Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Please Help, Multi Users Control Strip problem!!

Please Help, Multi Users Control Strip problem!!
JeremyS
Senior User
Apr 20, 2001, 06:07 PM

Hi I have my ibook setup for different members of my family and I am the admin.

When I log in the control strip starts up no prob, but when anyone else does it doesn't show up.

I have tried everything, like loggin in under one of the other users and setting the control strip to start up, then loggin out and back in and still nothing. Is there a way around this??

I tried using extension strip and that worked but it also crashed a couple times so I don't want to go that route.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2001, 06:23 PM

somewhere in your user settings, where you assign which apps will be available to other users..check those settings (control strip may not be checked...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Apr 20, 2001, 07:03 PM

That's not it as all the other users are Normal users, not limited. I did try putting them to limited users and checked the control strip and still didn't work, please anyone else??

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 03:09 AM

Anyone know how to fix this??

Cipher13
Apr 22, 2001, 05:04 AM

Try chucking the control strip prefs file from your user account into their respective prefs folders...

------------------

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 10:08 PM

Tried that and it still didn't work. This is on a 300mhz iBook, anyone else have this problem, or does it work for anyone using Multiple Users??

JH
Apr 23, 2001, 10:27 AM

Try downloading Macintosh Manager 1.4 from the Apple site, it corrects a number of issues in the Multiple users set-up - diplay settings, chooser etc

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2001, 05:43 AM

Hi all,

Unfortunately, this "shy" behaviour of the Control Strip (CS) is a known issue for non-Owner accounts in local Macintosh Manager (MM) / Multiple Users (MU) configurations. It has affected many of us since at least MM/MU 1.3, and it doesn't appear to have been fixed in the latest MM 1.4.1 update (nor the new subset MU 1.4.1 update mentioned today on MacNN). Some folks have switched to using third-party replacements such as Extensions Strip, or have elected to use the Control Strip's "hot-key" feature which at least allows quickly re-showing the CS.

For details, please see the related threads in this Forum -- e.g., the control strip not appearing on startup thread [which recommends the "hot-key" workaround, and also points to my old summary thread over in MacFixIt's TS Mac OS 9 Forum (unfortunately, that summary thread seems to have been deleted, although some of the referenced threads are still available in the now-defunct TS Mac OS 9.0.4 Forum, e.g., the �Lost� Control Strip - Multiple Users thread and the Multiple Users 1.3 and Internet Access thread], as well as the more-technical Multiple user problems thread. There are also several other related threads over in Apple's own Mac OS > Mac OS 9.0 - 9.1 Discussions > Multiple Users Forum (which requires login/registration).

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 04-26-2001).]

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 02:14 AM

Hey wouldn't a workaround for this to be to write an Applescript to show the control strip using the hot key and then place this script in the affected users startup folder??

If so can someone write one up and post it here?? I don't know how exactly.

Thanks!

Cipher13
Apr 30, 2001, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
Hey wouldn't a workaround for this to be to write an Applescript to show the control strip using the hot key and then place this script in the affected users startup folder??

If so can someone write one up and post it here?? I don't know how exactly.

Thanks!
I highly doubt that control panel is scriptable
I'll try though...

Wait, I just had an idea people - get the Control Strip Preferences file from the OWNER account, because it works, right? LOCK it and put it in the other users prefs folder!

Try it. Hope it works...

EDIT: AppleScript is a no go - try the other thing though.

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 04-30-2001).]

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 01:10 PM

I already tried the prefs thing, it doesn't work

Cipher13
May 1, 2001, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
I already tried the prefs thing, it doesn't work
Yeah, but did you lock them?
FULL lock?

Do a full lock, not just a Finder lock. Lock them with both lock flags with ResEdit... need to know how?

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

caifara
Forum Regular
May 1, 2001, 09:46 AM

hi,
I have the same problem on my imac, I just tried copying the prefs (locked), but it doesn't help.
more suggestions?

o, to avoid the problem I use taskmenubar, an excellent application!

-c
-c

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2001, 02:12 PM

Hi all,

Actually, it is possible to achieve remote-control of the Control Strip (CS) via various mechanisms. If you want to go the AppleScript route, there are at least two techniques you could use. The first involves completely restarting the CS Extension[this "extension" is actually a hybrid INIT + background-only app (BOA)], and the second involves simply reshowing the CS by using a scripting addition (OSAX) that can simulate keystrokes (to trigger the CS hotkey).

1). Restarting the CS via "pure" AppleScript
Code:
on run try -- Restart the Control Strip BOA, forcing it to acknowledge the current user�s -- 'Control Strip Preferences' prefs-file tell (application "Control Strip Extension") -- Quit the Control Strip BOA quit -- Pause briefly delay 1 -- Restart the Control Strip BOA launch run end tell on error errMsg number errNum display dialog ("Sorry, an error occurred!" & return & return & "(" & errNum & ") " & errMsg) � buttons {"Stop"} default button 1 with icon stop end try return end run
2. Reshowing the CS via a third-party OSAX
Code:
on run try -- Simulate pressing the (user-defined) hot key -- (This example assumes that the CS hotkey is 'Command-Control-C') -- NOTE: Requires either the Akua Sweets OSAX or the Sigma�s Additions OSAX --input state {keys down:"c", modifier keys:"C^"} -- Akua Sweets type text "c" holding down {command, control} -- Sigma's Additions on error errMsg number errNum display dialog ("Sorry, an error occurred!" & return & return & "(" & errNum & ") " & errMsg) � buttons {"Stop"} default button 1 with icon stop end try return end run
Several freeware OSAXen that can simulate keystrokes (including the abovementioned Akua Sweets and Sigma's Additions) are available at the usual MacScripter.net's Scripting Additions Library].

Regards, and good luck,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 05-03-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules