Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DNS Server?

DNS Server?
tmikkelsen
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2001, 12:32 AM

I want to direct a domain to my computer with a cable line, but I need to setup a Domain Name server. Can anyone point me in the right direction on some info to do this or if it's simple tell me? Does AppleShare IP have the capabilities to do this?

Thanks
Thomas
Thomas
--
49,000 Units and counting...

blog.noetech.com

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2001, 06:05 PM

Surely there is somebody who can answer this question, i would like to know how to do this too. I can access my pages using: http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx (insert IP-Address) and would like to know how to redirect my domain name to the server.

------------------

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 12:04 AM

If you have a staic ip (same ip every time) you just need to tell your isp to "add" your domain to your ip. They might charge you extra, or not do it at all.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2001, 09:02 AM

If you have a static domain, you can use mydomain.com to redirect it.

------------------
MacVillage.net Owner/Webmaster
http://www.macvillage.net
Macintosh Portal
Email, Free Tech Support, Web Space, Search, Directory, and MUCH MORE!

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2001, 06:40 AM

First, you have to have a domain name to direct.

There are numerous domain registrars you can use to register your domain name... the hardest thing is likely to be finding a domain name that isn't already taken.

As part of the registration process, you will need to define the DNS servers that are authoritative for your domain... this is so that other DNS servers out there know who's responsible for all names in your domain. In almost all cases, the registrar will offer to host your domain name server for you if you don't want (or can't) do it yourself.
Also, note that you HAVE to have a DNS server defined when you register your domain. It may be easiest to have the registrar host your domain for now.. you can always change it later.

Also note that your authoritative DNS server MUST have a static IP address. You can NOT host an authoritative DNS server on a DHCP or PPP connection.

Once you have a domain registered, it's simple to add something like www.yourdomain.com to point to your own IP address. Note, though, that if your IP address changes, you'll have a hard time keeping the DNS server up to date.

If you do have a static IP address and want to host your own DNS, then I believe AppleShare IP does come with a DNS server that you can use. Alternative, QuickDNS Pro from Men and Mice offers more features and a much better interface.

You will probably also find that your ISP will also register a domain for you and maintain DNS pointing to your IP address. They may charge additional for this, though.

Some of the DNS registrars who offer DNS hosting include:

www.register.com
www.domaindirect.com
www.namesdirect.com
plus many others.

Finally, if you do have a dynamic IP address, you can use the services of someone like DynDNS to semi-automatically update your DNS entries every time your IP address changes. You assign them as authoritative for your domain, then run a progam on your machine to tell them what your IP address is each time it changes. They update their DNS tables to reflect your new address.

[This message has been edited by Camelot (edited 04-27-2001).]
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Sebastien
Apr 27, 2001, 02:24 PM

If you want just a simple 'alias' for a static IP, you can use a service such as dyndns.org, etc... which can give you a customized sub-domain attached to one of their domain names.

If you want a real DNS server (for traffic reasons), I recommend the suggestions above.

Seb

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2001, 10:43 AM

Camelot said:

"You can NOT host an authoritative DNS server on a DHCP"

I ask, why NOT? What is the reason for this, is it a technical reason or a marketing issue?

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules