Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Control Strip oddity

Control Strip oddity
enduser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2001, 07:07 PM

I recently installed GoMac and since it has support for control strip modules I have migrated the once I use and turned off (hidden) the control strip. Well, at random points of the day the Control Strip (CS) reappers. I haven't been able to determine if a particular program forces it or what. I turned off the CS Control Panel in the Extensions manager but it still comes back. Any ideas?

Chris

------------------
Get a new outlook on tech support at Gibsonhax0r.net
Get a new outlook on tech support at Gibsonhax0r.net

reader50
Administrator
Apr 22, 2001, 03:08 AM

Changes made in the Extensions Manager do not take effect until after you reboot. If you really want to kill the Control Strip, disable the Control Strip (under Control Panels) and disable Control Strip Extension (under Extensions). Reboot for changes to take effect.

speramint0
Apr 22, 2001, 03:31 PM

I also have the same oddity, but usually what happens is i'll have the control strip enabled and it will disappear after doing something, I dont' know what though. Maybe we have some kind of conflict with extensions etc.

posthumanus
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 08:55 PM

the control strip will often disappear after using disk first aid. if anyone knows a fix for this, please let us know.

posthumanus.

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2001, 07:22 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to note that the Control Strip Extension (the companion to the Control Strip control panel) is a special kind of application which is always resident in the backround (even though it doesn't show up in the standard Application menu). As such, it will be quit by certain installers or utilities, such as Apple�s Disk First Aid in "Repair" mode; for better or worse, this is "normal" behaviour. (There�s also a separate issue with the Control Strip being incorrectly hidden for non-Owner users in Mac OS 9.x Multiple Users configurations, but that�s another story.)

[Just FYI, the responsibility of displaying the Control Strip's floating palette now primarily belongs to the Control Strip Extension (a combined INIT + "faceless background app" introduced in Mac OS 8.5+), rather than the Control Strip CP (which is now mostly just a GUI interface for setting Control Strip preferences). For details, please see the related threads in this Forum (e.g., the Another Control Strip Problem thread), or over in the MacFixIt's Troubleshooting Mac OS 9 Forum (e.g., the Lost the control strip thread), or Apple's TIL article (#30738) Mac OS 8.5: Control Strip - Under the Hood.]

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 04-26-2001).]

chitownbri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 03:55 PM

This would explain a dissappearing Contril Strip after a crash. The OS runs the disk first aid app during start up, subsequently disabling the strip.

Correct assumption?

Forum Links
Forum Rules