Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 and the wrong startup disk...

OS 9.1 and the wrong startup disk...
snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2001, 07:11 PM

I found out the hard way that the new control panel in 9.1 that selects the startup disk has some unfortunate quirks. I had just burned a CD in Toast that I *thought* was a valid startup disk and attemped to test it by selecting it as a startup disk in the control panel. VERY BAD IDEA. Previously if the startup CD was invalid, eventually the Mac would just try a hard drive. NO MORE. Also, once I had selected the system folder on the unbootable CD that was that - *any* other CD I tried to boot from just got ejected (since it was not the "right" startup volume). If I had a newer Mac I suppose I could have gotten somewhere with the Startup Manager, but on my Yikes G4 I was screwed. Had to force open firmware (command-option-O-F) and twiddle the pram with a set-defaults. I even zapped the PRAM just for good measure. The good news was I booted OK after that to my master IDE drive. The bad news was that I have the OS X beta and Mac OS 9.04 on that drive (with my main OS 9.1 volume on the slave IDE drive) and the machine default startup is then the Public Beta. Nothing wrong with that per se, but the OS X beta would no longer change startup disks (the Startup Disk control panel in OS X would crash on launch every time), I guess since OS X does not support my CDRW drive at all and the NVRAM was still pointing to a CD startup volume. OS X also no longer will change startup disks from Classic (the Startup Disk control panel for 9.04-and-the-public-beta no longer works in the Classic environment, and neither will the OS 9.1 control panel - especially since 9.1 and the public beta don't get along). The only way I could get back to 9.1 was to change my 9.1 drive to master and my OS X/9.04 drive to slave (in hardware).

bakrubman
Jan 22, 2001, 12:22 AM

I feel your pain, however, if you want to try out a cd to see if you can boot from it, you should hold down the letter "c" when the computer is starting up, and it will try to start from cd before the hard drive. If that cd won't work, then it defaults to hard drive without a problem and you don't have a problem with computer asking for the correct startup volume being a cd.

snodman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2001, 03:13 AM

Especially after today I absolutely, positively agree!

drfrank
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2001, 06:04 PM

I just burned a 9.1 start-up CD (using 9.1). When starting up, I just hold the "c" key down and the G4 starts up with no problem.

Frank

snodman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2001, 12:00 AM

Right, when *properly burned* there is no problem booting from a CD-R on a G4. Unfortunately I screwed up the CD-R so that even though it had a System Folder on it and the new Startup Disk control panel would select it as a boot volume, that CD-R was in fact not bootable and then I was in a world of hurt. Hence the warning to others - just hold down the C key on startup and if the candidate "bootable" CD-R doesn't boot don't think that trying to force it to boot with the control panel will help anything. Far from it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules