Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > is it safe to burn these?

is it safe to burn these?
posthumanus
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 03:43 AM

a short time ago i downloaded a small app called 'burn' which basically incinerates stuff instead of just trashing it.

burn seems to work fine but it shows up several files in my HD which aren't visable any other way - i'm guessing these are what's called invisable files - i'd like to know if it's safe to burn them (and if you can be bothered, what they are).

here's the list: Move&Rename / ApplesharePDS / DesktopDB / DesktopDF / DesktopPrintersDB / DummyDB.cwk / DummySS.cwk / DummyWP.cwk / OpenFolderListDF / Shutdown check / TheFindbyContent Folder / The VolumeSettingsFolder / VM Storage.

thanks in advance.

posthumanus.

mindwaves
Apr 14, 2001, 06:03 AM

The ones that have a .cwk extension are Appleworks 6.1 files (Mac OS X has added an extension to them). The Desktop files (all of them) are all hidden files and you shoud not delete them but I am not sure of a way to burn them. Hope that this helps!

Cipher13
Apr 14, 2001, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by posthumanus:
a short time ago i downloaded a small app called 'burn' which basically incinerates stuff instead of just trashing it.

burn seems to work fine but it shows up several files in my HD which aren't visable any other way - i'm guessing these are what's called invisable files - i'd like to know if it's safe to burn them (and if you can be bothered, what they are).

here's the list: Move&Rename / ApplesharePDS / DesktopDB / DesktopDF / DesktopPrintersDB / DummyDB.cwk / DummySS.cwk / DummyWP.cwk / OpenFolderListDF / Shutdown check / TheFindbyContent Folder / The VolumeSettingsFolder / VM Storage.

thanks in advance.

posthumanus.
Don't burn them. You can make them visible with Super ResEdit or any file utility - I recommend "Simple Browser".

VM Storage: Is the contents of your virtual memory file. DO NOT BURN.
Move&Rename: Can't remember, but don't get rid of it.
AppleSharePDS: If you run file sharing, don't get rid of it. It stores data for that. Otherwise, kill it.
DesktopDB and DF: Directory files, don't kill.
DesktopPrintersDS: Its the desktop printers data base. If you don't use desktop printing get rid of it.
DummyDB, SS, WP: Indeed, AppleWorks files. Templates? Autosaves? Make 'em visible and try to open it, but don't delete them.
OpenFolderListDF: Record of your open folders (including pop-up folders) for the next time you load the Finder. Don't delete, but its no real harm if you do I don't think.
Shutdown check: I think thats a third party thing, maybe - TechTool? Don't delete just in case.
TheFindByContent Folder: EVIL! BURN IT! It holds the Sherlock index files. I delete it - if you use Sherlock "Find By Content", don't delete it.
TheVolumeSettingsFolder: Not sure - Sherlock prefs? Or volume data prefs? Don't delete just in case.

HTH

------------------

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 06:37 AM

whew!

to think i was only a click away from nuking everything.

thanx.

Cipher13
Apr 14, 2001, 06:41 AM

Eh, if you nuke the dir files, just rebuild your desktop or something. Don't do it on purpose though

But, its always recoverable.

BTW, what vers of Burn do you have?

------------------

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2001, 07:03 AM

burn 2.5:

i write screenplays (none sold yet) and am constantly trashing complete drafts so i wanted that added security.

burn seems to work - everything i incinerate seems to vanish.

or am i wrong?

Cipher13
Apr 14, 2001, 07:08 AM

No, Burn is very good. Thats the same version I use.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules