 MB (1 GB) of RAM. Crucial is arguably the best (although definitely not the cheapest!) memory supplier around, so I'd be inclined to believe them. If you have any doubts, give them a call. Their customer support staff here in the UK are very knowledgeable and helpful, so I am sure they would offer the same or better level of pre-sales advice/service in the US.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Rodster
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2006, 10:48 AM

Mushkin Memory is also quality stuff as well and they are usually less expensive tha Crucial for Mac memory. I installed 1 gig of Mushkin Memory in my eMac ($100 One year ago), runs awesome.

Mushkin - Get More

Forum Links
Forum Rules