Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto Image resizing

iPhoto Image resizing
thursdaythrice
Sep 4, 2006, 08:51 PM

Recently for the summer i went to europe and i took over 600 pictures, so i got a .mac account and starting putting the pictures zipped onto idisk and sent them to my PC for my parents to have and look at (i have a macbook). All of the pictures turned out to be very small and not very low quality...does this have something to do with my prefrences on iPhoto, or maybe something with zipped folders....Does anyone know?

thanks alot
mateo

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 10:14 PM

From what you are saying one can not really tell what the problem actually is. "very small and not very low quality" is quite vague. Some things:

a) ZIP is a lossless compression format. It changes the data (any data) not at all, so it's not the reason for any possible issue.
b) JPEG images are already (lossily) compressed and you don't save much space by compressing them again as ZIP. You can probably save your parents the hassle of decompressing the pictures.
c) If you used drag & drop to drag images out of iPhoto the retain the original dimensions. If you use the Export command they'll have the maximum dimensions specified in the Export dialog. You know what you did.
d) A picture taken by a digital camera does have pixel dimensions (the "Megapixels" of the camera), but it doesn't really have a resolution. Nevertheless digital cameras assign a resolution to their pictures to achieve a reasonable output size when the picture is printed. This resolution is might be 180 or 300 ppi or something else. It's rather arbitrary. But it is usually a higher resolution than the assumed (72 ppi) or actual (around 100 ppi) resolution of a computer monitor. If the display software that your parents use respects this resolution then the pictures would appear smaller on screen at "original size" than when displayed at 72 ppi. But they could still zoom in and see more detail. This might explain the "small but not very low quality" effect they are seeing.
e) You could try providing the pictures as Photocasts to your parents. They would be able to view them in a web browser (all of which ignore image resolutions).

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 12:13 AM

To add a thing to TETENALs list
f) Have you set your cameras settings correct? If your camera is set to take pictures in low resolution, this could be the answer...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2006, 03:23 PM

* bump *

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 07:03 PM

Did you bump this for a reason? It looked like the question was answered. If not, can you be more specific about the issues?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 07:23 PM

I think the original poster missed that there is an answer to his question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules