Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Command-Double Yue

Command-Double Yue
Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2000, 07:20 AM

Strange problem here that cropped up yesterday. Sometimes when I hit command-W the Mac registers it as having been hit twice and closes two windows instead of just the one in the foreground, which can really be a hassle in web browsers and the likes.

Now I'm sure everyone is thinking that it's because I'm holding down the W key too long, but trust me, I'm not. This happens in applications that don't even register a held-down command key as more than one action (closing the foreground window in this case). It's also sporadic.

I'm running a standard System Folder, nothing out of the norm. I haven't yet ran a virus checker but I doubt I have one. Could be a problematic keyboard (FireWire PowerBook) Can anyone offer any insight?

namannik
Senior User
Apr 24, 2000, 02:35 PM

Possibly something physically wrong with the key that makes the computer think the key is being pressed repeatedly?

P.S.- What happens when you turn off the key repeat and then hold the key down in a text document?

[This message has been edited by namannik (edited 04-24-2000).]

Joey
Apr 24, 2000, 04:11 PM

Your web broswer may be "interrupting" the keystroke. Y'know how they pause your system for a second when they load an applet or something? Maybe it thinks that you've pressed the key combo before and after that event. Just a thought?!

Misha  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2000, 08:39 AM

I think I figured out the problem, it was the CopyPaste extension that was causing these problems. I disabled it and all is well again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules