Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Defrag The Hard Drive...

Defrag The Hard Drive...
iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2000, 01:14 PM

Is there a program that I can get for my iMac that will defrag the HD? 'Cause if I can remember correctly, my iMac was very fast when I first got it, and now it's only a little fast. Thanks!

------------------
-- iPond317
All hail iMac DV
G4 Performance Leader
iBook #1 consumer laptop
Mac OS 9: Your Internet co-pilot
Power Mac G4 considered "super computer"
Think different.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

sblunden
Apr 19, 2000, 01:26 PM

Norton Utilities can.

You may see improved performance by rebuilding your desktop and zapping your pram also.

------------------
- s p e n c e r
- s p e n c e r

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2000, 01:29 PM

Tech Tool Pro will also defrag (optimize) your drive. TTP has more diagnostic tests than Norton, and rumor has it that the next version will also include virus protection.

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2000, 01:38 PM

Are there any shareware/freeware apps that I can download? I don't want to spend money on a utility program. But, I'll try the PRAM and rebuild the desktop.

------------------
-- iPond317
All hail iMac DV
G4 Performance Leader
iBook #1 consumer laptop
Mac OS 9: Your Internet co-pilot
Power Mac G4 considered "super computer"
Think different.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2000, 02:31 PM

for optimization (defragging HD), no freeware...

imnsho 'must have' utils: DiskWarrior, Norton Util's (but do a custom install and only install Disk Doctor and Speed Disk) and TechTool 1.2.1 freeware to rebuild desktop and zap PRAM

i think TechToolPro is fine and has many features, more than Norton Util's... but most users never use all the features of TechTool as they are somewhat extraneous and esoteric

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2000, 04:39 PM

IF YOU USE VIRTUAL PC OR HAVE LARGE DISK IMAGES, DO NOT USE TTP! It will take a few weeks to finish (literally)

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

WL2100
Apr 20, 2000, 04:41 AM

Most of the software manu. have demo. periods so that you can try before you buy.

------------------
!ooW �)
!ooW �)

jbmelby
Apr 21, 2000, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Simon Kornblith:
IF YOU USE VIRTUAL PC OR HAVE LARGE DISK IMAGES, DO NOT USE TTP! It will take a few weeks to finish (literally)

Not if you have enough contiguous free space on your volume for TTP to move the files around. I use Virtual PC 3.0 with four different PC disk images, each over 1 GB in size, and I can routinely optimize the volume containing the images with no problem whatever. (However, this requires a fairly large volume with a substantial amount of free space on it.)

Also, TTP has one very useful feature: If you find yourself in a situation in which you are optimizing the volume with TTP and it's obvious that it's taking more time than you can afford to give it, you can stop the optimization without screwing up your drive, and you can resume it later.

Forrest
Apr 22, 2000, 01:30 PM

Unless you're editing video or audio or working with large Photoshop images, there's really no reason to defragment the hard drive IMHO. I've used computers that have run for more than 10 years without ever defragmenting the hard drive and no loss in performance.

Something else must be slowing down your computer. Use the Extension Manager control panel and select MacOS Base extensions and reboot. If the computer feels faster, then there's some extension, control panel or other program that's the cause of the slowdown.

Forum Links
Forum Rules