Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Where's the Disk?

Where's the Disk?
iKent
Jan 23, 2001, 11:34 AM

Having read some of the posts on 9.1, and since I use a dial-up connection, I decided it would be better to upgrade with the disk.

So I venture over to Apple.com to print the order form and pay my $19.95. The form says I have to provide proof of purchase of 9.0. But I upgraded to 9.0 from 8.6 through Mac up to Date. So I have no proof of purchase coupons. Remember, the website says that if you are using 9.0, you can get the CD for $19.95. Call the folks in Buffalo, who send me to Denver, who send me to Apple Customer Relations. All to learn that I'm not "entitled" to pay $19.95 for the disk because I'm an upgrade customer and never really "bought" 9.0. Still with me?

So I can get the 9.1 upgrade for free via download, but I can't pay $19.95 for the disk because I never really bought 9.0 in the first place.

What am I missing?

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 11:41 AM

You're joking....

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2001, 12:45 PM

You certainly did buy 9.0 when you got it through Mac up to date. Did you keep any of the paper trail (or email trail) from the Mac up to date upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0? Do you still have your 9.0 CD?

iKent  (op)
Jan 23, 2001, 02:21 PM

Yes, I still have the 9.0 CD, and as a matter of fact, the folks at Mac Up To Date, were able to find my 8.6 to 9.0 upgrade purchase in their system. But customer relations said no dice.

The 9.0 disk arrived back in '99 with no documentation or proof of purchase whatsover. So all I have is the disk.

Anyone have an extra 9.0 proof of purchase coupon to spare?

[This message has been edited by iKent (edited 01-23-2001).]

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2001, 02:59 PM

Actually, Mac-Up-To-Date states that it is only good for one iteration of an OS release, so if you used it once on that computer that is it. And it is only good for the next release, so if you bought a computer with 8.6 the only CD you can get with this program is 9.0.

It specifically says on the order form you get from Apple that the $19.95 offer is only good for OS 9.0-9.0.x to be upgraded to 9.1.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2001, 11:35 PM

I'm sure what happened is that the fools on the phone were trying to send you the WHOLE stand alone Mac OS 9.1 install CD. What you want (and they should have sold you) is the Mac OS 9.1 UPDATE CD. The update CD requires a previous version of Mac OS 9 in order to install, the stand alone CD does not (it will install 9.1 over *any* old Mac OS version or onto a new drive with no OS on it at all). Only the stand alone CD would have the weird restrictions that Apple was trying to apply to you. The update CD just sells for $19.95 period. You don't get (or need) any kind of discount from them for the update CD. THERE IS NO OTHER PRICE FOR IT AND THEY DON'T NEED A COUPON.

interactive_civilian
Jan 24, 2001, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by snodman:
I'm sure what happened is that the fools on the phone were trying to send you the WHOLE stand alone Mac OS 9.1 install CD. What you want (and they should have sold you) is the Mac OS 9.1 UPDATE CD. The update CD requires a previous version of Mac OS 9 in order to install, the stand alone CD does not (it will install 9.1 over *any* old Mac OS version or onto a new drive with no OS on it at all). Only the stand alone CD would have the weird restrictions that Apple was trying to apply to you. The update CD just sells for $19.95 period. You don't get (or need) any kind of discount from them for the update CD. THERE IS NO OTHER PRICE FOR IT AND THEY DON'T NEED A COUPON.
I hate to disagree, but this quote comes from one of the Mac OS Forum moderators over at discussion.info.apple.com:

"Yes, the Mac OS 9.1 CD which is priced at $19.95 for Mac OS 9 owners is the "full install" Mac OS 9.1 CD. It is the same Mac OS 9.1 CD which retails for $99. "

The full quote can be found in the "What's up with Language Kits?" thread in the MacOS 9.1 forum. It is an older thread, so you will probably have to run a search for it.

So, there isn't any difference in the CDs...It is just that OS 9.0 owners get a discount.

As for the situation described in this thread, I find it ridiculous that Apple is being this way. I hope things work out for you, iKent.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2001, 03:29 AM

Well, I just don't !@*$! believe it! On the Apple site it says that "You can update any version of Mac OS 9 to 9.1 with the OS 9.1 installer CD for $19.95" but in the .pdf document they give you all the bull#&$! about only selling to you if you bought a Mac with OS 9 preinstalled or you paid retail for OS 9. I have a Yikes G4 and this is the stupidest thing Apple has done since they tried to charge early purchasers of G4s full retail to update to OS 9 when it shipped 70 days after the first G4s shipped (trust me, you really don't want to run any G4 with Mac OS 8.6). When everybody raised hell, Apple backed down and reinstated Mac-up-to-date so we could get 9.0 for "only" $19.95. It is just a point release, why not make an update CD?

Forum Links
Forum Rules