Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple Drops X1900 Upgrade Price

Apple Drops X1900 Upgrade Price
Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2006, 12:28 PM

So Apple has dropped the price of the X1900 video card upgrade by $100 for both the CTO ($250) upgrade and stand-alone kit ($399). Is there some price protection offerred for those of us who are still awaiting shipment of our CTOs? My order has yet to reflect this price change. Would it be less of a headache to cancel and resubmit the order?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 12:38 PM

My seperate order for the card was updated to reflect the new price WOOHOO.
Michael

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

They changed the price on something that nobody will have for another month or two? That's kind of odd.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer

Check your order status, the price change should already be reflected. It did on my retail kit and I didn't make any phone calls.

Neo.cmg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2006, 12:44 PM

I've already stated in my original post that my order status page for my CTO order did not reflect the price change, thus my confusion.

Neo.cmg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2006, 12:46 PM

Now it does...must have jumped the gun.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg
Is there some price protection offerred for those of us who are still awaiting shipment of our CTOs? My order has yet to reflect this price change. Would it be less of a headache to cancel and resubmit the order?
Give Apple sales a call and politely and friendly ask them if they can modify your order with the new price. I don't know why people always come here and ask, it's Apple you have to ask. They'll more than likely modify the order without cancelling it. Cancelling an order means you'll go to the back of the queue, whereas modifying it usually keeps your place in the queue.

edit: I really should read the whole thread. I missed the last post where he says his order has already been updated.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

jedimstr
Aug 29, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
Give Apple sales a call and politely and friendly ask them if they can modify your order with the new price. I don't know why people always come here and ask, it's Apple you have to ask. They'll more than likely modify the order without cancelling it. Cancelling an order means you'll go to the back of the queue, whereas modifying it usually keeps your place in the queue.

edit: I really should read the whole thread. I missed the last post where he says his order has already been updated.
I'm wondering if this means our long delayed orders are about to be fulfillled/built/shipped.

Or is this something to make us more amiable to an added delay that will soon surface, "We're sorry to inform you, blah blah blah?"
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 01:48 PM

FYI: That signature is far too large for these forums.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jedimstr
Aug 29, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
FYI: That signature is far too large for these forums.
Sorry, been using that sig for so long in the Team MacNN section. Didn't notice the revised rules posted earlier this month as a sticky.

BTW- received an official email telling me that the price was adjusted on my order. Still wondering if we are going to get some good news soon about shipping dates or if this was just something to soften the blow of bad news.
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 02:42 PM

They probably just noticed the price was a complete ripoff and decided to have some mercy. Shipping times still look like late September.
Chuck
___

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
They changed the price on something that nobody will have for another month or two? That's kind of odd.
not really that odd.....small item retail is all about volume!

Now that ATI knows that they will be selling a boatload more of the cards than they originally planned on, they obviously decided to give apple a better price, and apple was smart enough to pass that savings on to it's customers

Good move, Apple !

Add to that the announcement of the 1950, which apparently will debut at around the same price as the 1900 did originally, and you have a proper set of varying price points.........
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Oversoul
Senior User
Aug 29, 2006, 04:10 PM

The price drop might have something to do with the release of the X1950 cards and that its release has made our X1900 cards "obsolete" before Apple even shipped them.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
not really that odd.....small item retail is all about volume!

Now that ATI knows that they will be selling a boatload more of the cards than they originally planned on, they obviously decided to give apple a better price, and apple was smart enough to pass that savings on to it's customers

Good move, Apple !

Add to that the announcement of the 1950, which apparently will debut at around the same price as the 1900 did originally, and you have a proper set of varying price points.........
Makes sense to me. The drop in price has me thinking seriously about upgrading the card at the start rather than waiting.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2006, 11:30 PM

I just wish that either the X1900 or 7300GT supported display rotation. I use the ATI VersaVision feature all the time on both my G5 and on my MacBook Pro, and as of present, display rotation cannot be done on the Mac Pro at any price.

[Ellen Feiss] Kind of a bummer. [/Ellen Feiss]


Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I just wish that either the X1900 or 7300GT supported display rotation. I use the ATI VersaVision feature all the time on both my G5 and on my MacBook Pro, and as of present, display rotation cannot be done on the Mac Pro at any price.

[Ellen Feiss] Kind of a bummer. [/Ellen Feiss]
Doesn't MacOS X support display rotation for the Radeon X1900XT? MacOS X has built-in support for display rotation on most higher end Radeons.

I can see ATI's Display control panel not supporting the Radeon X1900XT for a few months, as ATI doesn't update it unless it updates it for one of it's retail cards, but Apple should have updated the MacOS X feature with the Radeon X1900XT.
MacBook Pro

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard
Doesn't MacOS X support display rotation for the Radeon X1900XT? MacOS X has built-in support for display rotation on most higher end Radeons.

I can see ATI's Display control panel not supporting the Radeon X1900XT for a few months, as ATI doesn't update it unless it updates it for one of it's retail cards, but Apple should have updated the MacOS X feature with the Radeon X1900XT.
Don't recall exactly where I read it, but I've seen several posts to the effect of no screen rotation for the X1900. And Apple's nVidia drivers don't support it either (but why I don't know; its available on Windows machines).


MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 01:37 PM

Apple, you tempt me so....

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Don't recall exactly where I read it, but I've seen several posts to the effect of no screen rotation for the X1900. And Apple's nVidia drivers don't support it either (but why I don't know; its available on Windows machines).
Yeah, I knew about it not being supported on Geforce cards.

Apple really needs a Third party vendor to provide Geforce cards and drivers. I don't know who creates the current OEM Geforce cards and drivers Apple uses in Macs. Some say it's Apple. I don't think Apple has the time to spend on Graphics cards and drivers. Just like Apple gets their OEM ATI cards and drivers from ATI.
MacBook Pro

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 04:53 PM

As mentioned ATI does do the OEM drivers for OS X. My understanding in regards to the GeForce cards is that NVIDIA did the OS 9 drivers while Apple did the OS X drivers (why that split, I can't say for sure). Their code is based on source NVIDIA provides to them . Most recently, NVIDIA has been ramping up their own team for OS X support. I'm pretty sure I got that info from the Apple OpenGL mailing list a couple of years ago and from the AYM forums from someone that would actually know.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 06:15 PM

Do you guys actually think that the X1900XT won't ship until the end of september?

mr. mister
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 09:02 AM

Why should I doubt that when Apple has said nothing to the contrary.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 12:50 PM

Well that's why I took that card out of my computer, and ordered the upgrade kit seperately .

derekn
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 01:48 PM

The earliest date I've seen is September 12th for an X1900 system, from one of the users at the Apple forums. So hopefully we'll know more in about 11 days.

k2director
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 03:07 PM

Ugh, my date is Setp 25! An Apple rep had told me two weeks ago that the 1900x were ready to ship, but now I'm beginning to wonder...

derekn
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 04:01 PM

I remember that, you interviewed the MacPro product manager right? If you have his number, do some yelling for the sake of all of us waiting for our X1900s. Apple does realize we're trying to GIVE them our money right? LOL

But yeah it's hard to say. One member at the macrumors forums called and a store rep told him that the ATi card itself wasn't the delay but that there were just so many BTO's to fill. Given the number of different stories told though, the store reps credibility seems to be marginal at best. If the above story were true, there'd be some X1900 systems out right now, I haven't seen or heard of one yet. Well sort of scratch that, another user at the Apple forums said he called the San Franciso Apple Store and they mentioned having an "Ultimate" MacPro system with a 3Ghz setup, 2 GB of RAM and an X1900. They had only gotten one in stock at that point which had sold out immediately. But again, that was just one user posting this, so who knows if there was any credibility to it.

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 05:24 PM

I can say that there was talk of an "Ultimate" system at the Apple Store San Francisco. About five days after the Mac Pro announcement, I was at the Apple Store in SF and talked to an Apple sales floor guy, who said that they had the standard 2.66s in stock and that they would get Ultimate configurations at some point. Though, he didn't know whether the Ultimate would have the X1900 or when they would be available.

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 05:25 PM

My ship date is Sept. 12, but nothing yet. I can still cancel the order if I want, so it's not even close to shipping.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 06:46 PM

The X1900XT upgrade kit costs $400.

Adding a second 7300GT into the computer costs an extra $150.

Upgrading the video card in the computer to a X1900XT costs an extra $250.

$250 + $150 = $400.

I don't feel cheated at all by buying the upgrade kit seperatly. I'm paying an extra $150 for the 7300GT, and that's how much apple thinks it's worth.

mr. mister
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 11:42 AM

It's funny cuz they're overcharging you $100 on the 7300 to start with, and then another $100 overcharged on the card.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mr. mister
It's funny cuz they're overcharging you $100 on the 7300 to start with, and then another $100 overcharged on the card.
Are you saying that the 7300GT is worth $50? and the X1900XT is worth $150???

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mr. mister
They're charging about an $80 premium on both cards. $150 for the 7300GT vs $70 on the street and $400 for the X1900XT vs $320 on the street. Not overcharging by $100 twice for the X1900XT by any stretch of the imagination.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2006, 02:19 PM

I think he was saying that if you get a Mac Pro with a 7300GT and then buy an X1900XT upgrade kit separately, you get the Apple Tax twice.
Chuck
___

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 02:27 PM

I think he was saying that if you get a Mac Pro with a 7300GT and then buy an X1900XT upgrade kit separately, you get the Apple Tax twice.
Well I like the idea of having a solid, quiet, small video card as a backup in case the X1900XT goes kablooey, with all it's fans, and it's giantness, and it's "taking forever to get to the macness", and stuff.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 03:28 PM

And I'm pointing out that's not true. The upgrade price at the Apple Store ($250) is about the same as the difference in street price.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2006, 04:02 PM

The price of the upgrade kit is not $250. It is $400.
Chuck
___

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 04:05 PM

The price of the upgrade kit is not $250. It is $400.
I was refering to the CTO upgrade at the Apple Store, not the seperate part.

$250 CTO upgrade at the Apple Store vs $250 price difference on the street.
$400 at Apple for the card vs $320 for the PC version on the street.
Not a double $100 Apple Tax.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I was refering to the CTO upgrade at the Apple Store, not the seperate part.
I know. And I was trying to explain that the person you were "correcting" was referring to the separate part. He was talking about Macgeek's decision to buy the Mac Pro and an upgrade kit so he could have the computer now and upgrade when the video card was ready.
Chuck
___

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2006, 05:31 PM

But macgeek can still sell the 7300GT for a price premium when that time comes, so he can pass that Apple tax along to the next person.

Forum Links
Forum Rules