Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery exchange program

Battery exchange program
villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2006, 10:12 PM

As indicated on macintouch.com, there is a batter excahnge program for the MBP. Apple is pretty quiet about the reasons, but says this is not safety related.

https://support.apple.com/macbookpro...nge/index.html

weimings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 09:21 AM

Thanks. I've requested for my new battery.

playtech1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 05:06 PM

Spent 30 mins on the phone last Friday trying to convince an Apple rep. that I couldn't fix my battery swelling by resetting the PMU! Glad Apple has finally admitted the problem.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 05:15 PM

Why can't Apple ever make a battery that they have to recall?

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 08:40 AM

Battery swelling?? In fact my battery has a little 'give' in it. i.e. it can be slightly moved whilst it is in place. I did always that that the battery life was pretty crap. I think that is the sole reason for the recall.

leezer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:23 AM

Seems the range of batteries affected comes from after May as well
My UK machine was purchased mid-June, & has an affected battery.
Haven't seen any swelling etc. & the battery life is fine, but exchanging anway.

Also got the whine & nasty gappy bits at the edges of the LCD, but I'm sending those in for fixes ATM. (Maybe when the next model is announced)

-Leezer-

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2006, 01:26 AM

leezer3, you bought the machine in mid-June but it could be manufactured in May, thus the battery is in the recall range.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

leezer3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 06:00 AM

The whole thing is crazy
Analysis of the serial number:
Serial number: W8614******
Name: MacBook Pro
Model: Mxxxx MacBook Pro 2.0GHz
Bus speed: 667MHz
Screen size: 15 inch
Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)
Model introduced: 2006
Production year: 2006
Production week: 14 (April)
Production number: 7105 (within this week)
This was an online order, shipped from China as well.

-Leezer-

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 05:20 PM

My new battery arrived today, and after charging it up and running it for 2 hours, it looks like it can pull about 4 hours with Airport and Bluetooth turned on. I've been using the machine at pretty minimal load (basically just IRC, Adium, and the occasional page on Safari). Brightness turned up to max but it keeps dimming as I idle.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Turias
My new battery arrived today, and after charging it up and running it for 2 hours, it looks like it can pull about 4 hours with Airport and Bluetooth turned on. I've been using the machine at pretty minimal load (basically just IRC, Adium, and the occasional page on Safari). Brightness turned up to max but it keeps dimming as I idle.

I just received mine as well. It does not change the issue I had with the battery not being flush with the bottom of the laptop. There still is some play. I'll report back on the capacity.

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2006, 08:36 PM

What do you think will happen if you don't send your old battery back to apple?

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by kpne1home
What do you think will happen if you don't send your old battery back to apple?
It says in the package that they will charge you $121.19. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. Also, it is a discount of $7.81 over the price of a backup battery for the MBP on the Apple Store.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 02:04 AM

I keep getting this error... City, county, postal code mismatch.... even thjough it is entered correctly...anyone having this problem as well?
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 03:14 AM

They have to ask you to send it back in any event. Even if they just plan on throwing it in the trash.

If they wouldn't do that people would quickly figure out what symptoms to describe in order to get a second battery for free instead of paying for it at an Apple store. I'd assume they will actually charge your credit card for the battery if you don't send it in.
•

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
They have to ask you to send it back in any event. Even if they just plan on throwing it in the trash.

If they wouldn't do that people would quickly figure out what symptoms to describe in order to get a second battery for free instead of paying for it at an Apple store. I'd assume they will actually charge your credit card for the battery if you don't send it in.
I don't see how they could charge my credit card if I never bought something through them. I bought my computer through a retailer, not apple. I could use an extra battery too

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos
I just received mine as well. It does not change the issue I had with the battery not being flush with the bottom of the laptop. There still is some play. I'll report back on the capacity.
Strange that your battery doesn't flush with the bottom of your laptop. I've not had any issues with that. Sounds to me like something wrong with your case as opposed to your battery.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Turias
That's Great..i was lucky to get 2 hours with my battery. My order finally went through. Thanks to Villalobos for the heads up on this!

macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 04:39 PM

I just got my new battery too; anyone know if this new battery should be "calibrated" like the original one?
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 07:13 PM

All Laptop batteries should be calibrated. Even cell phones from what I hear...correct me if I am wrong.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2006, 09:21 PM

I got my new battery (took only 1 day) and don't see a damn bit of difference thus far.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 09:32 PM

i recieved a battery with damaged edges not being flushed but instead pointing up like if something bent them.

i paid 2000+ for this machine to recieve a used damaged battery?
wow i get better support and hardware exchange from hp and dell i cant believe this
premium pricing for mediocre suport.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2006, 07:43 AM

I don't see how they could charge my credit card if I never bought something through them. I bought my computer through a retailer, not apple. I could use an extra battery too
I don't think they will charge you but they do have your name, address, mbp serial number, and maybe your phone number and email. They could match that to a future recall or service issue and deny it. At the very least, Steve knows where you live and will come to your house to beat you up.

masugu
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 11:20 AM

Way back, they had a power supply exchange program for the PISMO G3. I never sent in my old pwer supply.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun
i recieved a battery with damaged edges not being flushed but instead pointing up like if something bent them.

i paid 2000+ for this machine to recieve a used damaged battery?
wow i get better support and hardware exchange from hp and dell i cant believe this
premium pricing for mediocre suport.
i think this community needs more information and maybe a picture before we should take this claim too seriously. if you bought a "new " cpu, then you would get a "new" battery. how about explaining what kind of support was mediocre. is this a replacement battery? does it work? i think a working battery that is never visible 'cuz its on the bottom is still a working battery. if in fact the battery is damaged. i would not bother to whine here. just send it back and ask for a better one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2006, 12:45 PM

That's why Apple will ask for a credit card number before they send you a replacement battery.
•

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2006, 03:04 PM

Well, I have mine being shipped to me as we speak...and they did not ask for a credit card...has anyone else had to provide a credit card to get their MBP mattery exchanged?

marissa
Aug 6, 2006, 03:15 PM

Personally I've never had to provide a credit card number for a replacement part. On the form attached to the box it states that you'll "be charged" if you fail to return the defective part. That could mean they'll send you an invoice or put a note on your apple history or something. Or perhaps if you already have a credit card on file with them, they'll automatically charge you that way.
macbook.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by macbuddha1
I just got my new battery too; anyone know if this new battery should be "calibrated" like the original one?
Then you probably didn't have the problem with your battery ... yet. Mine lasts for about 2 minutes before shutting down without warning. My battery capacity is 43mAh as opposed to 5500mAh that it was new - i.e. it's dead as a doornail!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2006, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by marissa
Or perhaps if you already have a credit card on file with them, they'll automatically charge you that way.
Of course if they already have your number (if you bought a Mac or AppleCare etc. from them they will already have it) they won't ask for it again.

Maybe the procedure also depends on where you are. In my experience in Europe they always want a valid credit card number before they send you a replacement part. It could be different in Asia or North America though.
•

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73
Well, I have mine being shipped to me as we speak...and they did not ask for a credit card...has anyone else had to provide a credit card to get their MBP mattery exchanged?
I wasn't asked for a credit card either. I used a credit card to buy my computer, but I don't think its legal for them to automatically charge you for something without you at least pre-authorizing a charge. Not sure though.

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 03:13 PM

I sent my MBP in for the whine fix and they also put a new battery in it even though I had already requested one. So now I've got 2 brand new batteries in my hand. I think I'm going to wait and see what happens if I don't send the other in.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 12:20 AM

Got my new battery today. I am calibrating it right now as we speak...when fully charged, and I yanked out the power adapter... it said I had 4.25 hours..... much better than my original. Yay!

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 12:22 AM

I am so considering keeping the extra battery.... but that is bad Kharma.... and we all cannot afford bad kharma.... so I will be sending it back to them...sigh, would be nice to have two batteries though...!

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 12:25 AM

That's Great..i was lucky to get 2 hours with my battery. My order finally went through. Thanks to Villalobos for the heads up on this!
so, only 2 hours on orig. better to just send it i think. better tho have 2 fulll power batteries, than 1 crippled and 1 good. i hate crippled batteries.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna
so, only 2 hours on orig. better to just send it i think. better tho have 2 fulll power batteries, than 1 crippled and 1 good. i hate crippled batteries.
Yes, plus.... I do not want Steve-O showing up at my house and giving me the business!

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 12:53 AM

Yes, plus.... I do not want Steve-O showing up at my house and giving me the business!
it would be fun to discuss with steve. but sadly, i think there would just be his minions there instead...

macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 01:13 AM

After some extensive use over the last couple of weeks, I can safely say that I am getting WAY more time out of the new battery! I was lucky to get 2+ hours out of the old one, and I just thought that was normal; this new battery has shown up to 6 hours available! That is when I am doing nothing, of course; anyway, I am regularly getting 3-4 hours out of the new one. Much improved!
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 08:13 PM

It's been 3 weeks since i asked for a replacement, but nothing has come. Guess I'll call them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
It's been 3 weeks since i asked for a replacement, but nothing has come. Guess I'll call them.
Do that. My replacement battery arrived at my doorstep within 3 days. Of course that was before they launched the 'official' recall program. But still, 3 weeks is a long time. At lest they can reassure you that they're on it and haven't 'lost' your case somewhere.
•

MickeyZ
Aug 21, 2006, 10:07 AM

Yes, you definitely should call them to check. I ordered mine through the Apple battery exchange webpage and they sent me a box to collect an iPod!!! :-) I had to call them and when they realized the mistake I got a new battery in 3 days.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 09:55 AM

Have any of you folks NOT returned the battery and NOT been hasseled yet?

bloodline
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 10:43 AM

I'm still trying to figure out HOW to return my old battery!

The new one came in a few days or requesting, but there was nothing else in the box, just a new battery.
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jvicinanza
Have any of you folks NOT returned the battery and NOT been hasseled yet?
A good friend of mine had a Lombard that had a problem with the DVD drive. They sent him a new one. It took him 6 weeks to ship the old one back. He got hit with a charge for the drive, which they reversed minus a 15% "restocking fee" when they got the drive.

People, it's not worth it to be deceitful and not send the defective battery back. First, even though the battery may look fine, something serious could happen. The Dell batteries "looked fine" before they blew up.

Second, even if they don't have your credit card, they can send you an invoice, and if you don't pay, they will refer you to a collection agency, and it may even go on your credit report.

Does anyone want to take that risk?

Earle22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bloodline
I'm still trying to figure out HOW to return my old battery!

The new one came in a few days or requesting, but there was nothing else in the box, just a new battery.
If you received your new battery via the official Apple Battery Replacement Program the top layer of the label on the box the new battery came in is removeable revealing the return label. There should have been a letter of instruction inside the box giving you a telephone number to call for a delivery service pickup for redelivery back to Apple. There is no charge for any of this.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Earle22
If you received your new battery via the official Apple Battery Replacement Program the top layer of the label on the box the new battery came in is removeable revealing the return label. There should have been a letter of instruction inside the box giving you a telephone number to call for a delivery service pickup for redelivery back to Apple. There is no charge for any of this.
??? I didn't check under the label!!! Aggh! I'll have a look tonight! <Panic>
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

ursus
Aug 31, 2006, 09:33 AM

Sigh... I went to the local Apple service center, hoping they would check my machine and send me off with a new battery. Instead, they wanted to keep my battery and then call me in 6 weeks to report whether a new one had arrived for me.

I use my PB every day and usually in a number of locations on the road. How does Apple suppose that I would accept being confined to my desk (or other socket-near location) for six weeks? If I could do that, I'd have bought an iMac.

Anyway, since I refused to hand in my battery, the service center personnel demanded that I put down in writing that I'd been warned about the risks of operating the PB with the existing battery. So I wrote some very ambiguous stuff that'd never hold up in a disagreement. But it made me think: am I more responsible for possible fires, explosions, whatever than if I hadn't gone to the service center?
Macbook C2D 2GHz, 2Gb, 160Gb.

kahuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ursus
Sigh... I went to the local Apple service center, hoping they would check my machine and send me off with a new battery. Instead, they wanted to keep my battery and then call me in 6 weeks to report whether a new one had arrived for me.

I use my PB every day and usually in a number of locations on the road. How does Apple suppose that I would accept being confined to my desk (or other socket-near location) for six weeks? If I could do that, I'd have bought an iMac.

Anyway, since I refused to hand in my battery, the service center personnel demanded that I put down in writing that I'd been warned about the risks of operating the PB with the existing battery. So I wrote some very ambiguous stuff that'd never hold up in a disagreement. But it made me think: am I more responsible for possible fires, explosions, whatever than if I hadn't gone to the service center?
sounds like more of a policy with the "service center" than with Apple. chances are they are not "owned" by Apple. you're in sweden? is there a retail store near you? did you have an option to request a battery via mail? here in the states the retail store will NOT do anything about your battery, rather it will refer you to the web for information.

ursus
Aug 31, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by kahuna
sounds like more of a policy with the "service center" than with Apple. chances are they are not "owned" by Apple. you're in sweden? is there a retail store near you? did you have an option to request a battery via mail? here in the states the retail store will NOT do anything about your battery, rather it will refer you to the web for information.
Actually, I'm in Shanghai. Should update my profile, perhaps.

True, they seem to be an independent firm. But Apple's web page states that customers in Asia should contact their local ASP to get a replacement battery, so I guess that's what I have to deal with.
Macbook C2D 2GHz, 2Gb, 160Gb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules