Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Drive order

OS 9 Drive order
ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 09:31 PM

Okay... weird question. Does the finder list hard drives in alphabetical order???

I've got a G4 with two internal hard drives. The first has two partions: one with OS 9.2 and the other with OS X .1. The second drive has three partitions, all for captured video. So I have a total of 5 drive icons on my desktop.

My problem is that the finder lists them out of order. The second partition of the first drive shows up fourth even though it's name is alphabetically second. It's not a big deal, but it gets confusing when I'm looking for stuff. Any suggestions???

Thanks.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2001, 03:16 AM

View -> View Options -> Keep Arranged (By Name)

But that will do all files by name.

It places them in the order it mounts them...

I suggest name all HD's with an identical prefix and then their name so that they will line up alphabetically.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>View -&gt; View Options -&gt; Keep Arranged (By Name)

But that will do all files by name.

It places them in the order it mounts them...

I suggest name all HD's with an identical prefix and then their name so that they will line up alphabetically.</STRONG>
Cipher, you should know better than this! On the desktop, the finder will always display volumes first, then printers, then finally files and folders sorted accordingly, whenever "keep arranged by" is checked.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Cipher13
Oct 10, 2001, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by tonton:
<STRONG>

Cipher, you should know better than this! On the desktop, the finder will always display volumes first, then printers, then finally files and folders sorted accordingly, whenever "keep arranged by" is checked.</STRONG>
Only if "kept arrange by name", no?

Thing is, when I have files in the drives default spaces, the drives get pushed away...

I guess it depends on your settings... *sigh*

Forum Links
Forum Rules