Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > software update

software update
lythari
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 02:55 AM

Hi,
I'm having problems software update. I'm running 9.0.4 and when I check for updates, there is an update for automatic software updater. I download it successfully, by I can't figure out how to get it to install.

thanks

posthumanus
Senior User
Apr 11, 2001, 03:19 AM

my advice: get rid of the damn thing and update your software manually through apple HQ or http://www.versiontracker.com/

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2001, 04:25 AM

software update usually downloads AND installs in the same action, therefore it may already be installed. Have you checked the "Get Info" window to see if it has been updated?

------------------

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2001, 11:06 AM

Agree with posthumanus - many of us scrapped SU and seek out and download
the updates we want manually.

SU has some erratic bugs in it - additionally, I don't want a program automatically
loading updates into my Macs that I may not want or need. Before downloading
anything, I read the read mes to determine if it's something that's going to be of
benefit - many are not.

WDL

lythari  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2001, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by iSilver:
software update usually downloads AND installs in the same action,
That's what I thought it did, but after I updated and checked for updates again (after a restart), the same update appears in the update window.

Posthumanus, WDL, yeah, maybe I'll try updating manually instead. Thanks a lot for your replies guys

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by lythari:
That's what I thought it did, but after I updated and checked for updates again (after a restart), the same update appears in the update window.

Posthumanus, WDL, yeah, maybe I'll try updating manually instead. Thanks a lot for your replies guys

it does install it aoutmaticly after you have downloaded it, and i wouldent worry if you have updated something then SU says uyou need to update it agian, as the others have said SU has a lot of bugs.

WillyB
Apr 13, 2001, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by WDL:
SU has some erratic bugs in it - additionally, I don't want a program automatically
loading updates into my Macs that I may not want or need.

WDL[/B]
In it's defense (however, I agree with searching VersionTracker, etc...) there is the optional checkbox in Software Update Control Panel that says 'Ask me before installing new software'.
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

Forum Links
Forum Rules