Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM
narcissus
Apr 24, 2000, 06:56 PM

I have a dvd-ram drive built into my G4 and I am wondering if there is any way to speed it up.... I read in a Mag that the driver that Apple gives it causes it to write slower than it should.... somrething about "writing speeds" Who knows about this?? And can you give me help or tell me where I can find the recources to find the answers for myself Pre-Thanks..
Do or do not.... there is NO try.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2000, 09:15 PM

I read this article too. It suggested getting an application like Software Architects DVD-RAM Tuneup. I have a G4 with DVD-RAM but I am not buying this, as for me DVD-RAM is used (mostly) for backups, which are done when the computer is not in use.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

narcissus  (op)
Apr 24, 2000, 10:04 PM

Maybe I am not so firmiliar with backing files up in an efficient mannor. What is your technique?

Cipher13
Apr 25, 2000, 01:45 AM

The most efficient way to back up your data is to use the scheduler built into the Mac OS to startup your computer sometime when you won't be needing it, like at night or when you're at work or school, and then have an AppleScript or something similar in the startup items that will execute an instruction to backup the HD (providing the app used with the DVD-RAM is scriptable), and then have it shut down when finished. Have a script in the shutdown items that deletes the script in the startup items so it doesn't try to do it again when you startup next. Or hold shift after your extensions have loaded to bypass startup items.
I do this with my CD Burner and it really saves time, by just having it done when I get home (even though burning a CD at 8 speed only takes 10 mins).
I have been thinking about getting a G4, and I was wondering if it was worth getting a DVD-RAM for an extra $725 (Australian dollars). What do you think? Can DVD-RAM discs be used in ALL DVD drives?
I know that all Apple DVD drives can, because they advertise it - "can read DVD-ROM, CD, DVD-RAM discs". That leads me to believe its a special feature - is it?
Hypothetically, can I copy a DVD movie and then play it in my DVD player, or even the G4's player? My DVD's seem to get scratched rather easily....
Hope you find that helpful, and TIA for the DVD-RAM advice...

Cipher13

narcissus  (op)
Apr 25, 2000, 01:52 PM

I do not think that you can burn a DVD. The DVD-RAM on the new G4 is mainly for backup as far as I can tell. The disks come in a cartridge. (looks like a gient floppy) They are a bit costly as well ($40 U.S.) for a 5.2 meg. disk... I use it to back up my C drive once a week. I takes obout an hour. I do like it... I have never had so much storage on one disk. As far as I can tell there are stil some quarks in the whole thing. Apples driver that they use seems to cause it to take much longer than it should. The driver for it writes in 5 meg. incriments and the burner writes in 2 meg. so it end up slowing down to acomadate the differance. That is about all that I know right now... I hope that it helped.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2000, 04:26 PM

C drive? I hope you mean your VPC C drive...

But anyways, it can (sort of) make DVDs. Most single sided DVD-RAMs can be removed from their cartridges (Type II IIRC). These can then be put in newer third generation DVD-ROM drives, such as the ones in newer G3s and G4s. There is a TIL article about this, search and see if you can find it.

However, unless you are using a special Linux program, you can't copy DVD movies. And if you do, you probably won't be able to put them onto a format readable by a DVD Player because DVD-RAMs hold less data than regular DVDs.

For backup, I usually have my computer scheduled (using a program called T-Minus Ten available at VersionTracker) to run SimpleBackup (also at VersionTracker, it's a smart backup app in the sense that it only copies changed files) to copy files to DVD-RAM while I am not using my computer (for example, when I am at school).

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

[This message has been edited by Simon Kornblith (edited 04-25-2000).]

narcissus  (op)
Apr 26, 2000, 03:07 AM

OOPS! PC talk for hard drive.. sorry to let that slip. Thanks for the tips....

Cipher13
Apr 26, 2000, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info - I think I'll stick with my burner and wait for DVD-R and DVD-RW's before I get one... (I've heard of those anyway...)

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 04-26-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules