Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Long Hair + Football

Long Hair + Football
Twinkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 09:05 PM

I'm trying to figure out how many NFL players there are that have/have had long hair out there. The coach at my school won't let me or my friend try out because we have long hair and he says we have to cut it. I know it's just hair, but i would still really like to keep it. Does anyone know any NFL players with long hair? If so please link a picture if you can find one. Thanks,

Twinkie

macfantn
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 09:24 PM

troy polamalu he has crazy long hair...

http://www.fanmonster.com/browns/sea...rs_9142415.jpg

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 09:26 PM

And the coach could boot you out after a couple of weeks if you weren't gelling with the team (or something). Result: haircut for nothing.
If you have long hair and like it, don't cut it for anyone. Only cut it when you feel like doing so.

I seem to remember lots of NFL players with long hair. Steelers rings a bell for some reason?

Anyways... ...your coach. Call him a pansie and then sack him.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:14 PM

Until you are in the NFL, just get your damn haircut. Arguing with pics will make you look like a non-team player. It's a test, a way to unite and make sure no one stands out and a way to make sure you can follow rules and WANT to play.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:17 PM

Besides a show of team unity, a lot of coaches just don't want hair obscuring players' numbers.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:22 PM

Here's our new fella

Oh, and another thing is safety in school, which is the player's problem in NFL.

MinM
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twinkie
I'm trying to figure out how many NFL players there are that have/have had long hair out there. The coach at my school won't let me or my friend try out because we have long hair and he says we have to cut it. I know it's just hair, but i would still really like to keep it. Does anyone know any NFL players with long hair? If so please link a picture if you can find one.
Just shove it all up under a skull cap or something.

KeriVit, did you see that Maroney has no eyebrows anymore? Apparently, to avoid the rookie haircut hazing, he had to give up the brows.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MinM
Just shove it all up under a skull cap or something.

KeriVit, did you see that Maroney has no eyebrows anymore? Apparently, to avoid the rookie haircut hazing, he had to give up the brows.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 10:56 PM

When I played baseball (American Legion - Montana has no high school baseball), we were required to have short cropped hair (not that it bothers me, I prefer it.)

A big part of the rule was that the coaches were trying to teach us to be better men. Not that having long hair means you can't be a good man, but they were trying to help us learn about business, presenting yourself in a way that is professional.

We were also required to wear slacks and a shirt and tie on gameday in to the stadium and post-game.

My take, if you want to play football, cut your hair. Hair grows back. But this is your chance to play football.

I didn't play football in high school, and I regret it to this day.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 09:16 PM

hey, my friend twinkie started this thread to help me. anyway, ya'll can say i'm not a team player if you want, but i like my hair and i want to keep it. the team sees me busting my at practice everyday, even if i suck, they know i'm doing my best and i think thats what being a team player means.

i could easily tuck my hair into my helmet without it slipping out. my coach told me if i had a problem with the rules to talk to the head/ senior caoch . thats why i asked twinkie to help me find info. to help my case. thnx for the help ya'll.

where can i purchase one of those "skull caps?"

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2006, 11:34 PM

Lupi -

I don't think the rule is about whether you can hide your long hair. Coaches are not there just about the games - they are trying to teach you about life.

Some employers will require you to get your hair cut. They'll require you can't have visible piercings or tattoos.

Your choices seem to be - cut your hair and play football, or don't cut it and don't play football.

Sorry to be a hardass, but that's life sometimes.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 09:39 PM

I had long hair my junior year during football season. I looked a little goofy and I eventually did cut it, but it wasn't becaused I was forced to.

Do you go to a private school? Or a catholic school? I could see them making rules about your appearance.

Anyway, the point is that having long hair had nothing to do with me failing to become a better man. I became better because of the hard work I put into playing sports (especially Football). It tought me that putting effort into something has its rewards. One of the best lessons I've ever learned.

...and I also wish I could go back and play one more time. So if your ONLY choice is short hair, buy some clippers....or isn't there some sort of team bonding ritual where they shave heads?

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Lupi -

I don't think the rule is about whether you can hide your long hair. Coaches are not there just about the games - they are trying to teach you about life.
Indeed. Beating your woman, driving gas guzzling SUVs, not using signals, watchin the game and getting plastered, etc. Football rocks.

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 09:56 PM

actually i go to a public school in granite city, illinois . i'm planning on taking this as far as i can before i give in, IF i give in. i know im missing the first game because of this, but i suck anyway. i'm trying my best, my hair doesn't get in the way of it, it doesn't even fall in my face. today we had another long haired player cut his hair and disprove the coaches hard headed theory . the coaches theory was that if we cut our hair we'd do better. bulls---. today was his worst practice yet. it all shows that the story of sampson and delighla(spelling?) to be true.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 09:58 PM

Mullets were popular in the 80s with the football players.

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 10:00 PM

Indeed. Beating your woman, driving gas guzzling SUVs, not using signals, watchin the game and getting plastered, etc. Football rocks.
you forgot about the steroids .

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 10:02 PM

mullets can't be worn either, i tried that as a comprimise. the hair can't go past the shoulder line, and bangs must be above the eyes. oh, i guess steroids were part of the etc.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dino-Rider
Nice stereotypes. But there are just as many good men who played football (lots more, actually) than bad guys.

Lupi - here's my advice in a nutshell. Take it or leave it.

If your hair is more important to you than playing football, don't cut it and don't play. If playing football is important to you at all, cut it. It's that simple. Rules are rules, whether they are right or wrong.

I'm 31, and, like I said, I still regret not playing high school football. I honestly think I could have been good enough to get a scholarship, based on my size and what the coaches told me in 8th grade (like that I was one of the best blockers they'd ever seen, etc.)

I love the game of football, but back then, I loved baseball more, and dedicated the off-season to practice and preparation for the next summer.

My loss.

If football is something you think is just a fun distraction, maybe just keep your hair and don't play. It's up to you.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 10:31 PM

Dude, honestly, **** it. Football is all about conformity anyways. Do it to fit in. Do it so you can be like Joe Blow America. Do it so your hair is the same length as everyone else. Do it so you can grow up to be some fat piece of **** in an SUV with football flags hanging out the windows and a football teame emblem on the trail hitch. It'll make you a better 'man'. Just avoid any desire to break away from the mold, and try to blend in.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 10:32 PM

I'm 31, and, like I said, I still regret not playing high school football. I honestly think I could have been good enough to get a scholarship, based on my size and what the coaches told me in 8th grade (like that I was one of the best blockers they'd ever seen, etc.)
Except you wouldn't have knees now.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 11:31 PM

Dude, honestly, **** it. Football is all about conformity anyways. Do it to fit in. Do it so you can be like Joe Blow America. Do it so your hair is the same length as everyone else. Do it so you can grow up to be some fat piece of **** in an SUV with football flags hanging out the windows and a football teame emblem on the trail hitch. It'll make you a better 'man'. Just avoid any desire to break away from the mold, and try to blend in.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 04:58 AM

Lupi dude, tell 'em you're a temporary Nazirite, on a vow. If they still won't let you play, sue them for religious discrimination. Win/win.

Nazirite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 05:45 AM

Does anyone else see the tragic irony in having a word for a devout Jew under an ascetic vow start with Nazi?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 10:16 AM

You could always go to the other extreme and shave your noggin.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 10:18 AM

I'm assuming that these are the words of Rob, it's hard to tell usually, until you get banned again.

Remember your thread about soccer and its superiority to American football? Remember how I completely tore your arguments to shreds?

Don't make me do it again.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 10:26 AM

Whatever dude. You live in a strange place.... but I can assure you that my high school's soccer team has a higher percentage of college graduates, better salaries, better families, and less white trash than the football team.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 10:36 AM

Whatever dude. You live in a strange place.... but I can assure you that my high school's soccer team has a higher percentage of college graduates, better salaries, better families, and less white trash than the football team.
The difference is, I haven't said that soccer players are <insert stereotype here.>

According to you, all football players and fans are beer swigging, wife beating, dumb assholes. Yet there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

And yes, Montana is a strange place.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 10:59 AM

Keep in mind that schools across America are scared shitless over liability concerns. And if your hair sticks out under your helmet, and someone tries to tackle you from the shoulders and grabs your hair instead, you could get seriously injured. And your school discrict will get sued by your health insurance company, even if you don't want it to. So, it might be a non-negotiable condition for playing.

Besides, suppose you convince the coach to let you play with your long hair. How do you think the guy a year ahead of you, who went through the same decision but cut his hair to play on the team, feels?

I am a long-haired, bearded, hippy-looking freak of nature. But if I were in your position, I'd shave it all off. Every single hair on my head. It'll grow back!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dork.
I am a long-haired, bearded, hippy-looking freak of nature. But if I were in your position, I'd shave it all off. Every single hair on my head. It'll grow back!
Eye brows, too. That's commitment.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 11:04 AM

The difference is, I haven't said that soccer players are <insert stereotype here.>

According to you, all football players and fans are beer swigging, wife beating, dumb assholes. Yet there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

And yes, Montana is a strange place.
So you don't have white trash with football **** all over their SUVs cruising around and they wear jersies every game day?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 12:23 PM

So you don't have white trash with football **** all over their SUVs cruising around and they wear jersies every game day?
I'm not getting in to this discussion again, Cash. And you shouldn't be so anxious to, either, considering you lost the first time.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 01:13 PM

All the huge SUVs around here all have soccer balls, announcing their kid's team name & player #. The term "Soccer mom" didn't just sprout out of nowhere.

On topic: Cripes, it's just a haircut. The sh*t will grow back.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
On topic: Cripes, it's just a haircut. The sh*t will grow back.

That's kind of why I suggested shaving it. Besides, shaving your head is fun and chicks dig it.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 01:42 PM

not if it is covered and scares and is deformed

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 06:13 PM

look ya'll, i see where your coming from with the cutting your hair thing, but the point to this thread was that i don't want it cut. i'm not truly asking for your opinions, more to the point that had twinkie come here and ask for you all to help me find information to support my argument.

as for the person who mentioned the guy who had to go through this the year before me, i say him. its not my fault if he didn't have the guts to stand up for what he believes in.

as far as for the liability issue, i can keep my hair secured under my helmet easily. it has never slipped out of it during practice.

the kid on our team who cut his hair yesturday to play says he regrets doing it, and i know for sure i would to.

anyway, thanks for the responses but i'm gonna go the whole 9 yards now. if, in the end, i can't get it changed i might consider cutting it, but untill i am 100% certain there is no other way, i will keep pursuing ways and angles to try an comprimise/ persuade them. i'm not the type of person to back down without a fight, and they're gonna get it full go.

oh, i've been trying to talk to the head coach and the athletic director, and every time i try to talk to them, the school secretaries say they're not there. anyone have any ideas how i could get in touch with them?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 06:25 PM

Lupi -

If long hair is something you "believe in" then go for broke.

I guess I've never been so attached to my hair to think I needed to make a big deal about whether I cut it or not.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by lupi
the kid on our team who cut his hair yesturday to play says he regrets doing it, and i know for sure i would to.
Don't do it then. I've got hair down my back and I've never cut it for anyone. And no regrets.

If you don't make the team (and you won't, because you're too rebellious for your mini-Hitler coach), go buy yourself a guitar and learn to play it. Equal chance of you making it big. And you'll get more chicks.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 09:59 PM

l
as for the person who mentioned the guy who had to go through this the year before me, i say him. its not my fault if he didn't have the guts to stand up for what he believes in.
If you need to believe in your hair, then think of this: Plenty of people believe in things that aren't true. Cut your hair off, then believe it's still long. Problem solved.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 10:21 PM

i don't have to believe in my hair, what i meant when i said that was that i believe i shouldn't have to cut my hair in order to play. and, like i mentioned earlier, one of the kids on the team already did that and the next practice he was awful.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 10:51 PM

i don't have to believe in my hair, what i meant when i said that was that i believe i shouldn't have to cut my hair in order to play. and, like i mentioned earlier, one of the kids on the team already did that and the next practice he was awful.
I was just going for a cheap laugh. I'm old enough that I've grown my hair down to the middle of my back, & cut it off at least 4 times now. It was a big deal when I was young, so I can relate. As I've grown older though, I've learned that image just isn't that important. You can be who you are, whether you look like Yul Brenner or Rapunzel. If football is really your passion, you'll do whatever you've got to do to follow it, including maybe changing the rules, but hey, if the attempt to reason is met with failure, why not think it over again. Priorities must be sorted.

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 08:01 AM

yea your right. if it's met with failure, i might think it over. but until then, im taking this as far as i can so there is absolutly no doubt that i could have changed it. the thing is, i don't really know if i truly like football. i mean its fun to play, but i know that i'm never gonna go pro. i'm missing todays game because of it, and i'm still unable to get in touch with any of the head caoches and athletic directers of my school. but i will keep trying.

sorry i had to ramble.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2006, 11:34 PM

look ya'll, i see where your coming from with the cutting your hair thing, but the point to this thread was that i don't want it cut. i'm not truly asking for your opinions, more to the point that had twinkie come here and ask for you all to help me find information to support my argument.
Fine then, here:

Gasitineau

Shockey

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 09:41 AM

thanks

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 12:25 PM

If you don't care about being on team enough to at least cut your hair to a certain point (if it's one of your coach's rules), you probably don't have enough respect for authority to follow the coach, and your coach probably knows that. Finding pictures of NFL players with long hair won't help your case. They're a mass of spoiled, drug-addicted millionaires. You're a high school student.

Cut your hair or don't play.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Finding pictures of NFL players with long hair won't help your case. They're a mass of spoiled, drug-addicted millionaires. You're a high school student.

Cut your hair or don't play.
I agree. I also seem to recall that by the end of last season, a lot of NFL people were talking about forcing players to cut their hair, both for safety and jersey readability reasons.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

finboy
Aug 27, 2006, 02:19 PM

actually i go to a public school in granite city, illinois . i'm planning on taking this as far as i can before i give in, IF i give in.
Meaning what? You're going to waste a bunch of time (yours and more importantly, everyone else's) arguing about this. Obviously, you're not one that coach will want on the team, regardless of how long your hair is. It's nice of you to let him know before wasting any more of his time.

Play, don't play. But don't b*tch because they have rules for those who play.

lupi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 10:21 PM

Meaning what? You're going to waste a bunch of time (yours and more importantly, everyone else's) arguing about this.
I don't consider this wasted time. I believe I should have all the rights the female students have. plain and simple. IF they don't have to cut there hair to play on a sports team, why should I have to. if you all think im wasting your time, dont post. that will cut down on your "wasted time".

I also seem to recall that by the end of last season, a lot of NFL people were talking about forcing players to cut their hair, both for safety and jersey readability reasons.
readiblilty and safety issues are not the problem. I tuck my hair into my helmet to avoid said issues. plus, we signed a waver saying that the school wasn't responsible for any injuries that we recieve.

I'm trying to comprimise with the coaches that I am practicing under. no use. I'm trying to talk to the head coach and athletic directors at my school, but they refuse to even see me. yet, my direct coaches tell me if i want the rule changed i have to talk to them about it.

any seggestions. i've sent them all emails already. waiting to see if i get a response.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2006, 11:38 PM

Get your body in there. Email is a wuss way out. Dress nice. Go to the office. Sit there and wait. Refuse to leave (calmly) until you at least get an appointment.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 29, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
If you don't make the team (and you won't, because you're too rebellious for your mini-Hitler coach), go buy yourself a guitar and learn to play it. Equal chance of you making it big. And you'll get more chicks.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2006, 10:46 AM

Lupi -

Good luck, but I'm afraid you will lose out to "the man." Girls don't have to cut their hair to play sports, but I bet they would if one tried out for the football team, right?

I'm afraid that you've got some harsh lessons to learn in your future. You'll have to wear a suit to work, cut your hair, stay clean shaven, not have visible tattoos or piercings, etc. in the "real world." That's the harsh reality.

Your generation is too used to standing there with your arms crossed, pounding your feet and getting your way. We don't want to hurt your feelings, after all. Infringe on your individuality. Lower your self-esteem. Blah blah blah.

It's really quite simple. Want to play? Cut it. Want to keep it? Don't play.

Unless you are the star player on the team, the coach could care less if you have an appointment with him to discuss things. He doesn't give a crap about your personal belief in hair length.

Forum Links
Forum Rules