Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buzz off, Goatee

Buzz off, Goatee
DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 03:07 PM

So today I buzzed and shaved my face clean, after years of the goateed look. My wife has wanted me to do it for the longest. Now she can't stop smiling at me! I have to admit, I sure do look different. What a shock to see the old face under there!

I've heard stories of children freaking at the sight of their dad's clean-shaven mug after years of fur-faced fatherly familiarity. As I write this, I'm waiting for my 5-year old (five and a half as she'd remind you!) to arrive home from first day of school. I'm not sure whether she'll like the new, younger looking and more handsome (wife's opinion! ) dad or pine for the old. Will she laugh or cry?

Any of you guys have some beard losing experiences of note to pass along here? Is it high time we lost the beards?

edit: Should've posted in the Lounge
( Last edited by DBursey; Sep 5, 2006 at 03:21 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 03:43 PM

I'd say do what you think is best. Your daughter will adjust. I can remember a certain amount of shock when I first saw my dad without his mustache. It will be a bit of a shock to her at first, sure. But your daughter may even like you better without it because facial hair can tickle. If your wife is upbeat about the change, I bet she will be, too.

When I have a wife and kids (hopefully), they'll have to get used to my lazy shaving habits. Unless my wife protests, that is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 03:53 PM

Thread is worthless without before and after pix!!!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 04:24 PM

I shaved my peach fuzz mustache off once, I was in total shock of how white the skin above my lip was.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 04:31 PM

My facial hair is constantly changing, so it doesn't really shock people anymore. I usually grow it our for about a month or two then shave it all off.

Sometimes I'll groom it into some other shape, but usually I just grow it out 100% naturally (no grooming whatsoever).

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2006, 05:00 PM

My dad has always had a beard, and when he first shaved it (I was like two at the time) I was scared of him. Even worse, a couple years later both my parents had all their teeth pulled at the same time. Their faces were apparently GINORMOUS and my eleven-year-old sister had to take care of me until the swelling went down. Any time they came near me I screamed.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 05:04 PM

My sister hates it when I grow my goatee out, I usually try to stay clean-shaven for her.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
My sister hates it when I grow my goatee out, I usually try to stay clean-shaven for her.
[Insert incestuous joke here]

finboy
Sep 5, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey
So today I buzzed and shaved my face clean, after years of the goateed look. My wife has wanted me to do it for the longest. Now she can't stop smiling at me! I have to admit, I sure do look different. What a shock to see the old face under there!

I've heard stories of children freaking at the sight of their dad's clean-shaven mug after years of fur-faced fatherly familiarity. As I write this, I'm waiting for my 5-year old (five and a half as she'd remind you!) to arrive home from first day of school. I'm not sure whether she'll like the new, younger looking and more handsome (wife's opinion! ) dad or pine for the old. Will she laugh or cry?

Any of you guys have some beard losing experiences of note to pass along here? Is it high time we lost the beards?

edit: Should've posted in the Lounge
I did this with my son after he was 8 months old and had only seen me for extended vacations at that time. He learned early to play with Daddy's beard, and now he still does (although it only grows out to the end of the day). He calls it scratchy. One of his first words, when he was really little.

He didn't seem to mind the shave.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 05:36 PM

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
(Chafes her thighs)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 05:39 PM

i shaved mine off when i was with danielle. she reminded me daily just how slack jawed i looked until it grew back.

she never knew i had a cleft chin until i shaved either.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 05:43 PM

This thread is now about your strange relationship to your dominatrix sister.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 05:53 PM

This thread is teh funny.

DTM has a cleft chin? Scary.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 06:12 PM

Man, I read that as "Buzz off, "goat-sea" (Stupid keyword filter.)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
This thread is teh funny.

DTM has a cleft chin? Scary.
think it as a korean butt chin, as opposed to a puerto rican butt chin. it's subtle, more of a dimple even.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2006, 06:39 PM

River: If the snow on the roof is too heavy, you see, the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger.
Book: River, please, why don't you come on out?
River: No! Can't. Too much hair.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2006, 06:45 PM

My parents tell me when my dad shaved his mustache for police academy I rolled onto the floor laughing (I was 5). So you never know how a kid will react until they do.

HMD

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by demograph68
This thread is now about your strange relationship to your dominatrix sister.
We're close (she's two years younger) and she likes when she gets to come and hang out with me (at college!!) and we have fun. She actually a cool sister...she likes driving fast and video games. She my personal fashion consultant and she says I look like a dirtball if I let my goatee grow.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 07:39 PM

Does she reciprocate?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Does she reciprocate?
That may be the most horrible thing I've read on here.

Therefore, it is both the most clever, and humorous as well.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 08:35 PM

I start growing a beard around October/November and keep it until around April/May. When I shave the beard, I keep a goatee. I do this every year to keep my face warm in the Winter.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2006, 08:54 AM

I've never worn a goatee-partly because so many other people do. I see far too many "men" who "shave" only to go through the motions, and their 1/2" of chin fuzz is the product of about six months of effort... This sort of guy really makes the goatee itself look pretty lame (not to mention himself).

I've had a full beard since late October 2004-the last time I shaved my whole face was the morning of my Air Force retirement ceremony. I've adjusted the shape of the beard, but mostly I keep in in the "full" range. I do trim it short, especially in the summer, but I keep the coverage pretty consistent.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Thread is worthless without before and after pix!!!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 09:57 AM

I had a goatee since, oh, around 1995 or so. I decided to shave it once, and did not like the way my face looked at all, so I let it grow back. Then when my daughter was born and I went a week and a half without shaving, I decided to let it grow full, where it's been ever since. She may never see my chin again!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
The funny thing is that I don't have any recent photos of me. Plenty of "before" pix, but no current ones.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 06:47 PM

My buddy shaved his goatee while on vacation once, he came back to work and was clean-shaven. I tried to compliment, like- hey cool. Cuz it looks wierd. But not bad. My co-worker looks at him and says "OMG, what did you do?!?!?"

He grew it back asap.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 03:15 AM

I first grew facial hair in 1992 and had some form or another until a few months ago (usually the reliable goat, but ocassionally a full beard and when I was feeling saucy, a pirate mustache and soul patch configuration). Whe I moved to the UK this summer, no one else in my company had facial-hair outside of one older South African with a regimental looking waxed moustache. So it went. My five yoear ould son didn't really notice, but my two year old daughter was a bit freaked for a few days.

Oddest part of the whole exercise was that for the first time since my early teens I had acne where the beard used to be. It cleared up in about a week.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
My facial hair is constantly changing, so it doesn't really shock people anymore. I usually grow it our for about a month or two then shave it all off.

Sometimes I'll groom it into some other shape, but usually I just grow it out 100% naturally (no grooming whatsoever).

ice

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2006, 08:41 AM

The first time I saw the title of this thread, I thought it said "Buzz off, ******".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules